SDE’s Surround Series - Your Fantasy Wishlist

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My choice would be The Fat of the Land. I realize that probably makes me a Prodigy normie. 😅
To be honest I didn't really listen to anything after Experience...?...so...I'm probably not the best judge of which of their albums should get the 5.1 treatment?

Last edited:
I'mma second Frankie's Welcome to the Pleasuredome, and while we're at it I've love Liverpool as well.

And, of course, I'd love to see Propaganda's Secret Wish reissued.

Secret Wish and one of FGTH's "best of" were issued on SACD a long time ago, but they've been long out-of-print.

Tres Hombres in QUAD from anyone would be wonderful! The best discrete Quad mix I've heard.
I think it's more likely going to be U.K. releases...?...it's a U.K. company and (I think?) so far all of their releases have been U.K. bands. Shakespeare's Sister were U.K. based and believe it or not (and I'm finding it hard to get my head around) Ten Years After are a British band? :oops:

I'd love a 5.1 of Steve Hillage's Motivation Radio. Goofy, cheesy and weird (imo) but so good, and just fills me with joy 😊 😊 😊

But I think number one on my list would have to be Ozric Tentacles' Technicians of the Sacred; the best thing they've ever released (imo) by quite a margin and in much higher quality audio than their earlier stuff; definitely archetypal Ozrics, and just an amazing album in its own right; an amazing culmination to a long career; matured and evolved; I can't recommend it enough.

Not sure how it all works but I'd imagine that due to the nature of how the Ozrics do things, they should be very approachable...?...probably low hanging-fruit for a company like SDE, due to Ozrics being very independent...?...although they might be a little averse to it being a limited release and not freely available...?...but, I'd honestly be hard pressed to name an album that'd sound better as a multi-channel release than Technicians of the Sacred:

Another example: Butterfly Garden...

Last edited:
I think it's more likely going to be U.K. releases...?...it's a U.K. company and (I think?) so far all of their releases have been U.K. bands. Shakespeare's Sister were U.K. based and believe it or not (and I'm finding it hard to get my head around) Ten Years After are a British band? :oops:

I'd love a 5.1 of Steve Hillage's Motivation Radio. Goofy, cheesy and weird (imo) but so good, and just fills me with joy 😊 😊 😊

But I think number one on my list would have to be Ozric Tentacles' Technicians of the Sacred; the best thing they've ever released (imo) by quite a margin and in much higher quality audio than their earlier stuff; definitely archetypal Ozrics, and just an amazing album in its own right; an amazing culmination to a long career; matured and evolved; I can't recommend it enough.

Not sure how it all works but I'd imagine that due to the nature of how the Ozrics do things, they should be very approachable...?...probably low hanging-fruit for a company like SDE, due to Ozrics being very independent...?...although they might be a little averse to it being a limited release and not freely available...?...but, I'd honestly be hard pressed to name an album that'd sound better as a multi-channel release than Technicians of the Sacred:

Another example: Butterfly Garden...

there is an exception so far in Bob Dylan not being from the UK 🙂

think there's gonna be some surprises from SDE tbh 👀🤞

I'm hoping that we get more artists that are more known across regions. Should I have heard of Suede? I dunno, but I sure haven't. xPropaganda...nope. Never heard of them either. Did I order them both? Of course.

Also, Edgar Allan Poe's Brother....I mean...Shakespear's Sister...never heard of them...but bought it.

Given that Shakespears Sister actually released their 'Hormonally Yours' album (along with a couple of singles) over in the US of A, I reckon they're more likely to be known than Propaganda. However, this all happened 30+ years ago o_O

Given that Shakespears Sister actually released their 'Hormonally Yours' album (along with a couple of singles) over in the US of A, I reckon they're more likely to be known than Propaganda. However, this all happened 30+ years ago o_O
That explains a lot. It occurred before the internet. Pre-internet most of us had to rely on what we heard on the radio or read about in magazines.
It's amazing how many bands I may have heard of but never heard, that I have since been made aware of from websites like this and many others.

I'm hoping that we get more artists that are more known across regions. Should I have heard of Suede? I dunno, but I sure haven't. xPropaganda...nope. Never heard of them either. Did I order them both? Of course.

Also, Edgar Allan Poe's Brother....I mean...Shakespear's Sister...never heard of them...but bought it.
You know, I find it perplexing why so many fringe bands seem to be putting out multi-channel releases and making it economically worthwhile. I wonder why it's feasible for bands like VDGG, Hawkwind, Barclay James Harvest, Mr. Big, etc., to release multi-channel releases but more well known bands (ELO, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc.) can't seem to find a way.

Also, given the years when this stuff originally released (even if in the US), 32 years ago, I was starting a family. Music took the back burner and still...if it wasn't rock or classic rock...I wasn't going to give it a chance at all. Shakespear could have been played every 5 minutes on the radio...I still wouldn't have heard it because I wouldn't have been listening to those sort of stations.

You know, I find it perplexing why so many fringe bands seem to be putting out multi-channel releases and making it economically worthwhile. I wonder why it's feasible for bands like VDGG, Hawkwind, Barclay James Harvest, Mr. Big, etc., to release multi-channel releases but more well known bands (ELO, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc.) can't seem to find a way.
I suspect it's basically because they have no need to. For a lesser-known band, having a surround release might make a few more sales so it is worth their effort, but for a really successful band who are not intrinsically interested in surround, they think why bother. And smaller bands are also more motivated to agree on mixing decisions, release format, etc. whereas a band that doesn't need the money can spend years aguing about whether to include marbles or a scarf.

since the upcoming Suede SDE is in collaboration with Demon Music Group, a couple of artists on their roster include T-Rex and The Average White Band! i'd love to see SDE Blu-ray's of;

T-Rex "The Slider"
- Tony Visconti Atmos
- Tony Visconti 5.1
- Tony Visconti Stereo
- Original 1972 Stereo 96/24

Average White Band "AWB"
- Steven Wilson Atmos
- Steven Wilson 5.1
- Steven Wilson Stereo
- Original 1974 Stereo 96/24
- Gene Paul 4.0 Quadraphonic mix

Suede have been credited with kick-starting the whole "Brit-pop" phenomenon? If you believe the music press, they were the catalyst for that cycle. If you've heard any "brit-pop" then supposedly it's thanks to Suede...?...although I only read that recently. Having lived through it over here in the U.K. I would have thought them distinct from that whole movement.

Could be because smaller, independent labels are more flexible...?...whereas huge publishing behemoths are a lot slower and more cumbersome, if indeed they choose to move at all, when they probably don't really need to?

Also, I heard that the Led Zeppelin masters have deteriorated to the point where they're unusable...?...I'm not sure if that's true or if I'm just perpetuating a myth...?...but it might be that there would need to be a Peter Jackson, Let it Be, style restoration that the market might not currently be able to support for less "globally ubiquitous" bands?

But it's possible that developments in AI might one day provide an app that lets us restore, enhance and convert stuff into multichannel on a PC just by checking a few boxes...I think it's probably inevitable, just a question of when such an app will emerge.

If you're a "music's better on vinyl" and/or "the artist intended the music to sound just like it sounds on vinyl" type person (we'll overlook your graphic equaliser 😊 ) who eschews high definition Blu-ray audio and the like...?...then the above probably sounds like an atrocity to you, but personally, I can't wait for it to get here. 😁(y) (hoping I don't get chased off of Quadraphonicqad.com by vinyl purists with torches and pitchforks for being an audiophilial heretic) :rolleyes:☺️

To be able to convert music to how it would have sounded in the studio...?...regardless of the source's sound quality...?...for me...?...would be absolutely amazing.

...and if we can nerf Donovan's harmonica...?...so that I can listen to To Try For the Sun at a reasonable volume without risking bursting my eardrums...?...it would be a definite plus. (y)

But yeah...I digress. ☺️ ☺️ ☺️

I think it's probably financial, technical and bureaucratic restraints that are stopping the larger labels from releasing multichannel media; either that or they just don't need to (because they're already doing perfectly fine for their share-holders) and/or they just don't have the will to so?

...or it could be because they're worried it'll "break the charm" for the existing fans of the music and kill the cash-cow...?...don't try and fix what's not broken?

I can see that being the case with Zeppelin, specifically because that style of music tends to loose something when it's broken apart into discreet channels; it's not actually an improvement...?...blended into stereo it's more than the sum of its parts.

For instance, some Pixies tracks just seem kind of bland when you hear it all pulled apart; the 5.1 mix of Motorhead's stuff is very minimal, probably for that reason. "Wall of Sound" four-piece and "power-trio" stuff just doesn't seem to work that well in multichannel...prog is different, because of how multi-layered it is to begin with.

I recently heard the Quad release of Mountain's Nantucket Sleighride; an album I've wanted in surround for as long as I've known of 3D audio's existence, and I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed by it. For me, the one standout on the quad release of that album was Animal Trainer and the Toad; a song I'd always just skipped past and basically ignored in its stereo mix.

So yeah, I really think if we did get the early Zeppelin albums in 5.1, they'd probably be a bit disappointing, compared to what we might be expecting. 5.1 audio sounds like magic, but it's not, it's only as good as long as the music suits it, and sadly (largely) I don't think Zeppelin does? 😕🤷‍♂️

...as far as Zeppelin's concerned, based on my experience of similar types of music in 5.1...?...I think we've all been waiting for something we probably wouldn't really want if we got it. :confused:

Last edited:
Suede have been credited with kick-starting the whole "Brit-pop" phenomenon? If you believe the music press, they were the catalyst for that cycle. If you've heard any "brit-pop" then supposedly it's thanks to Suede...?...although I only read that recently. Having lived through it over here in the U.K. I would have thought them distinct from that whole movement.

Could be because smaller, independent labels are more flexible...?...whereas huge publishing behemoths are a lot slower and more cumbersome, if indeed they choose to move at all, when they probably don't really need to?

Also, I heard that the Led Zeppelin masters have deteriorated to the point where they're unusable...?...I'm not sure if that's true or if I'm just perpetuating a myth...?...but it might be that there would need to be a Peter Jackson, Let it Be, style restoration that the market might not currently be able to support for less "globally ubiquitous" bands?

But it's possible that developments in AI might one day provide an app that lets us restore, enhance and convert stuff into multichannel on a PC just by checking a few boxes...I think it's probably inevitable, just a question of when such an app will emerge.

If you're a "music's better on vinyl" and/or "the artist intended the music to sound just like it sounds on vinyl" type person (we'll overlook your graphic equaliser 😊 ) who eschews high definition Blu-ray audio and the like...?...then the above probably sounds like an atrocity to you, but personally, I can't wait for it to get here. 😁(y) (hoping I don't get chased off of Quadraphonicqad.com by vinyl purists with torches and pitchforks for being an audiophilial heretic) :rolleyes:☺️

To be able to convert music to how it would have sounded in the studio...?...regardless of the source's sound quality...?...for me...?...would be absolutely amazing.

...and if we can nerf Donovan's harmonica...?...so that I can listen to To Try For the Sun at a reasonable volume without risking bursting my eardrums...?...it would be a definite plus. (y)

But yeah...I digress. ☺️ ☺️ ☺️

I think it's probably financial, technical and bureaucratic restraints that are stopping the larger labels from releasing multichannel media; either that or they just don't need to (because they're already doing perfectly fine for their share-holders) and/or they just don't have the will to so?

...or it could be because they're worried it'll "break the charm" for the existing fans of the music and kill the cash-cow...?...don't try and fix what's not broken?

I can see that being the case with Zeppelin, specifically because that style of music tends to loose something when it's broken apart into discreet channels; it's not actually an improvement...?...blended into stereo it's more than the sum of its parts.

For instance, some Pixies tracks just seem kind of bland when you hear it all pulled apart; the 5.1 mix of Motorhead's stuff is very minimal, probably for that reason. "Wall of Sound" four-piece and "power-trio" stuff just doesn't seem to work that well in multichannel...prog is different, because of how multi-layered it is to begin with.

I recently heard the Quad release of Mountain's Nantucket Sleighride; an album I've wanted in surround for as long as I've known of 3D audio's existence, and I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed by it. For me, the one standout on the quad release of that album was Animal Trainer and the Toad; a song I'd always just skipped past and basically ignored in it's stereo mix.

So yeah, I really think if we did get the early Zeppelin albums in 5.1, they'd probably be a bit disappointing, compared to what we might be expecting. 5.1 audio sounds like magic, but it's not, it's only as good as long as the music suits it, and sadly (largely) I don't think Zeppelin does? 😕🤷‍♂️

...as far as Zeppelin's concerned, based on my experience of similar types of music in 5.1...?...I think we've all been waiting for something we probably wouldn't really want if we got it. :confused:
All excellent points but I’d still like to hear a Zep album in surround and judge for myself 🙂

With all the upmix tools like Penteo, etc etc and AI stem separation tools anyone can get a reasonable facsimile, if not a true discrete mix i.e. from the masters, mix of Zeppelin these days.

Just for a thrill, play Led Zep II backwards. Everyone (well a lot of us) became masters at splicing 8 track tapes back in the day. Once during a Purple Haze or maybe some Sunshine someone spliced Led Zep II but wound it backwards. lol. It was interesting for a minute or so....

I'm pretty much over Zep, the live albums had nothing much to offer and what ever their reasons are for not releasing good discrete mixes, they are pretty much past their due date for me. Not that I'm down on Plant/Page et. al because I'm not.

Back