Separate CD-4 demodulator

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my Marantz CD-400B. While some don't like the automatic carrier level feature of that unit I think that it is major bonus. I always found the carrier level set up to be rather iffy, in fact Grado says to just turn it all the way up. The automatic feature is good when records were pressed with incorrect carrier levels as well, I don't recall Cat Stevens "Greatest Hits" being that problematic to play.

Well, I have a Panasonic SE-405 and a Technics SH-400 and they are both wonderful with the SE-405 perhaps a bit better in fidelity but it's real close. I never have to readjust either one, even after changing cartridges, which I do fairly often. Sometimes, I readjust them just for the fun of it but the settings always end up being the same

Of course, the SH-400 has the capability of supporting Semi-conductor (strain gauge) cartridges and is probably the most beautiful demodulator ever made. It also has all the controls on the front so there is no moving or tipping the demodulator up or anything like that. You can also adjust the carrier levels (or separation, for that matter) on the fly for each record. The meter allows this. You will find the carrier level on any given record may be subject to changes from the outer grooves to inner.

I am currently using the SE-405 and it is just flawless when the carrier level controls are adjusted per the manual.

And "Cat Stevens Greatest Hits" sounds really good with either one.

Doug

Well, I have a Panasonic SE-405 and a Technics SH-400 and they are both wonderful with the SE-405 perhaps a bit better in fidelity but it's real close. I never have to readjust either one, even after changing cartridges, which I do fairly often. Sometimes, I readjust them just for the fun of it but the settings always end up being the same.

I am currently using the SE-405 and it is just flawless when the carrier level controls are adjusted per the manual.

And "Cat Stevens Greatest Hits" sounds really good with either one.

Doug
Where are the adjustments on the 405? I don't see any on the front or back based on the pictures.

If you were going to buy a separate CD-4 demodulator for use with maybe a more modern multi-channel amp/receiver, or a vintage one without a built-in CD-4, what would it be?

Curious which ones you think do the best job and/or hold up the best over time.

Thanks!
My 1st CD-4 demodulator was a stand alone Sansui unit & next up was the built in CD-4 in my Kenwood 9940. I've also had & used a Marantz CD-400, Clarion, JVC and Technics SH-400. Going by memory it's hard to pick a clear cut winner as each one had its quirks and ability. If things worked with no obvious distortion audibly I'd say they were too close to choose. For features & usability the SH-400 was tops. All controls mounted on the front & the meter was a real bonus. I don't know what they go for today on Ebay... I do know I gave mine away absolutely free to Disclord when I was losing interest in CD-4. I still have the Clarion & Marantz but if I got serious into it again I would probably seek out the Technics.

Where are the adjustments on the 405? I don't see any on the front or back based on the pictures.
They're on the bottom towards the rear, four of them: L & R separation and L & R carrier level. The Panasonic 405 is the only model I know of besides the Technics SH-400 that has L & R carrier level adjustment. I discovered that while recently trying to figure out the difference between the 405 and 405H. I still don't know the difference there.

I just upgraded from an SE-405 to an SH-400 a few weeks ago. It's great having all the controls on the front panel, but my favorite feature is the 'hi-blend' noise reduction--flipping that switch somehow made a number of used pressings I had previously deemed beyond-repair listenable.

Actually, the four adjustment pots on the SE-405 are about an inch from the front on the bottom. I used to think the difference between the SE-405 and SE-405H is that the "H" model is the international version with a switch to set it for the correct mains voltage but I'm not so sure about that now. I know my SE-405 is for 110 volts only.

It seems like I read something at one time that revealed another difference but I don't remember, now

Doug

If you were going to buy a separate CD-4 demodulator for use with maybe a more modern multi-channel amp/receiver, or a vintage one without a built-in CD-4, what would it be?

Curious which ones you think do the best job and/or hold up the best over time.

Thanks!
If the amp is a 'modern' one, be sure it has multichannel analog (RCA) inputs, not just HDMI. Otherwise you will have use a HDMI-to-analog converter to connect the 4 outputs of the demodulator.

If the amp is a 'modern' one, be sure it has multichannel analog (RCA) inputs, not just HDMI.
Agreed. There are quite a few out there with analog stereo inputs but much fewer are the ones with mch analog in. Gotta look close.

Otherwise you will have use a HDMI-to-analog converter to connect the 4 outputs of the demodulator.
Actually that would be an analog to HDMI convertor. Myself & others have looked extensively for this & can not find mch analog in HDMI out gadgets.

Actually that would be an analog to HDMI convertor. Myself & others have looked extensively for this & can not find mch analog in HDMI out gadgets.

That's because the maker would have to pay expensive HDMI licencing fees, as Chucky has explained for why the Surround Master does not have HDMI out.

Agreed. There are quite a few out there with analog stereo inputs but much fewer are the ones with mch analog in. Gotta look close.

Marantz is one mfgr. that has multi channel analog inputs.

My problem is that I need both analogue multi channel inputs and a modestly sized AV amp to fit in the space I have available. I have the funds for top models, but generally they come in enormous casework and don't fit.

Actually, the four adjustment pots on the SE-405 are about an inch from the front on the bottom. I used to think the difference between the SE-405 and SE-405H is that the "H" model is the international version with a switch to set it for the correct mains voltage but I'm not so sure about that now. I know my SE-405 is for 110 volts only.

It seems like I read something at one time that revealed another difference but I don't remember, now

Doug
Thanks for the correction Doug, now that I look at the photo again I can see the RCA jacks and grounding post on the other end, and I had my orientation backwards. I did find an image of a multi-voltage SE-405 recently, but it was the National/Panasonic branded model SE-405.

4.jpg 5.jpg

What scant photos I have of the SE-405H include this:

2.jpg

Not only a 405H, but a 405CH? But alas, the unit extracted from the box in that auction was only labeled a baseline 405. The mystery continues.

Thanks for the correction Doug, now that I look at the photo again I can see the RCA jacks and grounding post on the other end, and I had my orientation backwards. I did find an image of a multi-voltage SE-405 recently, but it was the National/Panasonic branded model SE-405.

View attachment 67227 View attachment 67228

What scant photos I have of the SE-405H include this:

View attachment 67229

Not only a 405H, but a 405CH? But alas, the unit extracted from the box in that auction was only labeled a baseline 405. The mystery continues.

Yes, a bit of a poser.

Doug

Thinking about it more, I believe the different model numbers had to do with what cartridge was supplied since these were originally sold with a semi-conductor (strain gauge) cartridge. The SE-405 came with an EPC-460C cartridge and I believe the SE-405H came with an EPC-450C-II. I don't know but maybe there were minor internal differences within the base unit for the different cartridges but maybe not, too, and the model number simply reflected which cartridge was included.

Doug

Back