Savoy Brown - Jack the Toad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I was digging through my pile of Q8's that I'd amassed over the last few eBay decades, and found this one I'd forgotten about. It's a signed Canadian version of Savoy Brown's 1973 release "Jack the Toad". The yellow Ampex version was a common tape found in the cut out bins of Woolco's, Zayre's, and other discount chains in the late '70s, early '80s, but the Canadian version was pretty hard to find in the US.

So I might see if I can revive these and see if there are any differences in the mixes. I do remember liking their version of "Coming Down Your Way" and the title tune, so this might be fun. At any rate, I thought you all might like to have a look at this Canadian Kim Simmonds autographed sleeve and tape, so here it is. Any thoughts on this title are welcome and looked forward to.

Interesting that the numbering prefix on the Canadian copy is "PEQ". Doesn't look like an Epic SQ LP to me...

Is the mix good?

half a day?? Dang.....only claim to fame I have (and it ain't much)....I shared a beer with the lead singer of Bullet Boys back in the 80's. lmao....
They played local Comm. College, after the show, I just walked in back and introduced myself, sat and the next day took them to the old job an FM station. Kim the bass and drummer went. Then they had to go to the next gig.

Here's the deal. The US Q8 has better audio levels than the Canadian version. The mixes appear to be the same.
I futzed with the tracks for a bit then got bored. It's a nice surround mix, not "Columbia" style, more like RCA style, and there are guitars swirling around at bit at times, but the fidelity on both of these tapes does not merit me spending a lot of time on them, especially when there are only a couple of tunes I like. The problem with doing conversions is that in doing a conversion, you end up listening to the material over and over and unless it's really, really good stuff, you get to the point where you just don't want to hear it anymore, or you just don't care.

Same thing with doing needle drops (from LPs) for my music server. I spend considerable time with the effort, and I have to stop and think every now and again, and I going to actually listen to this music program again?

Most of time it is in the positive, I will enjoy the music again.

But let's face it, this is not Hellbound Train nor is it Street Corner Talking, to say nothing of Raw Senna.

Back