Santana Lotus non-Japan LP: quad or not?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relayer

Hey all,

I know the Japanese vinyl and CD release of Lotus is SQ encoded, but what's the story on other versions of the vinyl?

I have a version of questionable origin and I can't tell whether it's quad or not (I find listening to it is inconclusive). Here's what the packaging says:

On the spine and back cover, it says CBS 66325 (81047/48/49) Printed in Germany. It also says STEREO inside a strange six-sided symbol. [Okay, so now it looks like it's stereo....]

On the front cover, there is a black sticker that says "AMAZING VALUE 3 Record Set for ONLY £9.95" and in very small print SQ66325. [Doesn't this hint at SQ quad?]

Finally, on the records themselves, the dead wax has the same numbers as above, but the label says "CBS/SONY INC. (Tokyo, Japan) MADE IN HOLLAND"

So... we now have three countries (four if you consider the "£" on the price sticker) and nothing conclusive about the recording itself.... any ideas?

Cheers,

Relayer

Hey Relayer,

It sounds like you have a "Holland" pressing in a German jacket, with a British price sticker! :yikes

I have only identified two vinyl pressings of Lotus.......the original Japanese pressing which is labeled "SQ" and the Holland pressing which is labeled "stereo" but is in fact SQ also. As is the Columbia CD issue of Lotus. :cool:

Lotus like Mountain's Twin Peaks double lp release appears to be an "SQ Master" recording, both were recorded live in Japan and mixed directly to an SQ Master. Therefore, every pressing/issue of these releases is SQ encoded. :D

As "live" recordings........there isn't a whole lot of rear-channel action, and without a TATE or S&IC you won't be able to extract the most discrete portions of the albums well. But, nevertheless.......your Holland pressing is SQ, and you won't find a difference even if you get the Japanese or CD issues. (y)

QuadBob said:
I have only identified two vinyl pressings of Lotus.......the original Japanese pressing which is labeled "SQ" and the Holland pressing which is labeled "stereo" but is in fact SQ also. As is the Columbia CD issue of Lotus. :cool:

Sweet! I picked up this copy of Lotus on the suspicion that it might actually be a quad... now I can move it from the plain, old, regular records crate to the quad crate. Woo-hoo!

Lotus has to be the best (or at least the most over-the-top) triple LP packaging extravaganza ever... So many folding out, secretly compartmented goodies that one's fun with the cover can easily last through a full play of all six sides. (y)

Relayer

Relayer said:
Hey all,

I know the Japanese vinyl and CD release of Lotus is SQ encoded, but what's the story on other versions of the vinyl?

Wow! I did not know this album was encoded in SQ! I don't have SQ capability anymore but will have to hear how it sounds through some of my Pro-Logic DSP settings. Sometimes I get good results this way.
I also agree with you Relayer... a great live album with an AMAZING album cover. We sure got our money's worth with this package!
Tim

The Santana - Lotus CD set is my "go to" for Santana Live! (through the TATE II) (y)

But even better "quadraphonically" is the Mountain - Twin Peaks CD. (also SQ encoded). The long/live version of Nantucket Sleighride is "quad" enough to really get you into the music! (y)

And, even better, I've seen the CD discounted at around $6.99 new in the stores! :D Of course I paid over $100 for the Japanese pressed SQ vinyl copy just to find that out! :(

Back