Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone compared the original Quad mix of Captain & Me with the DVD-Audio 5.1 mix? I just ordered the Quadio from Rhino also! They will be happy with the pre-orders.
I think @sjcorne did in a thread somewhere, maybe he can point you towards it?

I talked about it a bit here and here (and on the 'Listening To Now' thread a few months ago). In short, I agree with @himey that both mixes are pretty good. My opinion swings back-and-forth: the new 5.1 is a bit better balanced at times (a couple of the songs on the quad push the drums into one speaker or leave one quadrant nearly empty), but I prefer some of the more aggressive mixing choices on the quad. I tend to opt for the 5.1 lately just because the sonics of the DVD-A are so much better than the old quad LPs/tapes, but that could definitely change now that we're getting a high quality transfer of the quad mix. I'm looking forward to more discussion on comparing the two once everyone's sets arrive :)

hopefully the double drummers are mixed with enough separation in the quadios....like one would experience when seeing the Doobs live. One drummer to my right, one drummer to my left

I can't wait to hear the Quad version of this, my favorite and the song I feel is the best song the Doobies made across all 4 albums in the Quadio set:

Wow, really good song! I've only had a passing interest in the Doobie Brothers & don't ever recall hearing that one.
But I'm all in for the Quadio set😆

hopefully the double drummers are mixed with enough separation in the quadios....like one would experience when seeing the Doobs live. One drummer to my right, one drummer to my left

The song "Road Angel" on Vices has the two drummers split hard left/right in the rear channels, and some (most?) of the songs on Stampede have one drum kit mixed in stereo across the fronts and the other across the rears.

Wow, really good song! I've only had a passing interest in the Doobie Brothers & don't ever recall hearing that one.
But I'm all in for the Quadio set😆
The Doobies have so many awesome songs, and for some reason this one just gets overlooked. When I listened to the Captain and Me dvd-a for the first time (20 some years ago), this song just blew me away. Truly the group is at it's peak jammin' on this song.

The Doobies have so many awesome songs, and for some reason this one just gets overlooked. When I listened to the Captain and Me dvd-a for the first time (20 some years ago), this song just blew me away. Truly the group is at it's peak jammin' on this song.
Yes, Clear as the Driven Snow is one of those deep cuts that is clearly of blow-away status especially in high resolution surround.

Thanks so much for the link and code. I was effected by the storm on Tues like Jon. No power or water for two days but now I'm back. Important question! How do I find out how Rhino will be shipping? Moving from Western MA to Maine around the release date.

Found my answer under Rhino's Help Center page. Back to the Doobies, What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits is probably my favorite. Decades ago I got a copy of the Q8 version on a DTS disc from Tab Patterson. He did an excellent job. He did this by machining and converting the drive on his RTR deck for 3 3/4 ips and then mounting another set of playback heads to allow playback of Q8 tapes on his RTR. This allowed better tracking of the tape and speed control to reduce wow and flutter. Quite a feat! Does anyone know if Tab is a member of this site or if he is still around? His web sit is still up Home Page . Don't think much has changed on it since I last looked.

I'm curious about shipping to Sweden...if you don't mind telling us...what did it cost you?
It’s US $15 standard international shipping. Well, I actually contacted Rhino regarding shipping from US, asked if it could be sent from UK. Not really about the shipment but rather other costs (other taxes, forwarding charges) when outside EU. I will see how they respond.

Back