Steven Wilson SDE Interview with Steven Wilson - interesting views on deluxe box sets.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the supply and demand law stupidity. Some people want something like a big box set, we'll give them what they want.

Based on the albeit incomplete evidence of the singles released from the album recordings which have sired this, I can't help but conclude that the concept has run away with itself. It's okay to take the piss, be "clever", have your cake and eat it, make it a stabbing commentary about overpriced boxsets, or to make some satirical point, but the material has to be strong enough to support the biting, acerbic wit which motivated its creation. Yet they don't. They only work if releasing some hackneyed and dull tracks as singles is all part of the overall concept. In which case, I'll apologise, and concede the point as "job done".

Last edited:
Based on the albeit incomplete evidence of the singles released from the album recordings which have sired this, I can't help but conclude that the concept has run away with itself. It's okay to take the piss, be "clever", have your cake and eat it, make it a stabbing commentary about overpriced boxsets, or to make some satirical point, but the material has to be strong enough to support the biting, acerbic wit which motivated its creation. Yet they don't. They only work if releasing some hackneyed and dull tracks as singles is all part of the overall concept. In which case, I'll apologise, and concede the point as "job done".
Agreed with you
Unfortunately from what I have heard so far the music doesn't hold up well in my opinion. I have virtually everything Steven Wilson has produced except for the last few albums

Sounds like a repeat of Wu-Tang clan thing in 2015.

If Steven wanted to be simultaneously cynical and forward looking, he could sell the album via a blockchain as one non-fungible token.

Box set madness is ridiculous. I know I’m in the minority of those who have them strictly for the Surround sound. I might listen to the outtakes and the cuts that led up to the final version - once. Marbles, bandanas, lanyards, all sit in the box untouched. Sorry but unless I went to the concert I really don’t need a lanyard from the 2015 concert at Glastonbury or wherever. If music companies want to make money, I’d prefer they make it from giving us the surround versions of music and don’t bother with the chachkas.

Back