Quad LP/Tape Poll Seals & Crofts: Summer Breeze [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate 'Summer Breeze"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Their breakout album from 1972. Warner Bros. BS4 2629.

Side 1:

1. Hummingbird
2. Funny Little Man
3. Say
4. Summer Breeze
5. East Of Ginger Trees

Side 2:

1. Fiddle In The Sky
2. The Boy Down The Road
3. The Euphrates
4. Advance Guards
5. Yellow Dirt

Attachments

• Seals & Crofts Summer Breeze.jpg
    Seals & Crofts Summer Breeze.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 497
Fairly discrete mix, not as aggressive as I would have liked.

As is so often the case with quad, the title track lacks the punch and presence of the original stereo -- and labors under unnecessary added reverb.

Favorite quad track: "East of Ginger Trees", a trippy Eastern-spiritual Ravi Shankar kind of thing.

To state the obvious, best to hear the QR.

Music a 9, Quad mix a 7. I like the music quite a lot, but the Quad mix is just so blah. I could have used a lot more agressive Quad mix on this Q4. It could have been so good. Enjoyable though.:)

An '8'...strong mix for the music, but the songs vary in quality...a few very good, some just about embarrassing....

ED
12041606-Ti.gif

Hummingbird just opens up in quad...I have the quadradisc.

I heard this recently on XM, and in stereo it sounded squashed. But I agree, title song is unimpressive. So again, an 8.

"Hummingbird" is a gem, far better than the overplayed, overrated title track...indeed, its flip, "East Of Ginger Trees" is another fine one. And the duo's harmonies shine very nicely in Quad, I must say, and overall, the mixes are exceptional. Think I'll leave it there rather than trash the worst songs, which, IMO, come near the end....

ED :)

This was the start of some really good albums from this duo.They got better with each subsequent release (.i.e. their next three lps..."Diamond Girl", "Unborn Child" and "I'll Play for you" are fantastic but then after that their releases didn't seem to be as exciting)....This lp is pretty good except for maybe the last 3 tracks....my favourite track on this one is "Say"....the title track is not as well recorded as the others in both stereo or quad...sounds like it was recorded some time before the rest of the lp was made and on a lower budget, but it fits in ok when in stereo but when in quad the title track has too much added reverb...

Last edited:
eyg2181, don't worry about "Summer Breeze." It's just fine.

I have always liked this song since first hearing it driving my 1959 Chevy to work in another town in 1972.

I don't think there is excessive reverb and putting some of the backing tracks in the back channels is cool.

Of course, the tracks mentioned in other posts are wonderful too.

Doug

Back