HiRez Poll Seal - BEST 1991-2004 [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Seal - BEST 1991-2004

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

NOTE: This disc is (was) available as a straight DVD-A or a "triple pack" with 2 CDs and a DVD-Audio (both pictured below)

Attachments

• Seal Hits Standard.jpg
    Seal Hits Standard.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 491
  • seal hits dual.jpg
    seal hits dual.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 480
This disc shows DVD-A at it's best. If you like Seal, this is the best way to hear him. Lots of bonus material as well.

I have listened to the 5.1 remixes of Seals BEST and loved them. I wish they were just a bit more aggressive but none the less excellent.

This man can sing and the production is all top shelf.

A full "Best Of" Album in hi-rez.

A full Acoustic Album in Hi-rez.

Eight videos in (I was amazed that it wasn't bumped to DD) in hi-rez. OK, multi-channel

The best of the bunch is the acoustic set, very clear and very, very entertaining.

I loved it !!!!

Alert! This disc would not play on my early edition Pioneer DV563A, I pulled a switch with the 578A and it played without a hiccup.

Very, very good. I can't rate it among the "best of the best" but it ranks right up there, with an incredible collection of tunes and spectacular production. 8 points, no bout a doubt it.

I could have done with just a bit more stuff in the rears on some songs. Prayer For The Dying could have been a surround showcase.....but it's a bit reserved. Others sound really nice though. 7

My wife and I always liked the music by Seal. This mix on DVD-A really opens the songs up. Once again, we have another demo to show the non-believers!

The music is great and the content must be one of the biggest on any DVD-A. I wish there would be more discs like this...

HiRez4Me said:
The music is great and the content must be one of the biggest on any DVD-A. I wish there would be more discs like this...

Sorry to sound so pedestrian, but I'm not that familiar with his work; however, I know years ago a DVD-A was released, some type of greatest hits, and last year another greatest hits was released. Which one are you folks praising? Thanks.

Although I think his music got kinda schmaltzy in the middle (Seal 2/Human Being) you can't debate the production, the voice and the tremendous value in this package. 8
/\/\

terry said:
Sorry to sound so pedestrian, but I'm not that familiar with his work; however, I know years ago a DVD-A was released, some type of greatest hits, and last year another greatest hits was released. Which one are you folks praising? Thanks.
As the title of the thread suggests, this refers to the BEST album from 2004, released as DVD-A in 2005. You must be referring to Seal IV which is also released as DVD-A in 2004. The best tracks of this album can also be found on the Best of album.

This is one disc that I love to demo to non-believers or people who don't know anything abut surround music. The mix is done so well and the songs are just so damn great! This guy has a killer singing voice. The acoustic tracks are really where this disc shines though. A hearty 10/10.

Just bought this one after dithering about it for months, and I can only say that I am surprised I left it so long!
Stunning.
A genuine 10 here - the content is simply great VFM:
27 tracks split across 2 albums - full band & new Acoustic mixes, then if that was not enough, they throw in 11 Videos as well!!

If you are a fan already, then you know what you are in for - if you are NOT already a fan, then buy this anyway & become one.

Awesome.

This is a very good disc and he is one artist that has so much music I love and so much I can't take so this compilation was the perfect acquisition for me as most everything I like by him is included here. A 9 for both surround mix and content.

Chris

I just picked this one up and I'm pretty darned impressed. The sound quality is top notch and I think the mixes are perfectly suited to the material. I am not a real Seal fan so even on this "Best" package there are some misses for me. Still, this disc is demo material to say nothing of the value one gets here as noted above. For sound quality this is a 10 (although I agree a tad more could have been done with the surrounds) with the music itself a 8 (do we really need a remake of Sugar Kisses?) with a 9 overall. Well done! Unlike many quality efforts, this one still seems to be readily available and not yet inflated in cost.

One of the best "bangs for the buck" out there. The acoustic material really shines. A 9 from me.

This is what hi-rez surround is all about - BIG SOUND. And the sound quality is superb. Whether or not you like the songs will determine how much you enjoy the disc, obviously, but I think all of us who love multi-channel audio will appreciate the mix and quality of the sound. I wasn't a Seal fan when I bought it, but have now bought his other three DVD-As as well. My vote was a ten.

Finally got this after a long wait. I refused to pay more than $30.00 for it and finally got it for $29.99 off ebay. It is a solid 9+ for sound, and an 8 for music. The surround however could be a little more discrete. I was still leaning toward a 9, but the butchery of my favorite Echo and the Bunnymen song was the deciding factor. An 8.

I actually like his take on "Lips like Sugar" but think he could have done better with both "Walk on by" and "Fly like an Eagle". Overall I prefer the sonics and 5.1-mix on the acoustic album rather than the original hits album. Soundwise the acoustic album is very close to a 10 in my book.

//Uffe

Back