HiRez Poll Seal - BEST 1991-2004 [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Seal - BEST 1991-2004

• Total voters
QQ friends: I have a question about this disc. The file sizes of the songs on this collection are considerably smaller than their corresponding songs on Seal, Seal II, and Seal IV, despite the facts that:
1. Both were ripped with DVD Audio Extractor
2. Both are the same length, usually within 2 seconds
3. Both are 6 channel 88.2/24

Examples:
"Kiss From A Rose" is 240.26 MB on Seal II, but 171.71 MB on this collection.
"Crazy" is 329.55 MB on Seal, but 223.59 MB on this collection.
"Love's Divine" is 157.75 MB on Seal IV, but 144.20 MB on this collection.

My apologies if this has been discussed before; it's not easy to search for "Seal" on this forum without getting a lot of results that have nothing to do with the artist.

Does anyone have any idea how this is possible? I don't believe it's possible to change the flac level with DVD Audio Extractor, but I suppose it's possible that DVDAE on its own uses a different flac level if the disc has more or less content.

Any ideas?
Never knew that before, just checked the respective file sizes and yep as you say.
Needs further investigation me thinks. :unsure:

Just wanted to note, I'm really suprised by how good the mixes are on the acoustic tracks of this dvd-a. I expected them to just be lazy "fake surround" ambient mixes with everything up front and ambients in the back (for most of the tracks at least), but the mix is dare I say better on the acoustic tracks. And the acoustic renditions are fantastic, especially the track crazy. Really underrated part of this compilation. As for the normal track mixes, they're pretty good, not as descrete as I may have wished, but yea.

QQ friends: I have a question about this disc. The file sizes of the songs on this collection are considerably smaller than their corresponding songs on Seal, Seal II, and Seal IV, despite the facts that:
1. Both were ripped with DVD Audio Extractor
2. Both are the same length, usually within 2 seconds
3. Both are 6 channel 88.2/24

Examples:
"Kiss From A Rose" is 240.26 MB on Seal II, but 171.71 MB on this collection.
"Crazy" is 329.55 MB on Seal, but 223.59 MB on this collection.
"Love's Divine" is 157.75 MB on Seal IV, but 144.20 MB on this collection.

My apologies if this has been discussed before; it's not easy to search for "Seal" on this forum without getting a lot of results that have nothing to do with the artist.

Does anyone have any idea how this is possible? I don't believe it's possible to change the flac level with DVD Audio Extractor, but I suppose it's possible that DVDAE on its own uses a different flac level if the disc has more or less content.

Any ideas?
My search for something else entirely lead me to this post LOL!
Have you tried looking at the frequencies of the respective files with an analyzer like spek?
I know some hi-res songs actually have a cap on frequencies because mastering/authoring screwed it up or it's upsampled.

Revisited this 3 disc edition after keeping it on the shelves for a long while... And wow.. The regular 5.1 songs are great in their own merit but for me... the acoustic versions are the go to versions...fidelity and surround represenatations are great...a 10.
I agree with you. This is one of those rare packages where the bonus material trumps the main album.

Back