"Santana" SACD out in September from Sony Japan (!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine,

F4wht4I.jpg

SZVYceQ.jpg

Wtni23I.jpg

skcb2I8.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
Mines being delivered today too! Had to pay £22 duty in it so would have been cheaper to amazon.co.jp rather than CDJapan but I wanted that bonus content!

Not sure paying the extra £15 or so for a postcard was a wise move but it’s too late now 😆

Was able to pay do the duty upfront so should be no problems with delivery

OK, this is annoying!

This morning it was Out For Delivery but it never actually arrived and now the tracking says...

Estimated Delivery Date
28. September 2020
Further Detail
The shipment could not be delivered immediately

What doesn't that mean?

Can anyone explain why Airmail from Japan Post is still "temporarily suspended" (to Oz, but also the US) due to COVID-19, but FedEx and DHL are not? I would have thought that all carriers would have to abide by the same COVID safeguards (whatever they may be), and if so, what's the issue with Japan Post?
IDK about that, but my DHL tracking was on hold at a CINCINNATI HUB, OH for about a day, and now says it's in Sacramento for delivery today (actually a day earlier than promised) after going through a main S.F. stop (seems inefficient to me.) So maybe they're just sorting out logistics on all this stuff. I imagine it's a huge undertaking these days, that us spoiled folks just don't comprehend :unsure:

Anybody expecting their cdjapan DHL package to land at your front door, check your mailbox.
That's where mine was.

The DHL tracking site says "forwarded for delivery", estimated delivery date Tuesday.

Hooray for the US Mail!

Edit: The package has a USPS 1-Day Priority Mail label with tracking number that was generated by the local DHL office in the city where the DHL tracking stated forwarded for delivery.

The second tracking number is not visible on the DHL site.

Similar to some UPS and Amazon shipments.
The mail carrier goes down your street every day, so handles the final delivery.

Last edited:
Mines being delivered today too! Had to pay £22 duty in it so would have been cheaper to amazon.co.jp rather than CDJapan but I wanted that bonus content!

Not sure paying the extra £15 or so for a postcard was a wise move but it’s too late now 😆

Was able to pay do the duty upfront so should be no problems with delivery
A tiny postcard it is!

Got it this morning. That was quick, JP to Melbourne...
:cry:
You've got yours when you ordered after me (after I recommended them to you too!), and mine still hasn't been sent - plus you say Japan Post delivered it when their website says Japan Post have "temporarily suspended" shipping to Oz (I assume you did go with CDJapan as Amazon.jp won't deliver to us).

Very confusing. :confused:

Got it just a few hours ago, and a day early from DHL. The transaction was easy with CDJapan. Although, I use ImportCDs sometimes, depending.

If you’re not using the “Informed Delivery” free service, from USPO, I recommend it. It’s nice to get an email in the morning, letting me know what’s coming. This also comes in handy on those rare occasions, when one doesn’t get the second tracking numbers if there’s a hand off to the Post Office.

Overall first impressions: Excellent. Just as I expected it to be. Sound quality great, a faithful representation of what the Quad Master was/is. I just played the title all the way through. Bring on the rest of the Santana Quadraphonic titles!

I have to admit, after all these years, I wasn’t going to believe this was a real thing until the disc arrived and I hit play.

Santana.jpg

First impressions after one listen are really good! I can't imagine the quad mix sounding any better than this. Full dynamic range and the bass response in particular is much improved from the past SQ LP and Q8 releases. There are a few moments where it feels slightly dull, but that may come down to simply the age of the material and how it was originally recorded.

I love the quad mix--it's impressive how well it turned out considered the limited # of tracks on the master and SQ mixing rules--but I will concede that it's not entirely faithful to the original stereo and there are a few weird mixing decisions where stuff that was prominent in stereo gets pushed further into the background on the quad (lead guitar during parts of "Shades Of Time", lead vocals in "Persuasion", drums in "You Just Don't Care").

JUST ARRIVED....DHL from CDJapan.......and FIRST IMPRESSION: You have to absolutely revere Sony Japan's absolute attention to detail from the spectacular packaging to the Gold Colored hybrid 4.0 SACD securely attached in a plastic placeholder within a dust jacket.

And the Sound: With the MoFi Stereo SACD played just a few days ago in mind, this SONY DSD remaster comfortably eclipses the former. Ample bass and super crisp highs emanating from both front and rear speakers is resolute. We can all feel confident retiring all previous SQ vinyl, Q8s and even the pricey MoFi Stereo remaster.

Santana has arrived after 50 years in spectacular fashion sounding as though he hasn't aged a bit ....... and we can now revel in Sony Japan's commitment to release all those Santana core albums ......in sonics we've NEVER HEARD PREVIOUSLY.

Next UP: Headhunters!

Last edited:
IDK about that, but my DHL tracking was on hold at a CINCINNATI HUB, OH for about a day, and now says it's in Sacramento for delivery today (actually a day earlier than promised) after going through a main S.F. stop (seems inefficient to me.) So maybe they're just sorting out logistics on all this stuff. I imagine it's a huge undertaking these days, that us spoiled folks just don't comprehend :unsure:

Hate to say it...but you nailed it...spoiled doesn't really cover it...in the middle of a pendemic and the whining is louder than ever....I just shake my head when I see some of these reactions...we waited 2 years for a title and then when it becomes available people lose their minds if it's not in their hands right away:censored:

Can't complain about the delivery service. We live somewhat in the wilderness compared to a major city but still received it on the same day as those in capital cities (and mine was scheduled for delivery on the 1st of October). Now, where are those Doobies and Lotus and Fleetwood Mac? The latter two from ImportCDs. No rush though

Last edited:
Hate to say it...but you nailed it...spoiled doesn't really cover it...in the middle of a pendemic and the whining is louder than ever....I just shake my head when I see some of these reactions...we waited 2 years for a title and then when it becomes available people lose their minds if it's not in their hands right away:censored:
Yup, ✋ I've thought about some of the shameful whining I've done; and have to think- "what the fuck do I really know about the inside hassles of the shipping business" :oops: It's a constant battle with myself to keep a lid on the id.

Mine was on my porch when I got home. I ordered from Amazon Japan, so looks like about the same delivery time as cdjapan.

I'm 3 songs into listening and it sounds great! Really good fidelity and awesome separation.

Back