Quantcast

"Santana" SACD out in September from Sony Japan (!)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Nyad

Must be a really slow boat!
Yes, went with the cheapest airmail option, mainly because it has worked in the past, but of course COVID has screwed up air travel to NZ, and there are back-logged mountains of non-priority mail waiting to get here. Entry for non-essential, non-resident travel is pretty low especially with the costly 2 week mandatory quarantine, and the planes just don't come here frequently any more, being at the ends of the earth.

Imbobman

I know how you feel kennethbg, I recently ordered this one together with Herbie Hancock's Head Hunter from importcds.
Head Hunter has shipped but Santana shows as back ordered...😣
Could be a long wait....

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again. For these Japanese Sony 7" SACD quad releases, your best bet is to just order it from CDJapan. Their packing is superb, their shipping is reliable and quick, and you'll be sure that you will get the disc. In the case of a title that might sell out, for example "Santana" vs Tapestry or the 2 Billy Joel's that were already released in the past as a 5.1 SACD, you are taking a risk purchasing it from other sources.

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again. For these Japanese Sony 7" SACD quad releases, your best bet is to just order it from CDJapan. Their packing is superb, their shipping is reliable and quick, and you'll be sure that you will get the disc. In the case of a title that might sell out, for example "Santana" vs Tapestry or the 2 Billy Joel's that were already released in the past as a 5.1 SACD, you are taking a risk purchasing it from other sources.
Great points .... Jon......but the Billy Joel and Santana sets are still available for purchase from CDJapan :)

kennethbg

Yes you are right I have Abraxas on order with Cdjapan only someone on the site said order it off Amazon japan as it was a bit cheaper and they had very good service from them. As they say you learn by your mistakes so I will not do that again.

jefe1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Well I got my Santana from importcd
This time I ordered Abraxas from cdjapan
I did choose air shipping not DHL to save some costs. So I ll see what happens.
More money but you do get a postcard....

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
i would apply a small caveat for QQ-ers in Europe, specifically the UK, buying from CDJapan and that is just to factor in the inevitable customs duty and handling charges, which make each order from them (irrespective of shipping method in my experience) around 25% more expensive than the total price paid to the vendor.

perzon57

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Here in Norway we have to pay VAT on every import,but DHL has a handing fee of $20.That's more than the VAT.I ordered Abraxas from aman.co.jp as they charge VAT without a handling fee and transfer it to the Norwegian tax authority.Saves me $20.So much new music now,so I can wait.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Great points .... Jon......but the Billy Joel and Santana sets are still available for purchase from CDJapan :)
That why I said 'vs' those titles that were previously available. Those are less likely to sell out, as opposed to 'Santana' or 'Abraxas', which never had an earlier surround SACD release

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Here in Norway we have to pay VAT on every import,but DHL has a handing fee of $20.That's more than the VAT.I ordered Abraxas from aman.co.jp as they charge VAT without a handling fee and transfer it to the Norwegian tax authority.Saves me $20.So much new music now,so I can wait.
while Brits are technically also due VAT duty and charges on every import over a certain value (think its about £15 quid now?) it is hit and miss with a number of packages arriving without a charge despite them being accurately declared by the shipper, however with CDJapan i've found it to be a fee hit every flummin' time! i'm used to it after all these years but still... it is what it is.. to be forewarned is to be forearmed, is to be four earred.. and all that jazz! 💪

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
while Brits are technically also due VAT duty and charges on every import over a certain value (think its about £15 quid now?) it is hit and miss with a number of packages arriving without a charge despite them being accurately declared by the shipper, however with CDJapan i've found it to be a fee hit every flummin' time! i'm used to it after all these years but still... it is what it is.. to be forewarned is to be forearmed, is to be four earred.. and all that jazz! 💪
I haven't had anything over £15 without paying tax & the rip-off fee no matter where it has come from or via Royal Mail/DHL/FedEx... :(

Imbobman

Yes you are right I have Abraxas on order with Cdjapan only someone on the site said order it off Amazon japan as it was a bit cheaper and they had very good service from them. As they say you learn by your mistakes so I will not do that again.
Never ordered from Amazon japan..What happened with that? ...Have ordered from CdJapan, say 4-5 years back. Good service but now with the limited shipping methods available to the USA, it's very expensive.
..& not to go down some rabbit trail but these frickin' taxes, regardless of where you are, they suck:mad:

perzon57

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Here in Norway the limit was $35 including postage,but this spring it changed to VAT from the first cent.I have nothing against paying VAT,but I hate the fees that in most cases are more than VAT. :mad:

Imbobman

Good News, I just received Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters from Importcds today. Very quick service, 6 days (..no Santana yet, on back order).
This is the 1st Japanese Sony 7" SACD quad release I'd ever gotten.
Great packaging, design & quality, etc. :)
Just like a LP but the size of a 45rpm record. Really clever, I'm impressed! One thing though, I do wish more of the text was in English so I could understand it:(

Last edited: