Santana's "Caravanserai" on Hybrid Multichannel SACD in 7" Mini-LP Packaging!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't profess to be expert on these matters at all, far from it, so i look forward to that discussion.

before that however, maybe try the new SACD and see how you like it because the conversion you have may well sound amazing but to me this SACD sadly does not đź‘Ť

i will add that the Side 1 content seems to suffer more of the distortion/saturation type tape wear effects but really cymbals and percussion and so forth just generally sound overegged on the whole disc to me.
I have heard every release in this series and the mastering's all sound great! I probably wouldn't have posted anything if not for their excellent track record. How do you think the mastering on this compares to the Rhino Doobie Bros?

Did you upgrade to large rear speakers, did you start off with small rears and rely on bass management?
I've never used bass management, I bought full range large speakers from the start. My rears are Castle Clifton 3s and my front stereo pair are Castle Harlech floorstanders (two off quarter wave folded per speaker!). Yes these are all approaching 25 years old.

I have heard every release in this series and the mastering's all sound great! I probably wouldn't have posted anything if not for their excellent track record. How do you think the mastering on this compares to the Rhino Doobie Bros?
yes its a great series but i think you need to hear this one in order to see what i'm on about.

i decided not to voice what i considered to be somewhat unfortunate mastering choices at the time of the Doobies release and its probably best i don't do so now in this thread because it will just muddy the waters and probably trigger an OT debate about all that instead.

suffice to say, for me the mastering and source used on this Santana SACD have different issues from the deficiencies of the Doobies BDs.

DHL says my copy is arriving Thursday along with my two Tomitas. They do ship fast.
It seems more people here have ordered Caravanserai than the earlier Santanas.
Maybe it will go out of stock earlier.

I still have not found time to listen to this yet. Every time I try and sit down to listen it always seems that something comes up. Oh well, delayed gratification is good.
Ditto. But much of it is my own fault as I have too many interests. (Note: "Too many interests" is a euphemism for "I have a huge backlog of DV quads to listen to.")

I received it yesterday and had some time to listen to 'side 1'. I've never heard this quad mix before, and I'm loving it. It sure is Discrete!

Some others have posted here that were issues with ripping. I normally don't have any issues with using an Oppo BDP103 and a Macbook Pro, but this time Sonore ISO2DSD application choked after extracting 2 tracks to SONYDSF. I tried the normal stuff - rebooting, etc. I finally got it to rip by ripping to RAWISO and then using Sonore ISO2DSD to convert to .dsf .
For an unknown reason dbpoweramp failed to convert the .dsf to FLAC (I never had a problem before), but was able to create a .wav file.

Now that I have 3 of these 7" editions, are there any good replacement sleeves? I don't like the giant silver sticker covering the artwork. I didn't see anything on Sleeve City.

Now that I have 3 of these 7" editions, are there any good replacement sleeves? I don't like the giant silver sticker covering the artwork. I didn't see anything on Sleeve City.

These are working well for me from Amazon:

50 Clear Plastic 45 RPM 7" inch Outer Sleeves for Vinyl Records Covers -​

3 Mil Thick - 7 1/2 X 7 5/8"​

https://a.co/d/cGFe9Ad

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 7.13.11 AM.png

Upon revisiting this album I think I finally realized why, for all its greatness, I rate this one below Welcome. Something about the flow is really off with All the Love of the Universe as the final track on LP side 1. The first five songs are just perfectly paced and ending with the gorgeous Song of the Wind. I think the best decision would have been to axe All the Love of the Universe altogether. That would have made for a perfect 20 min side 1, and an equally perfect 24 min side 2. It's not really that the album is too long as it is, but it feels unbalanced with that song following Song of the Wind. Just my two cents.

Upon revisiting this album I think I finally realized why, for all its greatness, I rate this one below Welcome. Something about the flow is really off with All the Love of the Universe as the final track on LP side 1. The first five songs are just perfectly paced and ending with the gorgeous Song of the Wind. I think the best decision would have been to axe All the Love of the Universe altogether. That would have made for a perfect 20 min side 1, and an equally perfect 24 min side 2. It's not really that the album is too long as it is, but it feels unbalanced with that song following Song of the Wind. Just my two cents.
Welcome is certainly underrated! It took me way too long to appreciate it. Maybe a quality digital quadraphonic release will change that.

Back