Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am really interested in Toulouse Street. That has to be the $#!+. I have Captain & Me on DVD-Audio and really like it. In your opinion do you prefer the Quad or 5.1? I personally love the Quads of Dark Side & Wish more than the 5.1 mixes.

I like the 5.1 Captain & Me 100 times better than any of the James Guthrie Pink Floyd mixes. Dark Side Alan Parsons mix got me into the surround world and is still a top favorite of mine although I think it could use an updated remaster. All the quad mixes of the Doobies are better than really good. I can't choose the 5.1 Captain & Me over the quad, especially since I haven't heard a "proper" release, only a reel conversion, but even with the reel dub, I go back and forth between it and my DVD-A version. The origional production on these are great too which helps.

I have all this Doobies stuff on CD-4. It sounds really good. I know this would sound better, but by how much?

These are mastered from the 1/2" analogue QUAD master tapes running at 15 ips and IMO, Vinyl with its eccentricities and the limitations of the CD~4 demodulators would suggest you will finally be 'lavished' with what was experienced in the studios when these albums were initially recorded.

And if you've heard the Dutton Vocalion QUAD SACDs likewise mastered from the original analogue tapes, you will know the Columbia SQ QUAD vinyl is NO match for D~V's exceptional remasterings!

Last edited:
The whiner at Second Disc is the same kind of people that complain whenever a new greatest hits/best of compilation is issued by a label. "I already have all these songs because I own every album by this artists, so what is the point of this release?" mmmm... For people who DON'T own every album (and maybe don't want to) by that artist?

I'm not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but does anyone have a sense of how many of these are being pressed? I'm hoping to wait to order from my local retailer (Bull Moose), but I wouldn't want to be locked out by having it sell out before it goes to general retail. Does anyone know if a certain amount of boxes is being set aside for the wider retail release?? Thanks for any info!

Did anyone here experience any issues with the Rhino site saying that your credit card was not a valid method of payment? I've tried two cards, both of which I know are good to go, and I got the same message each time. Maybe there's some minor discrepancy in my address that isn't matching with the credit card billing address?? If so, that would be annoying, but it's the only thing I can think of right now.

Did anyone here experience any issues with the Rhino site saying that your credit card was not a valid method of payment? I've tried two cards, both of which I know are good to go, and I got the same message each time. Maybe there's some minor discrepancy in my address that isn't matching with the credit card billing address?? If so, that would be annoying, but it's the only thing I can think of right now.
Not method of payment for me, but it did require me to go back and input my street address manually (didn’t auto fill) in a lower additional line that could be easily missed, so make sure all the fields have appropriate data. Might also try, leaving the site, dumping your cache, and start over.

I had the same problem. I gave up and used the PayPal option (with the same credit card connected ;-)) and viola - no problems!

Thanks for the replies. I did manually enter my address but to no avail. I may need to go the PayPal route.

I prefer using PayPal when available, pretty sure that’s what I used also.

Yeah, I typically use PayPal, but when it's a preorder where they charge your card/take the money out right away, I often use a card, in case there are any issues and I need to dispute a charge (Not that I've ever had to do that). Again, thanks for the info!

Yeah, I typically use PayPal, but when it's a preorder where they charge your card/take the money out right away, I often use a card, in case there are any issues and I need to dispute a charge (Not that I've ever had to do that). Again, thanks for the info!
Ive always used PayPal for my orders at any organization that accepts it (other than Amazon, not sure why?), because PayPal has always gone up to bat for me, especially when something arrives damaged or isn't the correct item etc. At times ive even gotten the item free....especially when dealing with overseas sellers on eBay!!

Back