Quad LP/Tape Poll Seals & Crofts: Unborn Child [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Unborn Child"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Crap Sound, Crap Mix, Crap Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Warner Bros. WS4 2761, from 1974.

Side 1:

1. Prelude/Windflowers
2. Desert People
3. Unborn Child
4. The Story Of Her Love
5. Dance By The Light Of The Moon

Side 2:

1. Rachel
2. King Of Nothing
3. 29 Years From Texas
4. Ledges
5. Follow Me
6. Big Mac

ED :)

The stereo lp is a great recording to demo your hifi with... sadly the quad mix isn't...the quad bass seems to out of phase because something cancels out the bass guitar, most noticeably on "windflowers"...
I have tried the q8 the q4 and cd-4 and they all have the same weak bass cancellation problem...

the bass on the stereo lp is awesome...

Mix is pleasant, if you don't mind the usual missing instruments and general limpness compared to the stereo. The guitar break on Dance by the Light of the Moon is pure torture. (Okay in stereo version.)

As for the content . . . well, as they say, if you want to send a message, try Western Union. Following up four top 20 singles with an anti-abortion ballad probably wasn't a big draw with teen record buyers.

The fact is that it was a dull album without much distinction, and that's reflected in the mix. I gave it a '5.'

It was also a bit insane to release the title track as a single, however well meaning it was. No way in hell AM radio was going to do much with it, except try to forget it. "King Of Nothing" didn't fare any better, though, so weak material sank the singles and album. They'd return to the Top 40 with their next single and album, but whatever 'magic' S&C possessed pretty much left them by this time.

ED :)

I agree with Christopher, something's not quite right with the mix.

I guess I don't think the bass is quite as weak as the other guys but it is a bit weaker than the stereo version.

This is probably due to the paranoia among CD-4 engineers that strong bass would ruin the ability of CD-4 cartridges to track.

Of course, it proves not to be true as there are some releases with strong bass ("Sundown" and "Court and Spark", for instance) and it doesn't affect CD-4 tracking. It also makes the CD-4 version sound a lot more like the stereo version as far as sonics.

Other than that, I like the material and rest of the mix.

Doug

Back