HiRez Poll Scaggs, Boz - DIG [DVD-A]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-A of Boz Scaggs - DIG

  • 7:

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3:

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2:

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    60

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Moderator
Since 2002/2003
Joined
Mar 2, 2002
Messages
16,854
Location
Connecticut
Please post your thoughts and comments on this title - (y) :phones (n)


 

VACamper

Well-known Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
152
This is one of my favorite high-rez surround discs. The surround mix is by Elliott Scheiner, and it's a good one. The lead vocals, lead guitar, and drums are spread across the front speakers, and the surrounds are used judiciously for rhythm guitar, percussion, and some keyboards. The mix puts you in the middle of the music, with creative use of the surround channels, but not sacrificing a solid front sound stage. Sound quality is excellent to my ears.

I also love the music. I was not a fan of Boz Scaggs back in the '70s when "Silk Degrees" was his big album (a little to "pop-ish" for my tastes). Then I listened to "Come on Home" from 1997, and I was hooked on it's soulful R&B and blues mix. "Dig" is in a more modern, laid-back, R&B style, but I find it very creative and engaging.

Finally, the packaging is a plus. It comes with two separate discs: a DVD-Audio disc and an enhanced CD of the same music. It is packaged in a non-standard cloth-bound booklet format, with the lyrics printed on colorful paper and translucent dividers. All in all, a very nice release. Highly recommended. I gave it a 10.
 

Frantic

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
742
Location
Maryland
Ok Guy's!!

I gotta have this one.
I can not find it anywhere in my usual shopping venues :(
I would appreciate some help as I will purchase and then review.

Boz has always been on my look for list. And, DVD-A too :banana:

I can't wait.
 

VACamper

Well-known Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
152
I bought it brand new for $8.99 plus $2.50 shipping from Half.com, and it arrived in less than a week. They are still available at this price. If you want the assurance of a larger retail store, buy.com has it for $18 plus shipping.

Enjoy :)
 

bugdaddy

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
428
Location
San Diego, CA
VACamper said:
I bought it brand new for $8.99 plus $2.50 shipping from Half.com, and it arrived in less than a week. They are still available at this price. If you want the assurance of a larger retail store, buy.com has it for $18 plus shipping.

Enjoy :)
Thanks for the info!
 

Frantic

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
742
Location
Maryland
Question!

On Buy.com I only see a selection that states "Enhanced CD with bonus DVD"
Is this the one? It makes no mention of DVD-A.

It also is not described as a special package "cloth bound booklet"

Just trying to make sure I get the right one ;)

Thanks
 

kvsawilson

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
340
Location
Durango, CO
Frantic said:
Question!

On Buy.com I only see a selection that states "Enhanced CD with bonus DVD"
Is this the one? It makes no mention of DVD-A.

It also is not described as a special package "cloth bound booklet"

Just trying to make sure I get the right one ;)

Thanks
That sure sounds like the right one. I love this disc, but unfortunately it's the only disc that my 563 Pioneer won't play right since the firmware update. Have to listen in DD and even that doesn't work right in that you have to wait a minute or two before the music starts.

KW
 

Ick

Well-known Member
Since 2002/2003
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
108
kvsawilson said:
That sure sounds like the right one. I love this disc, but unfortunately it's the only disc that my 563 Pioneer won't play right since the firmware update. Have to listen in DD and even that doesn't work right in that you have to wait a minute or two before the music starts.

KW

I think all Pioneer players are doing that. I've tried the DVD-A in the 47-A and the 45-A, and neither of them recognized the DVD-A layer.

That kinda Sucks, but the 5.1 DD still sounds good and it is a very good album.

ICK
 

surroundophile

Surroundophile
Since 2002/2003
Joined
Aug 15, 2003
Messages
437
Location
Chicago
Ick said:
I think all Pioneer players are doing that. I've tried the DVD-A in the 47-A and the 45-A, and neither of them recognized the DVD-A layer.

That kinda Sucks, but the 5.1 DD still sounds good and it is a very good album.

ICK
This is the second time I've read about the Pioneers not playing this disc.

I also have both the 45A and the 47Ai, and both of mine DO play the DVD-A with no problem. Sounds like a disc problem to me.
 

bugdaddy

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
428
Location
San Diego, CA
surroundophile said:
This is the second time I've read about the Pioneers not playing this disc.

I also have both the 45A and the 47Ai, and both of mine DO play the DVD-A with no problem. Sounds like a disc problem to me.
i have the 563 with firmware update and this plays fine for me. really enjoying it, btw.
 

MIDIQ

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Joined
Nov 2, 2003
Messages
615
Location
US
I just got this disc. This is my first Boz Scaggs dsic, and i must say i was really surprised how much i liked it. The music is quite good, and the surround mix is great, I voted a 9. A great find.:)
 

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
2,109
Location
New Milford, CT
After reading about the DVD A mix of this on the forum, I finally went out and picked up a copy. My 563A has let me down for the first time. I have all the other supposed offending discs and they all play with no problem. My firmware is V.1.096 - I am assuming that is the latest update.

Anyway, after accessing the DD 5.1 mix (had to pull out the old manual to figure that out), I have to say that it is quite enjoyable nonetheless - I would give it an 8. Good production and songs except for that one "rap" thing he does - not good!
 

VACamper

Well-known Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
152
elmer said:
I have to say that it is quite enjoyable nonetheless - I would give it an 8. Good production and songs except for that one "rap" thing he does - not good!
That sounds like something I would say, but surprisingly, I like the "rap" song on this disc. I generally detest all rap music, but this song, "Get On The Natch", has a really cool, shuffling groove. Listen to it a few more times and see if it grows on you!
 

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
2,109
Location
New Milford, CT
Nope sorry - doesn't do it for me. I am not a rap fan either - but I recognize it as a legitimate art form. The band has a great groove - no doubt, but Boz ain't no 50 cent! But thats why they install a fast forward/skip/next button. It's all good - still like the album overall.
 

Quad Linda

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
8,739
Location
DROP YOUR WAD ON QUAD Chicago, Illinois
10. 10 for performance, 10 for the mix, 10 for fidelity. Payday and Call That Love are phenomenal tracks, and are worth the price of admission alone. Demoed many 5.1 systems with this. This wasn't around much even when it was new. Once again the Yogism applies; "If you don't have it, that's why you need it!"
 

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Joined
Oct 13, 2009
Messages
4,020
Location
NZ
Need to listen a few more times before I vote, but love the performance, sonics, and the Elliot mix (of course)!!!

Interesting to see the comments about this not playing on pioneers - like the Talking Heads DVD-As, interesting that the 16:9 discs seem to be the ones with problems.

This is the earliest widescreen DVD-A (2001) that I'm aware of... The next earliest I'm aware of is the Legion of Boom (2004) disc....
 

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Joined
Oct 13, 2009
Messages
4,020
Location
NZ
Now that I have this - this is one of my "go to" DVD-As. Just sublime... His vocals are just awesome, and when the guitar kicks in - wow.

What really surprises me is that its a CD/DVD-A combo, with widescreen presentation - issued in 2001! Way ahead of its time. The perfect package.
 

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Joined
Mar 2, 2003
Messages
9,519
Location
Redwood City, CA
Now that I have this - this is one of my "go to" DVD-As. Just sublime... His vocals are just awesome, and when the guitar kicks in - wow.

What really surprises me is that its a CD/DVD-A combo, with widescreen presentation - issued in 2001! Way ahead of its time. The perfect package.
The CD/DVD-A combo version is a tough one to find. Congrats !
 

ABMickey

Well-known Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2012
Messages
179
Location
Bavaria, Germany
I got hold of this finally..now for quite sensible Money :mad:@:

But worth to own it because of the Music and the fantastic mix.

Clear a 10.
 
Top