Quantcast

HiRez Poll Santana - SANTANA (Debut Album) [SACD - JAPAN]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD of Santana - SANTANA (Debut Album)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Amazing. I just love the discreteness, and how it all holds together at the same time. Brilliant = 10.
Yes...proving that a mix can be both discrete and immersive at the same time. Oh, and did I mention the dynamic range? LOL

sbrom

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
9 for me. Evil Ways is a BIG WOW.

Sound quality: 3/3 Excellent
Surround mix: 3/4. Very Good. (-1 for occasions where an instrument appears in a single channel with zero ambience. I prefer some ambient spill to other channels for realism. An example of the limitation is the opening piano in “Treat”. To my ears it sounds flat and unreal.
Musicality: 3/3 Excellent

Bring on Abraxas and III !!!

par4ken

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Santana put out some of the best quad in the seventies. This is one of my favourites. I don't understand some of the comments about Columbia quads being week on bass, this one has plenty of bass as does the SQ LP. The top end might be a little dull in a few places, but this is an older recording after all. I have to give it a ten.

Last edited:

ar surround

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The sound is a little bit dull for my taste. Would like more top & bottom end. Still very happy to have it in my player!
To my ears and on my system it sounds perfectly balanced. However, most DV quads sound a bit too hot to me (Do I hear boos and hisses?) and I prefer the mastering we got from AF. Given that we all have somewhat different hearing, tastes and speakers, it‘s tone controls and EQ to the rescue.

[Edit: I should have said “many” not “most” DV quads.]

Last edited:

shakti

I haven't voted yet, but it's definitelt very, very, very good.

I have only listened to the Quad mix, but there's nothing bass-shy about it. In fact, if there's one instrument that really shines in this multichannel mix, it's the bass! I never noticed what great bass lines David Brown was contributing to this album! He's very solid and the bottom was always there, but opening up the mix revealed a lot of melodic subtleties which were lost in the stereo mix.