Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott, my status looks the same (I'm in Sydney) and I thought the same as you, but looking at the details further down the UPS tracking page I'm not so sure:

1599974770963.png

I think they're still in LA waiting to get on a plane. At least I hope it's a plane and not a boat or carrier pigeon!

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday afternoon 9/12. I check my mail on the way to work a night shift and so I've not gotten to play it yet.

I know I'm going to like it because I like the QR conversions and this will be the same except better - master tape quality.

This does have a nice quality feel with perfect cover reproductions, and inner sleeves. I like how the first album included here TS has a matte finish cover like original LPs did.

Yessss, four albums for $60 shipped is just so right. Not a cheap set, but not a rip at all.

I just like old quad better than 5.1 in most cases. And I like late 60s - 70s music better than the later stuff.

My Oppo player is going to love these too I just know it.

Scott, my status looks the same (I'm in Sydney) and I thought the same as you, but looking at the details further down the UPS tracking page I'm not so sure:

View attachment 56269

I think they're still in LA waiting to get on a plane. At least I hope it's a plane and not a boat or carrier pigeon!
Mine looks like that too. Looks like they're playing handsies so far but no worse than I expected. We knew it would take a while. As I said on another forum, I expect you guys will be awaiting on your Carly quadio set before I get my Doobies!

Mine arrived on Thursday. I have heard the quad mixes of the first two albums so far. Sounds great and I love the detail to (original) packaging. At around $15 a disc this is the best value for the price for a multi-channel release yet.
WB/Rhino is rolling out Joni Mitchell archive releases. A Quadio set by Joni would be welcome. Or maybe give Sony the incentive to do a Santana quad box set.

Mine arrived on Thursday. I have heard the quad mixes of the first two albums so far. Sounds great and I love the detail to (original) packaging. At around $15 a disc this is the best value for the price for a multi-channel release yet.
WB/Rhino is rolling out Joni Mitchell archive releases. A Quadio set by Joni would be welcome. Or maybe give Sony the incentive to do a Santana quad box set.
I would say DV 2-fer releases are an equally good value and sometimes even better for 4.0 Quad on SACD. If you've not checked them out you should grab the Guess Who or Earth Wind and Fire, etc.

It came.

Four cute little five-inch albums, just like Chicago!
Love it. I think I like little mini versions better than the originals.
Very cool.

Unwrapped and put in my least fave first, Captain. Just press close and off it goes, no menu BS.
Straight to dts.

First thing is ... sound quality.
Jesus.
Even if you have the Dolby quad reels as I did ... forget it.
Not even in the ballpark.
First sound shocked me, turned my head. Really?
Sounds like 2020. Those transients!
There is no way to compete with 15 ips 1/2” masters direct to digital. Just isn’t.

Haven’t heard the quad mixes of the two hits in many years but remembered them well. China Grove — those mentioning the harsh trebly EQ of the lead guitar are right. It’s in the tape. Ditto with the bass coming in (correctly) later than on Scheiner’s 5.1 mix. And it is somewhat “triphonic”, having not much in the right rear but tambourine, reverb, and lead guitar during the break.

As for Long Train Runnin’, well ... the backing (answer) vocal is a little jarring in the rear. But that’s mostly because it’s mono. Had that element been stereo, it would have worked fine. Likely why Scheiner opted to leave it up front.

But wait ... what’s this? This mix is not the one on my Q8 or CD-4. That mix I grew up with had an unmuted, unwelcome snare drum on the second verse. Or was that the 5.1? Pretty sure it was the quad. However this happened, the track is better off without it.

South City Midnight Lady sounds great until the chorus with the background vocals in mono, front center, and too low in level. This is handled much more appropriately in Scheiner’s mix.

As I’ve said before, overall I prefer the 5.1 mix on this album. China Grove in particular sounds fuller, less trebly, with better bass and balls on the 5.1 mix. But there’s no getting around one fact: every track here is discrete. Very discrete. I couldn’t argue against that even if I were inclined — and I ain’t. If real old-school discrete quadraphonic is what you crave, get ready to chow down.

God bless our friends at Rhino.

When it comes to surround sound, I say this:

Fuck subtlety.
😸🎶
Interesting if here they have fixed a glaring bit mistake on the original quad mix.

I hope others can comment on this.

or an AEROSMITH set to say the least!!! :D (y) :SB :love: :cool:

or an AEROSMITH set to say the least!!! :D (y) :SB :love: :cool:
Aerosmith is a Columbia / Sony act and will never be issued in the Quadio series from Rhino.

But you could post in another thread that you would like them to be reissued. But I think Eagles and Aerosmith are both acts that went "superstar" and make demands and have the right of refusal. So not likely.

Aerosmith is a Columbia / Sony act and will never be issued in the Quadio series from Rhino.

But you could post in another thread that you would like them to be reissued. But I think Eagles and Aerosmith are both acts that went "superstar" and make demands and have the right of refusal. So not likely.
Yes I know that Rhino wouldnt do it.....but Sony Japan could do a 7" SACD set of "Wings, Toys & Rocks" :love: :D (y) :SB

It would appear that Sony isn't interested in licensing out any Aerosmith material, quad or stereo. No reissue label (MoFi, AF, AP, etc) ever got a shot at those classic albums. Check the release history of those three albums on Discogs and all you'll find in the last two decades or so are remastered CDs and vinyl reissues direct from Sony. Looking back, we were extremely lucky to get the 5.1 mix of Toys.

It would appear that Sony isn't interested in licensing out any Aerosmith material, quad or stereo. No reissue label (MoFi, AF, AP, etc) ever got a shot at those classic albums. Check the release history of those three albums on Discogs and all you'll find in the last decade or so are remastered CDs and vinyl reissues direct from Sony. Looking back, we were extremely lucky to get the 5.1 mix of Toys.
Well IMHO.....SONY would be STOOPID not to, they could do it themselves...because it would open up the FLOODGATES for the AEROSMITH catalogue!!

Back