HiRez Poll Schifrin, Lalo - LETTERS FROM ARGENTINA [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Lalo Schifrin - LETTERS FROM ARGENTINA

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DualDisc release with a DVD-A side from Aleph Records by Lalo Schifrin "LETTERS FROM ARGENTINA". (n):phones(y)

lalo front.jpg
lalo back.jpg

thank you very much for creating this Poll, Jon.

I hope this will bring this fantastic (now 5 year old!) DVDA to the attention of more folks at QQ because its not one that ever gets mentioned, seemingly anywhere?!?

yet in every way this is exemplary and should be in everyone's surround collection!

simply put, the surround mix and fidelity are gorgeous (including some of the best recorded piano I can remember hearing in some time.) with a strong theme running through the album and top-notch musicianship.

It's a "9" from me and highly recommended.

I hope this will bring this fantastic (now 5 year old!) DVDA to the attention of more folks at QQ because its not one that ever gets mentioned, seemingly anywhere?!?

yet in every way this is exemplary and should be in everyone's surround collection!

simply put, the surround mix and fidelity are gorgeous (including some of the best recorded piano I can remember hearing in some time.) with a strong theme running through the album and top-notch musicianship.

Great find! Thanks for the heads up - just purchased it via Amazon US for $11.49 http://www.amazon.com/Lalo-Schifrin-Letters-Argentina-DualDisc/dp/B000F7CEAC

I ordered one too. For that price, I figured it was worth a shot! :)

Ordered also....

Excellent! :)

Maybe someone will take notice at the "surge" in sales!?

Maybe not.. but it's all more good surround music for us to enjoy, regardless.

It was included by Cai in his surround DualDiscs list on here and that's where I first learnt of it.

Then the schlep to find it.. took forever.. sellers here in the UK could never confirm it was the DualDisc that they were selling! Grr!

although I'm not sure there ever was a redbook CD of it after all?

HMV on Oxford Street told me earlier this year that they'd only ever had 1 copy in stock and that was nearly 5 years ago and that they couldn't back order it now as its listed as OOP!

Amazon UK finally got it back in stock the other week, so I leapt on it, even though it was still a blind buy as there are no reviews to be found anywhere online, to this day.

Lets just say I'm glad I took the plunge, it's a good'un. Looking forward to all your thoughts and votes on it.

The US$ to NZ$ exchange rate is good for me at the moment, so I use Amazon.com.

Have to agree with you listening to it now cracking under the radar disc. Loving the latin feel and discrete mix.
Piano to die for, musically well written and played.

I've always been a fan of Argentinian music and have much admired Al Di Meola's Astor Pizzaolla interpretations. I also dig Gotan Project (although I would term that tango-lite - but fun nonetheless). Lalo's best known work has been in movie and television scoring with the "Theme from Mission Impossible", of course, as his defining song. This disc is a lovely, Argentinian music album with elements of tango along with the occasional chamber jazz treatment. Beautifully recorded, mixed and performed by Lalo and a select group of talented performers from the Lincoln Center Chamber Group. Musically (IMO), it's good not great, but certainly a worthwhile addition to my collection - I can't quite give it a 9 but a solid 8 for sure. Recommended.

This is basically 5 instruments, with one coming out of each speaker = nice discrete mix. Only downside is that the piano is generally restricted to one speaker, rather than being spread across two as it would be on a stereo mix, so you don’t hear the width of the keyboard.
96/24 MLP = Great sound.

I gave this an 8. I try to score based on just the sound quality and the mix, because it’s too easy to get swayed by how much you like/ dislike the music otherwise.

Although I listened to a bit before I bought this, in the end I found I could not get on with it – it’s instrumental, jazzy. It’s nicely done, but not for me. Shame because it is a good disc if you like the music.

I wish all live recordings would sound like this (in MC) from now on! The only aspect of this album up to debate is the strength of the material and personal taste, otherwise it is just perfect. Solid 9.

By the way, there's another MC title mixed by Gustavo Borner, Sin Bandera - Mañana (Dolby@DualDisc), very well worth having if you like yourself some latin pop.

Its interesting to revisit one of these Polls several years down the line (thanks for the bump haikuBADASS.. ;) ...and the reminder to get the Sin Bandera DualDisc, another one that Cai mentioned all those years ago on here that I put on the shopping list.. and then totally forgot about! :D ) meantime this Lalo Schifrin DVD-A DualDisc is still out there to pick up for sensible money and I urge anyone here who likes well-recorded, well-mixed latin instrumental music to check it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.. well I hope not :eek:

Back