"Santana" SACD out in September from Sony Japan (!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope they start with the debut album as it's my personal favorite and the hardest one to find in legacy form - both the SQ LP and Q8 are surprisingly rare. The quad version didn't come out until 1974, so it wasn't in print for nearly as long as some of the other Santana quad LPs. Abraxas, III, and Caravanserai were all part of that initial rollout of gold-bordered CBS SQ LPs and are still pretty common today.

The SQ LPs of the first three albums all sound really thin for some reason - hopefully Sony Japan's mastering engineers can bring out a bit more 'punch' on those titles if they end up doing them.

Last edited:
I hope they start with the debut album as it's my personal favorite and the hardest one to find in legacy form - both the SQ LP and Q8 are surprisingly rare. The quad version didn't come out until 1974, so it wasn't in print for nearly as long as some of the other Santana quad LPs. Abraxas, III, and Caravanserai were all part of that initial rollout of gold-bordered CBS SQ LPs and are still pretty common today.

The SQ LPs of the first three albums all sound really thin for some reason - hopefully Sony Japan's mastering engineers can bring out a bit more 'punch' on those titles if they end up doing them.

But I'm almost certain, Jonathan, that SONY Japan's impeccable remastering in DSD QUAD from the ORIGINAL ANALOGUE 15 ips QUAD MASTERS will be a vast improvement over any prior SQ vinyl or Q8 versions as even Dutton Vocalion's SONY QUAD SACDs have unequivocally proved!

SONY Japan's impeccable remastering in DSD QUAD from the ORIGINAL ANALOGUE 15 ips QUAD MASTERS will be a vast improvement over any prior SQ vinyl or Q8 versions as even Dutton Vocalion's SONY QUAD SACDs have unequivocally proved!

I don't recall saying otherwise.

Hmm 🤔 what was the sequence of Sony 7” SACDs for the Jeff Beck titles?

March 2014: Blow By Blow
July 2016: Beck, Bogert & Appice
July 2016: The Jeff Beck Group
November 2016: Wired
January 2017: Rough and Ready

If memory serves, the 7" edition of Blow By Blow re-used the mastering from the original Sony SACD (with phase errors). The rest were all fresh transfers from the original tapes.

March 2014: Blow By Blow
July 2016: Beck, Bogert & Appice
July 2016: The Jeff Beck Group
November 2016: Wired
January 2017: Rough and Ready

If memory serves, the 7" edition of Blow By Blow re-used the mastering from the original Sony SACD (with phase errors). The rest were all fresh transfers from the original tapes.
I just realized 2016 was packed with a nice grouping followed quickly in 2017, perhaps once they decide to get it rolling we could get these fairly fast. Just saw an AXSTV show about Prince and how Warner was pissed at him because he was too prolific with his material, being afraid of market saturation; to the point of Prince trying to get it out to the fans against his contract by basically what amounted to selling bootleg material. So a little surprised Sony did it that fast to be candid.

Last edited:
This album came out when I was in high school. I loved Santana and snapped it up, but I was very disappointed because it wasn't like (in my mind) his otherr Santana albums. Fast forward to Labor Day weekend 2015 when I drove myself to my Dad's house 1.5 hours away and began listening to it over and over. At least once a day for about 1 year. 40 years or so can change the way you appreciate music. It still gets pretty regular plays, but MAN I would love to have a multichannel version.

This album came out when I was in high school. I loved Santana and snapped it up, but I was very disappointed because it wasn't like (in my mind) his otherr Santana albums. Fast forward to Labor Day weekend 2015 when I drove myself to my Dad's house 1.5 hours away and began listening to it over and over. At least once a day for about 1 year. 40 years or so can change the way you appreciate music. It still gets pretty regular plays, but MAN I would love to have a multichannel version.
Don't know if you're saying you've never heard it in Quad, but as usual it's a whole different (much improved) experience in my opinion.

This album came out when I was in high school. I loved Santana and snapped it up, but I was very disappointed because it wasn't like (in my mind) his otherr Santana albums.

Absolutely true, Columbia was very reluctant to release it, it wasn't a commercially-viable album for them, no hit single to extract... at the end they agreed on the release and sales-wise were expecting a dud, instead it sold a lot.
It's the turning point of Santana going jazz-rock and experimenting outside the rock-latino flavours of the first three album... and what a masterpiece came out.

Fast forward to Labor Day weekend 2015 when I drove myself to my Dad's house 1.5 hours away and began listening to it over and over. At least once a day for about 1 year. 40 years or so can change the way you appreciate music. It still gets pretty regular plays, but MAN I would love to have a multichannel version.

Prepare to be blown away... the stereo is great, the quad is incredible. One of the few albums that takes you for a trip without need of any other stuff, legal or not.

Don't know if you're saying you've never heard it in Quad, but as usual it's a whole different (much improved) experience in my opinion.
Yes, I meant to say that I have never heard it in Quad. In fact, until some Quad mixes were included in the Jethro Tull reissues I'd never heard anything in Quad. I really enjoy those. I'd love to hear Caravanserai in Quad. I was dirt poor back in the day when Quad and Quad systems were being sold.

Absolutely true, Columbia was very reluctant to release it, it wasn't a commercially-viable album for them, no hit single to extract... at the end they agreed on the release and sales-wise were expecting a dud, instead it sold a lot.
It's the turning point of Santana going jazz-rock and experimenting outside the rock-latino flavours of the first three album... and what a masterpiece came out.

Prepare to be blown away... the stereo is great, the quad is incredible. One of the few albums that takes you for a trip without need of any other stuff, legal or not.
Thanks to people like you and the others on this forum I now have a chance to do so.

The quad mix is great, but I still feel that way about the music. I guess I just haven't had that 'a-ha' moment yet. Maybe it'll finally come with an SACD reissue :)
I came around to liking it by being drawn to Mahavishnu Orchestra and then to the collaborations between John McLaughlin and Carlos. Kind of backed into Caravanserai.

I have a QUAD mix of Caravanserai which I got from somewhere on the net-probably a needledrop. It sounds good but I know an official release would sound much better!

If this does indeed come to pass I don't think we'll hear anything about it until after the Herbie Hancock Headhunters disc is released in September - if it is announced around then, I suppose a pre-Christmas release isn't out of the question. By the same token, Japan isn't beholden to the Christmas shopping season the way we are - at least a couple of the releases in this series have been in January (one of the Miles Davis, and one of the Jeff Becks) so anything's possible.

In any event, if/when there's movement on this, this thread will be updated - you can click the 'watch' button at the top of the thread and you'll get notifications when there are new posts.

Back