HiRez Poll Santana - SANTANA (Debut Album) [SACD - JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Santana - SANTANA (Debut Album)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
9 for me. Evil Ways is a BIG WOW.

Sound quality: 3/3 Excellent
Surround mix: 3/4. Very Good. (-1 for occasions where an instrument appears in a single channel with zero ambience. I prefer some ambient spill to other channels for realism. An example of the limitation is the opening piano in “Treat”. To my ears it sounds flat and unreal.
Musicality: 3/3 Excellent

Bring on Abraxas and III !!!

Santana put out some of the best quad in the seventies. This is one of my favourites. I don't understand some of the comments about Columbia quads being week on bass, this one has plenty of bass as does the SQ LP. The top end might be a little dull in a few places, but this is an older recording after all. I have to give it a ten.

Last edited:
The sound is a little bit dull for my taste. Would like more top & bottom end. Still very happy to have it in my player!
To my ears and on my system it sounds perfectly balanced. However, most DV quads sound a bit too hot to me (Do I hear boos and hisses?) and I prefer the mastering we got from AF. Given that we all have somewhat different hearing, tastes and speakers, it‘s tone controls and EQ to the rescue.

[Edit: I should have said “many” not “most” DV quads.]

Last edited:
I haven't voted yet, but it's definitelt very, very, very good.

I have only listened to the Quad mix, but there's nothing bass-shy about it. In fact, if there's one instrument that really shines in this multichannel mix, it's the bass! I never noticed what great bass lines David Brown was contributing to this album! He's very solid and the bottom was always there, but opening up the mix revealed a lot of melodic subtleties which were lost in the stereo mix.

Just one word (will be repeated...):

FINALLY!

That's of course the definitive edition and one of the two conversion that can be trashed for extremely good.
Being a 1974 mix, it is better defined that Abraxas and the master tape on SACD really give a polish that he hadn't before.
The only problem with these Sony Jap releases is that are not only expensive but very limited quantities, so grab it while you can and before paying collector's price.

Once again, spot on mastering. Just exactly like you want. :)
A pristine copy of the master all the other troubled copies came from. Right out of the spring that feeds the river instead of downstream past the factories.

Just like I said for Abraxas. Listened to both back to back.

At this point I think it's fair to say Sony Japan has instant credibility for anything they release!
In an arena where you still get bait and switch, horrendous mistakes, and volume war fare, these folks are making mastering perfection matter of course.

Fantastic disc! What a shame this mix was on a shelve for so long. Great we are able to buy it now, although of course it's not ideal to have to import from Japan.

But most importantly, the music is great and the quad mix is very clear, dynamic and energetic. I'm happy! I voted 10.

I'll subtract 0.1 because the bass level is a bit too high

Rounds up to 10:love:, what a blast - these are 1969 tapes and they rock!
Evil Ways and Soul Sacrifice have such a visceral energy, no filler tracks in this debut album

In a sea of mediocre surround offerings, it shows how it's done.

I'll subtract 0.1 because the bass level is a bit too high

Rounds up to 10:love:, what a blast - these are 1969 tapes and they rock!
Evil Ways and Soul Sacrifice have such a visceral energy, no filler tracks in this debut album

In a sea of mediocre surround offerings, it shows how it's done.
Others say the bass is too low, I think it's just about right. That's what bass and treble controls are for but can be a pain to adjust on modern equipment. I like the old analog stuff, just twist a knob!

Dynamic Range:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Santana / Santana (Quad) Japan SACD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR13 -0.14 dB -16.69 dB 4:05 01-Waiting
DR13 -0.78 dB -16.24 dB 4:05 02-Evil Ways
DR11 -1.37 dB -16.60 dB 3:14 03-Shades of Time
DR11 -1.60 dB -16.02 dB 2:51 04-Savor
DR12 -0.22 dB -15.03 dB 4:18 05-Jingo
DR12 -0.96 dB -14.64 dB 2:37 06-Persuasion
DR12 -0.18 dB -17.31 dB 4:45 07-Treat
DR10 -2.36 dB -15.38 dB 4:37 08-You Just Don't Care
DR11 -1.06 dB -16.60 dB 6:37 09-Soul Sacrifice

Number of tracks: 9
Official DR value: DR12

Others say the bass is too low, I think it's just about right. That's what bass and treble controls are for but can be a pain to adjust on modern equipment. I like the old analog stuff, just twist a knob!

it sounds just right on my system too using Direct mode.

Really immersive mix on a record that started one of the greatests careers in the history of music.

10/10 IMHO

I have the gold master sound and the 2 disc GSM Legacy Edition. Is the SACD that much better? These 2 are dam good.

Back