Santana - III Sony Japan Quad SACD (Release date: November 24th, 2021)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But your 'assertion' that that those buried guitar parts might have been the result of accidentally pulling down the fader at the wrong time is likewise a random one. Why wasn't the faux pas discovered when they played back the Open Reel QUAD master?????

Absolutely agree, remixing a multi track master in the analogue domain had its drawbacks. But a good set of ears and intimate knowledge of the recording at hand would ensure that faux pas, of which I'm sure this is only a small example, would not likely occur.

hey Ralph, i would surmise they didn't rectify it because it was too late by then.

after all, CBS' engineers had already used up expensive studio time remixing it into Quad.

a Quad version wouldn't sell anywhere near as much as the regular Stereo LP anyway, so ultimately i would say the law of diminishing returns took precedence.

even if someone at CBS did discover it had been omitted accidentally rather than on purpose - and it may have been a conscious mix decision, although in this instance that feels unlikely - the chances of an Engineer being able to convince their Boss/Quad Remix Supervisor to spend more money on studio time to redo it feel pretty slim.

Thanks @sjcorne and @fredblue for the detailed and knowledgeable responses. Makes sense now although it’s still highly disappointing.

anytime my friend 🙂 it is always disappointing when aspects of a Quad mix mean the Quad doesn't have the same impact as the original version we cherish.

tbh (and sorry for the v.brief diversion from Santana) i think Gladys Knight's "Imagination" is the biggest Quad flop for me, as the Quad is so far removed from the sound of her Hit mixes on Buddah and everything that made those tracks standout i feel is gone in the Quad. such a shame as i love that woman and that period of her music is golden for me.. but that's the beauty of this Quad hobby, any new mix whether it be 4, 6, Atmos or more (!) channels can be more enjoyable than the Stereo or it can just be a disaster and not do anything for us at all but there's always the Stereo which nowadays we can often synthesize into a sorta-Surround that can be quite pleasingly Surround-y 👍

anytime my friend 🙂 it is always disappointing when aspects of a Quad mix mean the Quad doesn't have the same impact as the original version we cherish.

tbh (and sorry for the v.brief diversion from Santana) i think Gladys Knight's "Imagination" is the biggest Quad flop for me, as the Quad is so far removed from the sound of her Hit mixes on Buddah and everything that made those tracks standout i feel is gone in the Quad. such a shame as i love that woman and that period of her music is golden for me.. but that's the beauty of this Quad hobby, any new mix whether it be 4, 6, Atmos or more (!) channels can be more enjoyable than the Stereo or it can just be a disaster and not do anything for us at all but there's always the Stereo which nowadays we can often synthesize into a sorta-Surround that can be quite pleasingly Surround-y 👍

this post sponsored by Disaronno 🍷😅

But your 'assertion' that that those buried guitar parts might have been the result of accidentally pulling down the fader at the wrong time is likewise a random one. Why wasn't the faux pas discovered when they played back the Open Reel QUAD master?????

Absolutely agree, remixing a multi track master in the analogue domain had its drawbacks. But a good set of ears and intimate knowledge of the recording at hand would ensure that faux pas, of which I'm sure this is only a small example, would not likely occur.
More likely the missing guitar was in another track, so rather than pulling down a fader too early, it’s a lack of fading one up for that section’s later bit of guitar - an overdubbed section on another track, IMO.

More likely the missing guitar was in another track, so rather than pulling down a fader too early, it’s a lack of fading one up for that section’s later bit of guitar - an overdubbed section on another track, IMO.

Is separation software good enough yet for a home consumer to be able to isolate the guitar solo from the stereo version, then mix the missing/buried section back into the appropriate channel of the quad version at the right time, volume, etc.?

Is separation software good enough yet for a home consumer to be able to isolate the guitar solo from the stereo version, then mix the missing/buried section back into the appropriate channel of the quad version at the right time, volume, etc.?

you could probably separate it out from the Stereo but syncing it up to the Quad might be trickier? 🤔

i think it was maybe winopener who mentioned doing something along those lines with Billy Paul's "Me & Mrs. Jones" where the Quad has a totally different vocal from the Stereo?

I haven’t checked European suppliers yet, but I still haven’t found any American suppliers yet. Seems like it is just Japanese suppliers only right now.
Thanks .. still anxiously waiting for it to show up in Europe as the new customs charges here make it way too expensive to ship from Japan ..

I haven’t checked European suppliers yet, but I still haven’t found any American suppliers yet. Seems like it is just Japanese suppliers only right now.

Ryan, I have noticed that US vendor ImportCD has added some new Universal Japan UHQ MQA~CDs to their list as well as pre~orders but am wondering if SONY JAPAN either produced Santana III in very limited quantity possibly due to material shortages and/or is mandating DHL s/h even for European/U.S. Distributors which, IMO, could add considerably to the retail cost!

Last edited:
I think that it is simply everything is running slower right now. But things are (mostly) running.

I'm aiting for DD, or one of the other sites to get it in. And if they never do, I'll later buy Caravan and III together from Japan and be done with it.

Hmmm mine shipped from Japan on 22nd Nov, (airmail only), even with COVID something's not right
Regarding New Zealand, Japan Post says "Loading items onto airplanes is expected to take about two to three weeks due to the shortage of loading space caused by the reduction of flights", and "Delays will be experienced in the delivery of mail items in the country (territory), and items will not be handed directly to addressees."
Service availability by country - Japan Post

Cuz ya know it'll take atleast 1 month to make it onto a plane :(
The issue is basically financial, caused by the reduction in flights due to the pandemic. DHL has no problem getting such things to where I am (Australia) in a few days, but I got an email from CdJapan saying Japan Post returned my items to them (Birds of Fire and Santana III). CdJapan added that I could change my postage to DHL and it would be sent immediately, but at a price that was more than what the SACD cost. So, bottom line, you can get SACDs if you're prepared to pay the exorbitant postage price through private companies (which I'm not - thus I still wait for Japan Post to end the embargo).

The issue is basically financial, caused by the reduction in flights due to the pandemic. DHL has no problem getting such things to where I am (Australia) in a few days, but I got an email from CdJapan saying Japan Post returned my items to them (Birds of Fire and Santana III). CdJapan added that I could change my postage to DHL and it would be sent immediately, but at a price that was more than what the SACD cost. So, bottom line, you can get SACDs if you're prepared to pay the exorbitant postage price through private companies (which I'm not - thus I still wait for Japan Post to end the embargo).
Exactly, I paid about $24 for DHL service to NY and it only took a few days to be delivered, albeit at that lofty price, as opposed to $14 for a similar parcel just a few short years ago via EMS. Those were the days. I bought the same two SACD titles you did, plus a third, just so that I could spread that shipping cost on a per unit basis the best I could.

Back