Scope outs vs line outs.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodaline

Hello, I have a Marantz 4000 (stock photo used off the internet) that has scope outs in 4 channel for one of those nifty 4 channel oscilloscopes. Since those scopes can, and often do, sit in tape out jacks, would I be right in thinking those 4 channel scope outs are identical to tape outs, i.e., both are line outs?

While I would like to get a scope, it would also be nice to know that I could hook an ADC capture device to these if I were to feel so motivated.

2030335-921002d2-rare-marantz-4000-quadradial-4-adaptor.jpg

In order to make the definitive determination for the answer to your question, the schematic diagram would allow finding the answer without having to look inside the maschine.

It seems pretty likely that you could do what you propose but you would want to figure out if the scope outputs were intended to use with only a Schmarantz particular model scope and might have some preprocessing or level shifting to go with same.

On the other hand it is unlikely to break anything if you just try it. Measure the output voltage first.

I should have thought of that, thank you. I have spliced the block diagram from a scanned manual together from two pages. I regret that it is not square.
I see here that the scope output is behind a resistor. I will read up on what scopes it was intended for. I believe this resistor discourages this action.

4000.jpg

The resistor may be there because Marantz scopes are/were very sensitive. I don't know what model they were intending it to be paired with. The resistor would also prevent a scope from loading down the next stage though all scopes I have ever seen have very high input impedance at least ten megohms.
But level matching makes the most sense.
So taking a look with a voltmeter or a calibrated oscilloscope makes sense. I wish things still had diagrams like that.

That output is after the built in matrix decoder (as well as the discrete input), you should be be able to use it as a tape out. The resistor helps to buffer that output. Without the schematic it's hard to say (from the block diagram) if that resistor is such a high value as to make that output unusable for other than its intended purpose. Most likely it will work fine, try it.

The resistor may be there because Marantz scopes are/were very sensitive. I don't know what model they were intending it to be paired with. The resistor would also prevent a scope from loading down the next stage though all scopes I have ever seen have very high input impedance at least ten megohms.
But level matching makes the most sense.
So taking a look with a voltmeter or a calibrated oscilloscope makes sense. I wish things still had diagrams like that.
The resistor may be there to protect the audio chain from anything an unknown scope does.

Small update. I purchased a Marantz 2130 tuner, and the scope of the FM output matches the front channel output piped back into its external jacks and function, with the exception being the magnitude. The external in has a knob to adjust, and the tuning would match it if it were wide open, I think.

Back