HiRez Poll Santana - SUPERNATURAL [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Santana - SUPERNATURAL

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

When the members of SH talk about compression and recordings that sound "hot" Most times I think they over blow it. Now that can be because most have systems that kick my systems ass...but this is the one disc that I can agree with them. What a waste of time. It sounds like someone is putting a blanket over my speakers. I was very disapointed with this disc...Go and buy the DVD concert it sound a 1000 times better.

I dunno... I really like it! I think the SH folks were complaining about the stereo release, not the surround release (I could be wrong, though). Still, this disc could have been better, so I gave it an 8. The DVD concert is awesome, but that's an apples/oranges comparison.

I'm pretty glad with this disc, even if the MC-Mix ist not as good as others like Steely Dan e. g., I appreciate the bonus song and the videos.
10 from me.

And this disc should not be compared with the Live-DVD-V!!!

I gave it an 8 overall.

A few of the songs are absolute audiophile, surround sound reference quality with a great recording, a great mix, and wonderful warmth. (Those songs, which tended to be the more instrumental tracks, are along the lines of a 10.) The other songs with more of a pop-single angle are merely good in terms of recording, warmth, and mix (more like a 6 or 7).

I gave it a 7.

I was a little dissapointed. The sound mix did not want to wrap itself around you. It seemed as if it was straining. The LFE really lacked punch. I need to really play with my adjustments and move them way out of the norm to make this listenable. Once done, it is possible to enjoy. :eek:

Good music selection helps boost this to a seven.

I give this an 8. It's not the greatest DVD-A disc but it's far from the worst. This was a huge album in 1998 and it's chock full of great songs and Santana wailing away on his guitar. What else do you need? :sun

I have to ask - is this a real surround mix?
I was playing this earlier, and it sounds like it's been run through TC Unwrap.
It's not a patch on some of the earlier Quad stuff - Caravanserai comes immediately to mind......

This was a huge album in 1998 and it's chock full of great songs and Santana wailing away on his guitar. What else do you need? :sun

From my end, better songs...didn't think the material was any big deal, certainly not of the caliber of anything from their debut through BORBOLETTA. That said, Carlos can still play a mean axe, so worth it for that much.

As for the surround mix, not overly impressed, but that might be because the music didn't impress me much. A '6'....

ED :)

I owned the CD first and bought the surround mix as the demo for my wife when putting the new system in (she loves this album, so I was hoping for the big smile and thumbs up for my big stereo purchase). I can't truthfully say it sounds any better than the CD. Now, I'd lose it too, but she likes the music. Oh well. Certainly not a demo disc. I gave it a 2, get the CD.

Just picked this disk up at a local BB, sitting in the back of a rack covered in dust.

Auditioned it last night, not too impressed. Fooled with my set up to get it just right, but never was satisfied. Maybe I am getting lazy, but don't feel I should have to work that hard to get the sound right.

Anyway, solid 7 from me.

I'm a bit late for the party, but anyway. This is much better than I expected from the reviews and the rating. Musically it's what you'd expect from Santana - some great guitar work, some good songs, some not so good... Sound wise it's very ok in my oppinion; yes it is loud, but doesn't sound too compressed to my (old) ears. The surround mix is really discreet with a lot happening in the rears. 8 points from me.

One of the best works of Santana,:):) containing many hits, and with a sweet Latin mood. The mix is pretty fine, but it feels so wet. :( I like the music, but this isn't a disc I'd be playing frequently. A solid 6. :confused:

One of the best works of Santana,:):) containing many hits, and with a sweet Latin mood. The mix is pretty fine, but it feels so wet. :( I like the music, but this isn't a disc I'd be playing frequently. A solid 6. :confused:

What do you mean by "wet"? Never heard that expression in regard to a mix I guess.

Back