"Santana" SACD out in September from Sony Japan (!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you are right I have Abraxas on order with Cdjapan only someone on the site said order it off Amazon japan as it was a bit cheaper and they had very good service from them. As they say you learn by your mistakes so I will not do that again.
Never ordered from Amazon japan..What happened with that? ...Have ordered from CdJapan, say 4-5 years back. Good service but now with the limited shipping methods available to the USA, it's very expensive.
..& not to go down some rabbit trail but these frickin' taxes, regardless of where you are, they suck:mad:

while Brits are technically also due VAT duty and charges on every import over a certain value (think its about £15 quid now?) it is hit and miss with a number of packages arriving without a charge despite them being accurately declared by the shipper, however with CDJapan i've found it to be a fee hit every flummin' time! i'm used to it after all these years but still... it is what it is.. to be forewarned is to be forearmed, is to be four earred.. and all that jazz! 💪
Here in Norway the limit was $35 including postage,but this spring it changed to VAT from the first cent.I have nothing against paying VAT,but I hate the fees that in most cases are more than VAT. :mad:

Good News, I just received Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters from Importcds today. Very quick service, 6 days (..no Santana yet, on back order).
This is the 1st Japanese Sony 7" SACD quad release I'd ever gotten.
Great packaging, design & quality, etc. :)
Just like a LP but the size of a 45rpm record. Really clever, I'm impressed! One thing though, I do wish more of the text was in English so I could understand it:(

Last edited:
Just like a LP but the size of a 45rpm record. Really clever, I'm impressed!

I really like the little plastic disc that the sacd snaps into to put in the cover so it doesn't flop around. I always thought special editions of cd's should have been released with the real album cover and a 12" version of that to hold the cd in it.

Also, it's back in stock at importcds

K

My copy arrived today. Very unusual packaging/format. In a slim line case the size of a 45 rpm single. Comes with a b/w poster and booklet with lyrics in Japanese and English and a few other pieces in Japanese.

But the surround mix... Wow its a revelation, at times I feel like I'm at the centre of a Latin American party.

The rear speakers are used like front main speakers, plenty of discreteness across all the speakers for the instruments and damn high quality sound considering it's vintage.
I'll definitely be ordering Abraxas

Good News, I just received Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters from Importcds today. Very quick service, 6 days (..no Santana yet, on back order).
This is the 1st Japanese Sony 7" SACD quad release I'd ever gotten.
Great packaging, design & quality, etc. :)
Just like a LP but the size of a 45rpm record. Really clever, I'm impressed! One thing though, I do wish more of the text was in English so I could understand it:(

My copy arrived today. Very unusual packaging/format. In a slim line case the size of a 45 rpm single. Comes with a b/w poster and booklet with lyrics in Japanese and English and a few other pieces in Japanese.

But the surround mix... Wow its a revelation, at times I feel like I'm at the centre of a Latin American party.

The rear speakers are used like front main speakers, plenty of discreteness across all the speakers for the instruments and damn high quality sound considering it's vintage.
I'll definitely be ordering Abraxas
Slim line case......., I thought that they were all LP record type 7" cardboard covers?

I just finished a lengthy post and somehow it did not post and got lost. I’m typing on a iPhone and may have hit wrong key. So that is new tech for me.

Anyway what I said is that Sony Japan I’m sure reads the posts here. So we need to keep saying what we want next. Two more Santana studio albums in quad, two or three Edgar Winter, two of three Johnny Winter, and an Aerosmith if they can pull that off as well.

Keep posting that you want Santana III, and Caravanserai!!!!

I also think it is worth asking if Sony Japan might dip into the RCA catalogue that they also own?

Let’s start really pushing Sony Japan and their 7” series of previously quad-blocked but hot titles!

I hope many can take a few bucks from their stimulus checks and buy one of these expensive titles to support the cause. It is expensive.

Sony have the means to do what DV cannot do. Can we afford to support that line of product?

I just finished a lengthy post and somehow it did not post and got lost. I’m typing on a iPhone and may have hit wrong key. So that is new tech for me.

Anyway what I said is that Sony Japan I’m sure reads the posts here. So we need to keep saying what we want next. Two more Santana studio albums in quad, two or three Edgar Winter, two of three Johnny Winter, and an Aerosmith if they can pull that off as well.

Keep posting that you want Santana III, and Caravanserai!!!!

I also think it is worth asking if Sony Japan might dip into the RCA catalogue that they also own?

Let’s start really pushing Sony Japan and their 7” series of previously quad-blocked but hot titles!

I hope many can take a few bucks from their stimulus checks and buy one of these expensive titles to support the cause. It is expensive.

Sony have the means to do what DV cannot do. Can we afford to support that line of product?
You ask can we SUPPORT, of course we can especially if they release Aerosmith Wings, Toys & Rocks as well as Edgar Winters - TOCOAN!!! Santana III would be greatly appreciated!!!

You ask can we SUPPORT, of course we can especially if they release Aerosmith Wings, Toys & Rocks as well as Edgar Winters - TOCOAN!!! Santana III would be greatly appreciated!!!
But we need to support these two latest ones, that is what I meant. We all need to buy st least one of the two Santana titles now, unless you simply do not like the albums.

We need to support the series before they get to some of the others. And state what we want here in the forums, and state it again in threads like this one.

But we need to support these two latest ones, that is what I meant. We all need to buy st least one of the two Santana titles now, unless you simply do not like the albums.

We need to support the series before they get to some of the others. And state what we want here in the forums, and state it again in threads like this one.
I've purchased both of the Santana albums released during the second 1/2 of last year and would gladly purchase additional releases of Santana, Aerosmith and other artists releases in quad or multichannel on SACD.

I purchased both and was thrilled to have them in Quad, though I consider the prices to be extravagant and rarely spend that much for a single title. Expensive or no, I would buy the next two in a heartbeat, especially Caravanseri which is my Santana favorite and somewhere in my Top 50 list of the best records ever made. So, yeah, please release those suckers ASAP.

I'll gladly pop for any of these on 4.0 Japan 7" SACD's:
Santana III (perhaps his best)
Caravanserai
Love, Devotion w/McLaughlin
Welcome
Borboletta
Greatest
Amigos (hopefully a new surround remix)
Festival

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
🪨 rocks

Edgar Winter's White Trash (mixed & unreleased)
They Only Come
Shock Treatment
Group w/Derringer

Johnny Winter (1st Columbia s/t, mixed & unreleased)
Still Alive
Saints
John Dawson Winter III

All range from good to spectacular!

I bought them all on SQ and/or Q8 in the 70's. Toys & Jasmine Nightdreams I probably won't rebuy, since I rebought them on SACD & DTS CD.

Have heard both unreleased Quad mixes. Both great, although Johnny Winter's solo tracks like Dallas leave a bit to be desired in Quad. Larger group pieces make up for it, though. "Lots of Shit in Texas, you're bound to step in some." - Johnny Winter of Port Arthur, TX.

BTW: I've seen/heard Santana live more than any other music 🎶 act, except Chicago Symphony. We were season subscribers for several years.

Yes I’d like Rocks before Toys since the SACD 5.1 of Toys is quite nice.

Jasmine Nightdreams is simply not as compelling to me as TOCOAN nor Shock Treatment. And the DTS release if fine enough for now. It’s that last Edgar Winter Group album I could never listen to in full in one sitting. The recording / mix is botched imo.

Anyway, if DV are not going for these for whatever reason, it’s up to Sony Japan. I love the fact that they are able to just ignore the fact that a Sony title was already out on a reissue, or is currently being marketed by MFSL on SACD. They just pick the title and go for it. And they know we want QUAD on it. It was Audio Fidelity who wised them up to the quad potential.

Last edited:
Back