Santana's "Caravanserai" on Hybrid Multichannel SACD in 7" Mini-LP Packaging!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are working well for me from Amazon:

50 Clear Plastic 45 RPM 7" inch Outer Sleeves for Vinyl Records Covers -​

3 Mil Thick - 7 1/2 X 7 5/8"​

https://a.co/d/cGFe9Ad

View attachment 86050
These are perfect. I received mine today and they fit these 7" Japan SACDs like a glove. The only one that was a really tight fit was Santana's Lotus. Thanks (y)

I got the error also:

Warning: Area 2 (MULCHTOC) TOC-1 did not match with Area 2 (MULCHTOC) TOC-2. Disc has some errors !! Using TOC-1...

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
At last! :51QQ

photo_2023-01-05.jpg
:SB:SB

It appears CDJapan decoded an SQ Matrix source. How does it compare to the vinyl? How is the separation in the rear channels?
I already have a DVD-A transfer from the vinyl. I don't want to spend my money on this unless it is an improvement.
Thanks in advance.

It appears CDJapan decoded an SQ Matrix source. How does it compare to the vinyl? How is the separation in the rear channels?
I already have a DVD-A transfer from the vinyl. I don't want to spend my money on this unless it is an improvement.
Thanks in advance.
How does it 'appear' that that is the case? I have a DTS version decoded from the SQ LP that I rarely listened to, but I haven't compared them.

Also, CDJapan is just a retailer. It's a Sony release.

How does it 'appear' that that is the case?
On the CDJapan website, under description, it has "Features the latest remastering from the original master of the Quadraphonic LP. [SA-CD 2ch/CD] Features the latest remastering from the SACD stereo hi-res master."
So, it's a decode of the SQ matrix and not from a 4-channel master.

On the CDJapan website, under description, it has "Features the latest remastering from the original master of the Quadraphonic LP. [SA-CD 2ch/CD] Features the latest remastering from the SACD stereo hi-res master."
I used this as an excuse to delve into the packaging to see if they state the source. If they do, it is written in the Japanese text because none of the English notes that I saw reveal the source.

No. The 'original master of the quadraphonic LP' means they started from the discrete 4 track analog master that was used to generate the SQ LP. Every legit SQ and QS LP originates from a discrete quad master tape. SQ and QS are basically less discrete 'lossy encodes' of that master. (Q8 tape and CD-4 are discrete.)

What confused me is that they have "SQ" on the album cover. With Rick Wakeman's THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII, they didn't have a 4-channel master, so they actually took it from an SQ vinyl.
For Santana III, CDJapan has under the description, "The SACD layer uses a DSD master converted from the original "Quadraphonic (4ch)" master. "
I ordered both. Thank you.

You should interpret that info as the original analogue master tapes utilized for the SQ Quadraphonic LPs. The pristine sonics, discrete separation and lack of any LP anomalies should clue you into THAT!

This is the REAL DEAL!

Back