"Santana" SACD out in September from Sony Japan (!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cry:
You've got yours when you ordered after me (after I recommended them to you too!), and mine still hasn't been sent - plus you say Japan Post delivered it when their website says Japan Post have "temporarily suspended" shipping to Oz (I assume you did go with CDJapan as Amazon.jp won't deliver to us).

Very confusing. :confused:
I ordered from CDJapan, using DHL (which is apparently better than FedEx for shipping to Australia). It was surprisingly quick. Most of the times I have to wait for weeks, compared to our friends on EU or the US. Hope you get yours soon!

Anyone else see this?! I figured the Q8 would drop in value.

Santana Q8 Bid 9-24-20.jpg

I ordered from CDJapan, using DHL (which is apparently better than FedEx for shipping to Australia). It was surprisingly quick. Most of the times I have to wait for weeks, compared to our friends on EU or the US. Hope you get yours soon!
Ah, it was the "JP" in your original post that made me think you'd ordered through Japan Post, not those carriers. I'd just like an idea from CDJapan/JP of when the restrictions to Oz will be lifted - there's no hurry, given the flood of recent releases that will keep me busy (e.g. Nick Mason, Herbie, Roger Waters, Steve Hackett), it's just the uncertainty about a posting date that irks me.

Ah, it was the "JP" in your original post that made me think you'd ordered through Japan Post, not those carriers. I'd just like an idea from CDJapan/JP of when the restrictions to Oz will be lifted - there's no hurry, given the flood of recent releases that will keep me busy (e.g. Nick Mason, Herbie, Roger Waters, Steve Hackett), it's just the uncertainty about a posting date that irks me.
Yeah, what happened to me is that I ordered a lot of stuff at the beginning of this second lockdown (for Melbourne). I've been waiting for weeks and I'm now getting a parcel almost every day! And of course, they are probably going to ease restrictions this Sunday, so will not listen to the stuff I purchased too soon :) I hope!

Got a call from DHL today that my package has arrived at customs in Athens, Greece after DHL processing fees, customs, yadda yadda yadda the 3 SACDS I ordered Santana, Headhnters, Live Evil) are going to cost me an ADDITIONAL 70 Euro at today's rate...that's about $82.
So my fellow US Quadheads be grateful you live in the USA where custom fees pretty much don't exist..
As for us Europeans, we are on the short end of that stick..:(

Got a call from DHL today that my package has arrived at customs in Athens, Greece after DHL processing fees, customs, yadda yadda yadda the 3 SACDS I ordered Santana, Headhnters, Live Evil) are going to cost me an ADDITIONAL 70 Euro at today's rate...that's about $82.
So my fellow US Quadheads be grateful you live in the USA where custom fees pretty much don't exist..

Very sorry to hear this. What's really annoying is that the bloody fees are often more than the customs duties themselves. We once bought a throw rug while in Nepal where the duties and fees added 50% to the cost. Then I had to go from building, to building, to building at Newark airport to take care of all this and it took several hours. Never again.

Oh, and then the next day our cat decided to christen the new carpet by throwing up on it....The little guy was aware it was new and made a beeline for it as soon as he got the urge to upchuck.

Last edited:

So sorry for your troubles. Yes, sometimes the people in USA don't know how lucky we are not only in that, in many many things. Lots of people here take things for granted.

Kind regards,

Thanks ! I used to live in the USA for over 30 years and I know firsthand what great deals the US vendors offer.

Since moving to Crete Greece(I'm not complaining I live on a beautiful island) I have been limited to internet purchases from Europe.

As an example of the price differences, the upcoming stand alone Blu ray of Pink Floyd DSOT costs:

The Moose ..$28 ..roughly 23.70 Euros
Amazon UK 42.99 roughly $54

So we get stiffed yet again...

It's funny on the CDjapan shipping notice they indicate:
"Customs Duties
The customs office of your country may randomly
charge customs duties on incoming packages.
Our shipping charge does not cover these charges.
In case they are charged on your order, it will be
your responsibility to complete them to receive
your package. Please note that CDJapan
prices do not include any Japanese tax at all."

Unfortunately I am on of those random cases.

On another note my Doobie Brothers Quadio finally arrived today.
I got a reply back from Rhino today also, and they write.
"We are very sorry for the delay. Delivery to a non-USA address has been taking up to 2 months to be received due to the global pandemic. All International shipments are made via international post (mail).

You are responsible for any taxes or duties assessed by your government. These are not included in shipping charges. We are unfortunately unable to provide tracking information for international shipments, but we can confirm that your order has shipped on Aug 31, 2020."

What nerve to say this after they collected import duties up front! Lucky I didn't get charged by the Post Office.
By the sounds of it if your package gets lost you are out of luck, at least for international orders.

For context, 1969 releases available in surround:

July '69
  • The Soft Parade
  • In A Silent Way
August '69
  • Santana
September '69
  • Abbey Road
  • Stand Up
October '69
  • In The Court of the Crimson King

Of these, all currently available and reasonably priced except for the Tull, $200+??

Two Moody Blues albums from '69 also available in surround:

On the Threshold of a Dream (April)
To Our Children's Children's Children (November)

And not to mention that deaf, dumb and blind boy, Tommy. (May).

Yeah, but is Steelydave on the scent of Santana III? Someone to depend on?

I've got Google alerts set up so if (or when) it shows up, I'll be notified.

Other 1969 releases available in surround I can think of:

The Guess Who Wheatfield Soul and Canned Heat (D-V 2fer)
Paul Revere and The Raiders Hard 'N' Heavy (with marshmallow) (D-V 2 fer)
Blood Sweat & Tears (2nd album) (technically this was released right at the end of 1968, but it's effectively a 1969 album) (AF SACD)
Chicago Chicago Transit Authority (Quadio Box)
Bob Dylan Nashville Skyline (SQ LP/Q8, 1 track on AF The Collection SACD)

A lot of the RCA Q8's from the PQ8 series are from the late '60s, but most of the pop ones (Jose Feliciano, Elvis, Youngbloods, Friends of Distinction for example) haven't made the jump to multichannel digital thusfar.

Just to get an extreme case as some perspective in delivery times, over the last couple of weeks received 3 orders from Russia, one from Feb and 2 from April.

7 months is the longest anything has been MIA and still arrived.

Just to get an extreme case as some perspective in delivery times, over the last couple of weeks received 3 orders from Russia, one from Feb and 2 from April.

7 months is the longest anything has been MIA and still arrived.

Music from Russia...what are the chances they are bootlegs...if they came from Ebay...I'd say about a 99% chance..

Back