Ned Lagin/Phil Lesh Seastones CD! SQ or QS?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllAroundSurround

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Ned Lagin/Phil Lesh - Seastones (SQ)
I did a conversion of this from QS for Brian- { Eric 2000} and he Said it was QS ? Is it in both !
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that was SQ only!!??
It says right on the label - SQ

:-jon

That's my fault, then. I could of sworn that the liner notes for the CD said that it was mastered from the QS encoded tapes.
Brian

Right now I'm looking at both the CD and L.P. versions of Seastones. The L.P. version says that it's "SQ Quad". However, the liner notes for the CD state: "Mastering (1975): Artisan Sound Recorders, Hollywood, CA (QS Quad)". There seems to be some sort of discrepancy. Since I don't have a good QS decoder yet, I can't compare how well it decodes in QS versus SQ. Anybody else?

Well that's just dandy... now which one is the typo? I've listened to the LP through the Tate and it decodes very well, but that doesn't mean it isn't a QS release. The "music" is pretty out there... it would be pretty hard to determine if it is QS or SQ just from listening to it.

However, I don't think I've ever seen a QS release that didn't have the Sansui QS logo, unless it was called something else (RM, Command, Compatible, whatever) so I am inclined to believe the original issue is correct (SQ) and that the reissue is just a typo (QS).

But then, I'm just guessing...

I've got the CD that Rob decoded for me, if you want to compare it I'll be glad to send you a copy.
Brian

ericc2000 said:
I've got the CD that Rob decoded for me, if you want to compare it I'll be glad to send you a copy.
Brian

Hmmm, thought I would revive this old thread. I just procured a copy of the CD reissue of Seastones and now I'm even more confused. The credits in the CD booklet mention the mix-down studios for both 1975 and 1990. That would lead me to believe that perhaps the CD version is an entirely new edit of the multi-tracks and therefore is not SQ or QS encoded like the original LP. That might be a cut-and-dry assumption except for the fact that there are two different versions of Seastones on the CD (the original and a "part 2" that was never released). So, perhaps "part 1" is the original matrixed stereo master and "part 2" is the 1990 mix-down... or perhaps both parts are 1990 mix-downs. I'd sure like to find out for sure!

I wonder why they would have remixed it in 1990 except to get rid of the SQ encoding?

Anyway, you freaked me out. I though AllAroundSurround had returned!

JonUrban said:
I wonder why they would have remixed it in 1990 except to get rid of the SQ encoding?

Well, perhaps Ned didn't care for the original mix and decided to try his hand at a new one. I suppose I could do a careful compare against the LP to find out if this is the case, but I'm too lazy. In any event, two questions remain:

1. Was the original SQ or QS encoded?
2. Was the "part 1" portion of the CD mastered from the original matrixed stereo master tape?

Back