Santana's "Caravanserai" on Hybrid Multichannel SACD in 7" Mini-LP Packaging!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Santana & John McLaughlin album Love Devotion Surrender was released in July of 1973, and then Santana's Welcome was released in November of that year, so I'd expect those two roughly around the same time in 2023 as they hit their 50th anniversaries, since Sony Japan has been pretty much on schedule with their releases the last few years.

If these are being done by Sony Japan, why are they limited editions? Surely Sony have as much access as they want to their archives, it's not like Dutton Vocalion or Rhino getting limited access.

Grrrr I guess the wait will be too long for the next Santana reissue to share shipping on and I do want this. Already bought the earlier Santanas and both Mile's Davis and Birds of Fire....
Maybe I should just fly there myself to pick it up with some fresh sushi to bring home.....

What are the chances of the next Santana release whichever one it is coming out in Jan or Feb?
Id rather wait and buy two for one shipping cost. Hard to wait though....
I would grab Jeff Beck "Wired" with rare quad layer as your additional SACD from Japan, unless you have that one already. That quad one has quad mix with no other issue on metal disc. And while its not the best sounding recording ever done, the playing and quadraphonic mix are both pretty fantabulas.

Last edited:
Thanks quicksrt.
I do have Wired. And Blow By Blow Japanese and AP versions.
I have Rough and Ready.
Perhaps the other Jeff Beck Japanese quad SACDs are worth picking up?
I now have two Birds of Fire also. I just don't want to duplicate everything I own. I have the old issue Toto sacd. I have the DV Santana live. I have no interest in buying the Japanese Lotus though it does have 20 extra minutes. I suppose it's worth a small wait to see if airfare shipping returns otherwise I'm buying Caravanserai like many others here.

That's a pretty quick conversion from being a "a very casual Santana fan" a few days ago. :p
I would have described myself the same way…but after listening to the sage advice of so many QQ’ers re: Santana III - which I never owned and now love - I ordered this one blindly, assuming the same scenario will repeat 👍🏼

Hang on, I've just noticed something that's rather weird.

With all the (deserved) love for these early Santana quad releases, I could only find one post from six years ago that mentioned their Santana IV: Live At The House of Blues release on Blu-ray with a 5.1 mix. So what gives?

This is a fantastic concert, getting the old band back together, and one look at the set list, shows they do a lot of their early stuff. Even this track that they wrote for their 2016 Santana IV album could easily have ended up on any of their early releases:

Last edited:
Ok Caravanserai and III ordered. I went for the cheaper shipping even though it is "suspended". I'll gamble that changes soon.

I think this will be a long drawn out gamble. Been there , done that. One good tidbit - you can change the Shipping method if the gamble is not paying off

What are you saying about a particular shipping method being suspended?? I mean, if it's a choice in the dropdown, I assumed it's a legit shipping method. No?

Back