Santana's "Caravanserai" on Hybrid Multichannel SACD in 7" Mini-LP Packaging!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received an email yesterday telling me to expect Caravanserai and Abraxas on December 1, and about an hour later someone is at my door...

Attachments

• santana.jpg
    santana.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I received an email yesterday telling me to expect Caravanserai and Abraxas on December 1, and about an hour later someone is at my door...
SNAP ! I also got Caravanserai and Abraxas ! Arrived today. Just opened the ( perfectly undamaged ) outside packaging and DAMN they look gooood ! I've even un-mothballed my surround setup just for the playing occasion. Probably crack them open Friday at the latest estimate. Sooooo excited now !

Fedex made a little delivery 20 min ago! I'm in the middle of some cabling changes & reorganization plus long overdue, needed gear dusting.

But guess what is playing while I work ;)

So long but finally a digital version is reality and in my greedy hands. Out of giving up waiting for Caravanserai in 4.0 or 5.1 SACD, I bought the Mofi stereo SACD last year. I hadn't listened to it but now I don't need to!

Thank you, Sony Japan! Keep these great quad SACD's coming. You have a ready-made market with both old & newer surround music nuts like us. This is what Sony (US) should have done from the beginning of the format. It just might have been more of a success if they had - dig into that Columbia library of quads and made them a special release like all of these have been. Sony Japan has the right idea.

And thanks to CD Japan for their quick shipment.

Gosh, what a great album in quad.
Once I feast on Caravanserai, I'll move on to Carlos & Buddy but not before ;)

FWIW, the album cover & materials are superb too, up there with Bitch's Brew and Abraxis.

Last edited:
I have to hand it to DHL. My package was supposed to show up last night between 8 and 10 pm. The tracking page said this morning that it couldn't be delivered last night. So the DHL person shows up this afternoon driving a Penske rental truck. The DHL truck must have broken down, however the driver is obviously an avid Santana fan. ;)

R.I.P. Christine MacVie :cry:

Well I found a couple of other discs to get and just put in my order for this. So many of these quad SACDS are out of stock now. I added two of the Tomita ultimate editions I did not have so Im set now. Until next year with more Santana quad......

I'm going to break down and buy Toto IV even though I have the original Sony multichannel sacd. I'd like to support Sony Japan's program and maybe the pure quad mix will be a tad different. Just have to find something else to get along with Toto to make shipping worthwhile. Not in a hurry.

DHL dropped off my copy of Caravanserai. I am so impressed with CDJapan, especially their shipping. Everything I have ordered from them has arrived in a few days. I would have received this yesterday afternoon but the nearby DHL hub decided to hold it because it was supposed to be delivered on Dec. 1st. I noticed many received their copy yesterday which is awesome. It's like they have Santa handle their shipping.

Mine via DHL in the UK was on my doorstep when I got home today. No customs fees or VAT to pay which is surprising, but maybe the UK's trade deal with Japan allows that (our one with the EU does not).

Overall packing is excellent, first thing I've had delivered in what feels like years that has no damage whatsoever to it. To quote an email Oxford Dickie sent me: "stuff sent from Japan is packaged as if it has a raw egg in it".

Snow yesterday prevented delivery even though DHL was just a few short miles from my house. But rain washed away much of it early this morning, allowing them to drop off my package moments ago.

Been working my way through Petty’s Live at the Fillmore this afternoon, but I think I’ll take a break and listen to Santana after I grab something to eat.

I’ve never heard this album in full before a few weeks ago when I streamed it as a preview before getting the disc. So it’s a relatively new listening experience for me.

Hey guys, this has probably been answered somewhere in these 14 pages, but I hope you can give me a quick tip: what would be the best place to order this from if you live in Europe (specifically, Germany)? I was hoping it'd show up at JPC, but no dice so far. Any alternatives to cdjapan?

Hey guys, this has probably been answered somewhere in these 14 pages, but I hope you can give me a quick tip: what would be the best place to order this from if you live in Europe (specifically, Germany)? I was hoping it'd show up at JPC, but no dice so far. Any alternatives to cdjapan?
It's a matter of patience (and risk). Apart from cdjapan, normally all these SACDs are sold by Amz Japan. Advantage is that you save the customs handling fee, but you pay for the taxes anyway. Strangely, this time, the SACD has not been listed in Amz yet
If you don't mind waiting, JPC end up having it, but there's always some risk it's sold out before that happens. I've seen other titles listed in the local Amz sites (Spain, for example)

There are some copies showing up on eBay.

Back