Santana Quad SACD Lament

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakti

So, it's the 50th anniversary of Santana's breakthrough with the Woodstock performance and release of their debut album. And I just had to lament the apalling lack of digital releases of Santana Quad mixes. So far all we have is:

Abraxas (DTS CD, long out of print)
Illuminations (SACD on Dutton Vocalion, terrific release, but as much as I love the album, it is possibly the most esoteric Santana-related release, and as a surround experience it is good but not spectacular)
Lotus (3xSACD on Sony Japan. Stunning album and lots of unreleased material, gorgeous sound and packaging, but again as a surround experience it's not all that exciting)

I am thankful for what we have got, but really...come on! The core Santana albums on some kind of digital format are just, way, way overdue. Is anybody out there listening? Sony Japan - what happened? Michael Dutton - is there anything you can do? My mind is boggling and my mouth is salivating at the prospect of hearing Santana, Abraxas, III, Caravanserai, Welcome and Borboletta in surround. Sprinkle with some Love, Devotion and Surrender and I would be one very happy camper. It's about time!

So, it's the 50th anniversary of Santana's breakthrough with the Woodstock performance and release of their debut album. And I just had to lament the apalling lack of digital releases of Santana Quad mixes. So far all we have is:

Abraxas (DTS CD, long out of print)
Illuminations (SACD on Dutton Vocalion, terrific release, but as much as I love the album, it is possibly the most esoteric Santana-related release, and as a surround experience it is good but not spectacular)
Lotus (3xSACD on Sony Japan. Stunning album and lots of unreleased material, gorgeous sound and packaging, but again as a surround experience it's not all that exciting)

I am thankful for what we have got, but really...come on! The core Santana albums on some kind of digital format are just, way, way overdue. Is anybody out there listening? Sony Japan - what happened? Michael Dutton - is there anything you can do? My mind is boggling and my mouth is salivating at the prospect of hearing Santana, Abraxas, III, Caravanserai, Welcome and Borboletta in surround. Sprinkle with some Love, Devotion and Surrender and I would be one very happy camper. It's about time!

In the few years I've been posting on QQ Forum this subject has come up time and again......especially considering Santana remains one of Columbia Records/Sony's most prestigious rock artists over those 50+ years, selling millions of albums.

IMO, the only record company who could make this happen is SONY Japan and I've petitioned on this forum for a comprehensive QUAD SACD boxset for those fourteen or so Santana QUAD albums which remain locked up tight in the vaults.

Even though Dutton Vocalion was able to offer us Santana/Coltrane's Illuminations as a stunningly executed QUAD SACD, doubtful they would be able to license all those Santana core QUAD remixes for future release as I'm sure licensing fees would exceed their threshold.

Since many other artists are celebrating their 35th, 40th and even 50th anniversaries by releasing elaborate box sets sometimes with a newly remixed surround disc, one would think the time has come to celebrate Santana's many years of excellence with an elaborate QUAD boxset of their own.

The question arises, does anyone on this forum have any contacts for the [IMO] ELUSIVE SONY Japan?

SANTANA QUAD RELEASES:
SANTANA -
Abraxas. Columbia PCQ-30130 (SQ), CAQ-30130 (Q8), CBS/Sony
SOPN-44004 (SQ) [Japan], CBS Q-64087 (SQ) [UK], CBS-Q-64087 (SQ)
red vinyl [Yugoslavia], CBS/Sony KJPL-0016 (SQ) [Korea],
CBS Q 64087 (SQ) [Spain], CBS Q 86005 (SQ) [Denmark]
Amigos. Columbia PCQ-33576 (SQ), CBS SQ 86005 (SQ) [Israel]
BBC Rock Hour Paris Theater '77, show #31 & 32 (SQR) two 7-1/2ips 2-track
Reel to Reels [UK] TT 2539 & 2540
Black magic woman B/W Everybody's Everything. Epic CBS/Sony
SOPA-29 (SQ45) [Japan]
Borboletta. Columbia PCQ-33135 (SQ), CAQ-33135 (DQ8),
CBS Q-69084 (SQ) [Israel & Holland], CBS PCQ-33135 (SQ) [UK]
Caravanserai. Columbia PCQ-31610 (SQ), CAQ-31610 (Q8),
CBS Q-65299 (SQ) [UK], CBS/Sony SOPN-38 (SQ) [Japan]
* Concierto En Japon. CBS CS-10.322 (SQ) [Venezuela]
{Same as Lotus. No indication of quad}
Festival. Columbia PCQ-34423 (SQ), CAQ-34423 (DQ8), CBSQ-86020 (SQ) [Israel]
* Greatest Hits. Columbia PCQ-33050 (SQ), CAQ-33050 (DQ8), CBS
Q-69081 (SQ) [Holland, Netherlands & UK], CBS QS-1005 (QS) [Peru]
{Greatest Hits was issued in Peru, the cover uses the sansui QS font but but does not
list anything about QS encoding. If it is the Quadraphonic Version it is probably SQ
but could also be the stereo version. Status has not yet been determined}
Grande Exitos (Greatest Hits). CBS Q 69081 (SQ) [Spain]
Lotus [3 LP] CBS/Sony SOPZ 7,8,9 (Later 63AP 821-3) (SQ) [Japan]
{The title above was released only in quad, no stereo version known}
Santana (1st Album). Columbia PCQ-32964 (SQ), CAQ-32964 (DQ8), CBS
CQ-32964 (SQ) [UK]
* Santana (3rd Album). Columbia PCQ-30595 (SQ), CAQ-30595 (DQ8),
CBS Q-69015 (SQ) [UK], CBS/Sony SOPN-18 [Later SOPN-88] (SQ) [Japan],
CQ-30595 (SQ) [Philippines]
Santana "Welcome". Columbia 7Q-32445 (SQEP)
{Includes-Yours is the Light; Samba de Sausalito; Love Devotion and Surrender;
Light of Life}
Stereo Pop Special 139 '77 - Pop Spectacular. Record CN 2725/SQ (SQ)
Welcome. Columbia PCQ-32445 (SQ), CAQ-32445 (DQ8), CBS Q-69040
(SQ) [UK], CBS Q4PLC-37132 (SQ) [Chile]

CARLOS SANTANA & ALICE COLTRANE -
Illuminations. Columbia CQ-32900 (SQ), CAQ-32900 (DQ8)

CARLOS SANTANA & BUDDY MILES -
Live. Columbia CQ-31308 (SQ), CAQ-31308 (Q8), CBS/Sony SOPN-39 {later
SOPN-89 & SOPL-110} (SQ)
[Japan]

CARLOS SANTANA & JOHN MCLAUGHLIN -
Love, Devotion, Surrender. Columbia CQ-32034 (SQ), CAQ-32034
(Q

Last edited:
Sony Japan - what happened? Michael Dutton - is there anything you can do? My mind is boggling and my mouth is salivating at the prospect of hearing Santana, Abraxas, III, Caravanserai, Welcome and Borboletta in surround.

I think the first four would have to be through Sony Japan, but maybe a Welcome & Borboletta two-fer is something plausible for D-V? I don't think those two have been reissued nearly as much as the others. I know MoFi stopped at Caravanserai.

I was hoping for an elaborate box set for the debut album's 50th anniversary, but that date came and went (8/30). Oh well, at least I've got my SQ LPs and Q8s :)

I've been asking myself the same question. It would be spectacular to have these on SACD from Sony Japan in their deluxe 7 inch packaging. Those releases are just a joy to have and let's face it, SQ LPs don't do justice to these recordings!

Would LOVE any of these quads, but the first three albums ... that would be a dream come true!

The first 3 albums deserve to have their quad mixes released on SACD or BluRay in high resolution, and the longer they wait (as with all 50+ year old acts) the smaller the market gets as we all kick off. Seems like Sony needs to get off their corporate butt and get a reissue series going, even if it's only in $60 Japan land. You know they'll sell. If LOTUS sold, these would sell - and outsell Lotus for sure.

At the risk of going (sort of) OT, what’s your take on the Shaman DVD-A? I recall thinking it might be some kind of upmix/un-wrap job.

It is more of an "immersive" style of mix, but does have discrete components...albiet that may be duplicated in the fronts. Some tracks definitely sound more like upmixes than others. It's nowhere near anything like, say the Elton John's.

There was something in the S3 thread hinting a March 2022 schedule...

Back