• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Selling CBS SQ Quadraphonic Encoder Model 4211

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lo85mi

Hi everybody.
I found in an old studio here in Italy this Encoder. I suppose it could be useful to create new quadraphonic discs or as a beautiful and very rare collector item.

Price 200 EUR + shipping from Italy (to be calculated)

IMG_20200518_154310.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_154327.jpg
    IMG_20200518_154327.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_20200518_154333.jpg
    IMG_20200518_154333.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 349
You would need the special cables to be able to hook it up, also it needs a good cleaning. Not sure just how useful it would be today, but it is an interesting looking item.

Out of curiosity, which studio? Italian quad releases are very few.

Non a real studio. It was a music cassette duplication facility, in Milan.
Cassettes were not the best medium for SQ due to azimuth errors winch could alter phase on the playback machine.
CBS apparently used a series of 301 op-amps in the phase shift circuit that others have criticized as muddying the sound although I've always thought that Columbia SQ's sounded fine, now days you could replace them with higher quality op-amps for even better sound.

Non a real studio. It was a music cassette duplication facility, in Milan.

More puzzling than ever.
So the duplicator could receive a 4 channel master for tape duplication and, due to the media of the seventies, did Quad 8 tracks and stereo-SQ-encoded cassettes?
There's only one in Italy that could had done that, Vedette records and its facilities (iirc at one time it owned Ecofina).
Or the swiss-based Senn-Sound, which did basically tape-only releases.

Back