"Santana" SACD out in September from Sony Japan (!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
So after discovering that Herbie Hancock's Headhunters was going to be the next 7" SACD from Sony Japan, I got to thinking, if their SACD Jazz releases were SICJ, and that (SICJ 10014) was the most recent one, what was their most recent pop (SICP) SACD release?

So I did some digging, and the last one I could find on discogs was the special edition of Billy Joel's The Stranger (SICP-10029~31) and thought I'd do some speculative googling on the catalog numbers that follow SICP-10031 just to see if it turns anything up, and well, it did.

SICP 10032~33 appears to be a 7" SACD + BluRay of Dream Theater's Distance Over Time (subtitled 'Japan Tour Collector's Edition'). The only mention I can find of it is on eBay, so I'm wondering if it was cancelled presuming that Dream Theater's tour of Japan never happened.

So I went on from there, and tried SICP-10134, and it only turned up one result, from a media vendor in Japan called Tsutaya. When I clicked on it I got a 404 'Page Not Found' error, but luckily Google cached the page before it was deleted and I was able to retrieve the cached version of the page and translate it. This is a screenhot of the page, just in case it disappears:

1595912885697.png

As you can see, it lists Santana-SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition-(HYB) [Limited Edition] with the description as "paper sleeve/paper jacket", Item No. SICP 10134.

Now I don't know if the Tsutaya shop has jumped the gun on the announcement of something that's on the way, or if this release was cancelled (you can see it says [Discontinued]) to make way for the Herbie Hancock Headhunters release, but I would suggest that either way it bodes well for a future Santana 7" SACD release from Sony Japan. If it's the first Santana album they're referring to, it could very well be the first in a series of releases, akin to the way Sony Japan worked its way through the Jeff Beck quad catalog - given the ridiculous attention to detail with the Lotus release, even getting the original engineer to come back and remix a third disc of outtakes in quad, I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibility, if this listing is correct.

Wow, great detective work columbodave! 🕵️‍♂️ This will be mega! I was hoping for a "just one more thing" mentioning perhaps Aerosmith but maybe that's for another episode further down the line?! Very encouraging... :cool:

R-1851876-1247838401.jpeg.jpg

The text in red under Santana translated as 'Artist Mail' which I guess was/is the link to register...

Last edited:
Great work, @steelydave, but I think a couple of your product numbers are off by one digit, probably accidentally. So Billy Joel's The Stranger is actually SICP-10129~31, and the two other products look like this:

SICP-10132: Dream Theater: Distance over Time (Japan Tour Edition) (Japanese: ディスタンス・オーヴァー・タイム -ジャパン・ツアー・コレクターズ・エディション-) (Blu-ray + SACD) (JAN: 4547366448955)

SICP-10134: Santana: Santana (Japanese: サンタナ-SA-CDマルチ・ハイブリッド・エディション-(HYB) [初回限定盤]) (Hybrid Multi-Channel SACD) (JAN: 4547366456929)

When anyone finds one or more of these phantom listings, I think we should also list the JAN (EAN/UPC) number when possible, as that can sometimes be used to bring up other listings. For example, through its JAN number, I found a cached page which, when you scroll down, shows the listing for the Dream Theater release here at Honya Club.

Last edited:
if Sony Japan were to do all the Santana Quads on these 7" SACDs we'd be in dream come true territory for a number of us QQ-ers here, i think! 🤩

speaking for myself, absolutely.. nay, definitely this would be a biggy, several Santana Quads being superb examples of surround music.. Borboletta, Caravanserai, Love Devotion & Surrender are favourites among them.

i would even go so far as to say i'd "Welcome" (pun intended ☺ ) MultiCh SACDs of "Amigos" and "Festival", even if the last two Santana Quad mixes are fake fudge confections (as the legacy Quad formats for each would suggest) it would still be good to have them in the best quality possible.. now i'm keeping everything crossed for the best outcome! 🤞

edit: oh and how about Borboletta with an authentically silvery blue foil sleeve, please? 🙏

Great work, @steelydave, but I think a couple of your product numbers are off by one digit, probably accidentally. So Billy Joel's The Stranger is actually SICP-10129~31, and the two other products look like this:

SICP-10132: Dream Theater: Distance over Time (Japan Tour Edition) (Japanese: ディスタンス・オーヴァー・タイム -ジャパン・ツアー・コレクターズ・エディション-) (Blu-ray + SACD) (JAN: 4547366448955)

SICP-10134: Santana: Santana (Japanese: サンタナ-SA-CDマルチ・ハイブリッド・エディション-(HYB) [初回限定盤]) (Hybrid Multi-Channel SACD) (JAN: 4547366456929)

When anyone finds one or more of these phantom listings, I think we should also list the JAN (EAN/UPC) number when possible, as that can sometimes be used to bring up other listings. For example, through its JAN number, I found a cached page which, when you scroll down, shows the listing for the Dream Theater release here at Honya Club.

I swear to god, I looked at your post (and then mine) like 10 times thinking "what does he mean off by one digit, what an ahole!" and then I finally saw it. You're right, it's 10129~31, 10132~33 (Dream Theater) and 10134 (Santana).

Thanks for supplying the JAN numbers - I've set up google alerts for both SICP 10134 and the associated JAN number so hopefully I'll be the first to know if any more listings/references to this disc appear elsewhere on the web.

I swear to god, I looked at your post (and then mine) like 10 times thinking "what does he mean off by one digit, what an ahole!" and then I finally saw it. You're right, it's 10129~31, 10132~33 (Dream Theater) and 10134 (Santana).

Thanks for supplying the JAN numbers - I've set up google alerts for both SICP 10134 and the associated JAN number so hopefully I'll be the first to know if any more listings/references to this disc appear elsewhere on the web.

Yes, it's a bit confusing to look at and easy to get wrong. :) With four letters and five numbers, Sony really use too many characters in some of these product codes.

I seriously didn't know you could do that.
I'm gonna start utilizing that tool myself!

:)

Back