• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Select Your "Must Have" Audio Fidelity Surround SACDs

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

POLL: Select the Audio Fidelity SACDs that you think are the "Must Haves" of the collection

• Total voters

Beefalo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
My picks were all in the middle of the pack.
Really surprised to see Grover Washington so low

30 - BILLY COBHAM - SPECTRUM
27 - LOGGINS & MESSINA - LOGGINS & MESS.
22 - MAHAVISHNU ORCH. - BIRDS OF FIRE
19 - JEFF BECK GROUP - JEFF BECK GROUP
12 - GROVER WASHINGTON - WINELIGHT

admsh

Well the fidelity on that one is so so I think, and it was available before so not unique... I'm surprised Supersession and Child is Father to the Man don't take up the top spots. Two of the best surround releases of all time IMO.

bmoura

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003

Agreed. Especially since the Audio Fidelity version of Winelight is much more punchy and has more low end on it than the earlier DVD-A release.
Oh well. :)

The56Kid

Agreed. Especially since the Audio Fidelity version of Winelight is much more punchy and has more low end on it than the earlier DVD-A release.
Oh well. :)
Wow, and here I thought my Winelight DVD-A had plenty of punch and low end!

MrSmithers

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Here's the tally on May 19, the year of the lockdown (2020)

Sadly, you can see the titles at the bottom are the titles we were concerned about from the beginning.
I really had a bad feeling about the Dylan, mostly because it was a live recording - never a good thing for a surround release.
That title does seem an odd choice... Considering they could have put out Dylan's Nashville Skyline?! I guess they had access to the master tape in order to put on 'Lay Lady Lay' for The Collection?

It's one of his most popular albums, I'm sure it would have sold very well - even if Mofo put out a boring stereo SACD...

Ah well, I'm thankful for the albums we got. I'd defo add 'Spectrum' to my list now. A real blast in quad! :phones

ar surround

QQ Supporter
I finally voted on these. Two titles that didn’t make it on my list are The Best Of The Guess Who and BS&T second album.

I now have all of the DV albums which contain the tracks on The Guess Who compilation, which makes it redundant...Thank you Michael!

Regarding the BS&T album, after hearing the Robin Reel version I never listen to the AF. As I’ve said in other threads, the edited versions of the three hit singles along with the deballed EQ on these tracks are a letdown.