Searching for information on Japanese CD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybird100

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Does anyone have any kind of a master listing of those CD-4 albums released in Japan? I have an album with the number CD4B-5078, released on the Victor label as a Japanese domestic release, that I would like to get some info on. It's a nice album with both instrumental and vocal group tracks, easy listening with a bit of a jazz flavor. It's become a favorite of mine, but everything on the cover is in Japanese. Anyone have some data?

Hi, I have that album, and every JVC CD-4 release except for 6 titles. The translation for CD4B-5078 is: Singers Three Times Five & Victor Orchestra/Fascinating Sounds-One Rainy Night In Tokyo. I do have a master list of every CD-4 released in Japan (and elsewhere, there were other CD-4's not from the USA, such as European, Korean, etc.). One of these days I'll get to entering it all into an Excel file that I could share. Until then, if you want to know about a release, feel free to ask me. Nick

Hi, I have that album, and every JVC CD-4 release except for 6 titles. The translation for CD4B-5078 is: Singers Three Times Five & Victor Orchestra/Fascinating Sounds-One Rainy Night In Tokyo. I do have a master list of every CD-4 released in Japan (and elsewhere, there were other CD-4's not from the USA, such as European, Korean, etc.). One of these days I'll get to entering it all into an Excel file that I could share. Until then, if you want to know about a release, feel free to ask me. Nick

Nick,

If you get the list in a file, I'd be happy to create a web page here at QQ to host it if you like.

Nick: It would be great to get that list posted...I still have a mimeographed sheet you gave me in 1996 that included the Swedish quad releases. The problem with copier technology back then is that the inks fade...I can't read the thing now! Perhaps you recall me, you gave me a couple of quad demos in your basement. :smokin John

Thank you. It's a very good album, even if the only song I can understand the words on is the last one (sung in English). I transferred it to a CD using an SQ encoder, and it sounds very good. There's also a Polydor CD-4 album I have of some more traditional sounding Japanese melodies. Might you have info on this, too? The album number is GR2004.

Does anyone have any kind of a master listing of those CD-4 albums released in Japan?
:(
I would welcome such a list also.
I just purchased CD-4 off Ebay that after reading the above posts I probably wouldn't buy now. It is on red vinyl, Kuopin label and said to be from Japan, The Best of Fausto Papetti. Its probably a Taiwan pressing so now I won't expect much sound wise.

Thank you. It's a very good album, even if the only song I can understand the words on is the last one (sung in English). I transferred it to a CD using an SQ encoder, and it sounds very good. There's also a Polydor CD-4 album I have of some more traditional sounding Japanese melodies. Might you have info on this, too? The album number is GR2004.

Why would one use an sq decoder on a cd-4 lp?

Hi, I'll answer two questions at once. Polydor GR-2004 is: Harumi Ito/Japanese Oldies - Kage Wo Shitaite. Since you mention Polydor CD-4's, I need 1 more to have them all. Might you have GR-2006 Yoichi Sugawara-Live? If so, I'd offer a generous trade for it to finish my Polydor set.
Next, about the Fausto Papetti CD-4 on red vinyl. I have that one too, plus others from that label, also on red vinyl. Apparantly Kuopin had a deal to release Japanese CD-4's in their market. Some others they did are from the Philips Japan CD-4 release list. They actually aren't too bad, not like some of the Taiwan/Singapore/Hong Kong CD-4's I've tried. Those actually had so little carrier that the CD4-50 couldn't stay locked, they just shattered and sputtered totally. The red vinyl ones on Kuopin sound rather like a worn USA pressing, with some noise, etc, but playable and definately CD-4. On another label, I can't recall right now from work, it boldly said CD-4 on the jackets and OBI's, but the LPs actually are stereo (or mono), no carrier at all! I'll post the name of that label later from home, started with a J as I recall. I tried about 20 of them, all had no carrier but were sold as CD-4's. Avoid those obviously. Anyway, to finish on the Fausto red vinyl, it's JVC original Japanese release number is CD4W-7099 for the genuine quality pressing of that LP.

Here is a scan of a different Kuopin red vinyl CD-4. The inscriptions in the runout area of all their releases match the ones on the original Japanese pressings, so they used the same CD-4 masters. Perhaps sold to them at a discount after the suggested 500 pressings were made from each stamper in Japan.

I remember, when I was stationed on Okinawa in the early 70's, those Taiwanese records that people were buying for about 35 cents each, and transferring them to tape on the first playing because the vinyl wore out so quickly. I never bought any of them, preferring to stick with the superior Japanese pressings.

Nick, do you have translations for the track titles, too?

Back