Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. Guys like 'Bullmoose' are certainly worthy and worth our support, as they have supported us all along.

Exactly what I was thinking earlier, but didn't want to get into either a long-winded back and forth, or worse, an argument. If I can get this 2 months earlier, I'll use Live Nation (official Doobies store), but I'll never use Rhino again. I'd like to add to my Bullmoose points, and of course support them as I've done since 2007. We'll see.

I don't really understand the quasi-outrage over this being an artist store exclusive for a couple of months.

The live music industry (of which the Doobies surely make most of their money these days) has been disproportionately affected by the shutdown, and I don't think the end of that is in sight until a COVID vaccine is developed or the pandemic burns itself out - either way I don't think you'll see full-scale touring until next year at the earliest. This isn't just about the band itself - touring supports a whole ecosystem of talented people including instrument techs, sound and lighting people, roadies, merch sellers and so on. Much like the movie industry, it's the actors you might see on screen (or in this case, musicians on stage) but it's all those people in the credits doing jobs that you might not fully understand (best boy? key grip?) that count on that gig for a paycheck.

It may not be a perfect solution, but at least record shops and the like will probably be able to re-open in the near future whereas the same can't be said for the band's ability to tour. And let's be honest with ourselves, how many people were going to buy this from any place other than Amazon? Even if the band's webstore doesn't offer the kind of knock-down discounts and easy shopping experience, I'm ok with putting a little extra money in the coffers of of Doobie Bros. Inc. (or the Rhino webstore, the label that's making this happen in the first place) rather than Jeff Bezos's pocket, especially at a time like this when voting with your wallet has more of an effect than simply being a moral or ethical statement.

I don't really understand the quasi-outrage over this being an artist store exclusive for a couple of months.

The live music industry (of which the Doobies surely make most of their money these days) has been disproportionately affected by the shutdown, and I don't think the end of that is in sight until a COVID vaccine is developed or the pandemic burns itself out - either way I don't think you'll see full-scale touring until next year at the earliest. This isn't just about the band itself - touring supports a whole ecosystem of talented people including instrument techs, sound and lighting people, roadies, merch sellers and so on. Much like the movie industry, it's the actors you might see on screen (or in this case, musicians on stage) but it's all those people in the credits doing jobs that you might not fully understand (best boy? key grip?) that count on that gig for a paycheck.

It may not be a perfect solution, but at least record shops and the like will probably be able to re-open in the near future whereas the same can't be said for the band's ability to tour. And let's be honest with ourselves, how many people were going to buy this from any place other than Amazon? Even if the band's webstore doesn't offer the kind of knock-down discounts and easy shopping experience, I'm ok with putting a little extra money in the coffers of of Doobie Bros. Inc. (or the Rhino webstore, the label that's making this happen in the first place) rather than Jeff Bezos's pocket, especially at a time like this when voting with your wallet has more of an effect than simply being a moral or ethical statement.

I got news for you Dave. Amazon NO longer has the best prices on Music discs. ImportCD, IMO, DOES! But I will probably support RHINO as they DID MAKE THIS HAPPEN and it also might be an encouragement for them to assemble other 'BD~A packages' from their revered QUAD vaults.

See the source image

I got news for you Dave. Amazon NO longer has the best prices on Music discs. ImportCD, IMO, DOES! But I will probably support RHINO as they DID MAKE THIS HAPPEN and it also might be an encouragement for them to assemble other 'BD~A packages' from their revered QUAD vaults.

See the source image

Amazon isn't the big player in the surround releases anymore....not like they used to be...some that already have prime will go there if it's competitive...but it's not the first place I look anymore...I've actually bought more surround purchases from amazon UK than the US amazon in the past few years...one of the reasons has been the earlier release date...sometimes a month earlier in the UK

Amazon isn't the big player in the surround releases anymore....not like they used to be...some that already have prime will go there if it's competitive...but it's not the first place I look anymore...I've actually bought more surround purchases from amazon UK than the US amazon in the past few years...one of the reasons has been the earlier release date...sometimes a month earlier in the UK

But Clinty, AmazonUK just 'jacked up' their s/h to the States from £3.06 to almost £12 per disc. Even with VAT removed, still outrageous! Thankfully, D~V only charged £13 to ship out my recent order of 5 QUAD SACDs via PRIORITY mail and I did comment on that in the D~V Classical June 2020 release thread! I used to buy a ton of stuff from AmazonUK but buyer BEWARE!

See the source image

Jeff Bezos: The Man With NO SHAME! [and when's he going to buy Hair Club for MEN]?

Last edited:
But Clinty, AmazonUK just 'jacked up' their s/h to the States from £3.06 to almost £12 per disc. Even with VAT removed, still outrageous! Thankfully, D~V only charged £13 to ship out my recent order of 5 QUAD SACDs via PRIORITY mail and I did comment on that in the D~V Classical June 2020 release thread! I used to buy a ton of stuff from AmazonUK but buyer BEWARE!

As you know I've been "out of the loop" for almost a year now....but even eliminating amazon UK...I would look at importcds....and bullmoose before I would even consider amazon...and when it comes to "singles"(not box sets)...music direct always gets a look...

As you know I've been "out of the loop" for almost a year now....but even eliminating amazon UK...I would look at importcds....and bullmoose before I would even consider amazon...and when it comes to "singles"(not box sets)...music direct always gets a look...

IMO, ImportCD has the BEST prices on SACDs except for MoFi Stereo SACDs which they've 'inexplicably' jacked up to $38 [$8 ABOVE MoFi's LIST PRICE] so I would agree, best to buy those MoFi's from Music Direct especially when they have their frequent sales.

AmazonUS does have GREAT deals on UHD4K and BD~V discs save for Best Buy/Target's frequent sales.

Last edited:
Just think of this as a "Rhino Handmade" release, sold directly by Rhino, that will eventually be sold at retail.

I do NOT feel bad for any big name retailers, as it was the retailers who failed to support the new 5.1 products in the 2000's. I can't tell you how many retail stores I went into and asked "Where are your DVD-A's? SACD's?" and they said "We don't carry those", or "They don't make those anymore", etc. What a joke. I got so annoyed at some of these places. The ones that sold them (Best Buy, Media Play, etc) I did support and buy things from, but they NEVER restocked the good titles which added a big nail in the coffin of the product.

What good is getting 3 copies of "Hotel California" in to sell, selling them, then never getting any more copies? All that did was annoy the people looking to buy stuff, as all they found was the shitty Silverline stuff no one wanted to buy as that was all that was left in the bins. Of course, those people ended up buying one "to try", and they sucked, so they never bothered with it again.

No. Sorry. I don't feel bad for the retailers. :devilish:
My experiences have been even more interesting... I would enter the Best Buys, Circuit Citys, and regular Record / CD stores and ask for DVD-Audio, SACD, or DTS CD and the response was "What is that?". The only place that knew about these formats, was a place in NY called LaserLand whose core business was 12 inch Laserdisc sales & rentals. I actually blame the record, and electronics companies more than the retailers, as it was the licensing and incompatibility that destroyed the formats. My2¢

You mentioned Laser Discs....anybody remember Ken Crane's...you could get that pre recorded message on new releases..and that catalog they mailed you...that's a great memory..
I ordered a few from Ken Crane's, the stand out for me was the A.R.M.S concert Laserdiscs. It was so cool to buy something from the other side of the country... Almost as cool as a wireless infrared remote control for the 19 inch trinitron with 15 channels of direct access tuning...

The place I remember that had the biggest selection for DVD-A and SACDs MC was my local Fry’s. They had multiple long aisles of it at one time (maybe 20 years ago :unsure:). I got quite a few titles there, and within about a year they cleared that section out and nada. It would be a veritable gold mine now. If I only knew then what I know now, and the prices were pretty good also. Now they’re basically out of business.

You mentioned Laser Discs....anybody remember Ken Crane's...you could get that pre recorded message on new releases..and that catalog they mailed you...that's a great memory..

I ordered my Fleetwood Mac Rumours DVD-A from them. When it arrived, it was a BOX of them!! Yes, a box with 24 or so copies of the Rumours DVD-A. (They charged me for one)

Because I had bought many a LaserDisc from them and felt some sort of loyalty to them, I emailed them and told them what happened. I thought I would get a big pat on the back, and honesty banner, a 10% off my next purchase, heck, I would have taken just a "Thank You". But no, they replied matter of factly to "Ship them back and we'll credit you the postage".

Thanks a lot! :)

I ordered my Fleetwood Mac Rumours DVD-A from them. When it arrived, it was a BOX of them!! Yes, a box with 24 or so copies of the Rumours DVD-A. (They charged me for one)

Because I had bought many a LaserDisc from them and felt some sort of loyalty to them, I emailed them and told them what happened. I thought I would get a big pat on the back, and honesty banner, a 10% off my next purchase, heck, I would have taken just a "Thank You". But no, they replied matter of factly to "Ship them back and we'll credit you the postage".

Ah, Ken Crane.....remember them well. A class act ......bought literally hundreds of items from them. Imagine if you had sat on those Rumours DVD~As......probaby could've bankrolled a few OPPOs ........ until Warner Japan re~released it as a multi~ch SACD!

See the source image

Last edited:

See the source image

See the source image

Last edited:
Back