Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love how grown adults act like kids at Christmas time waiting for their packages to arrive. Mine is scheduled to arrive within the next couple of hours.
339f610c1e40e1371adf08e1d32e33b2.gif

It would be be good if it ever moved!
USPS Currently Awaiting Package
A status update is not yet available for your package. It will be available when the shipper provides an update or the package is delivered to USPS. Check back soon.
That tells me that the UPS-USPS handoff hadn’t happened yet. That would appear to be on UPS.

Mine arrived yesterday (via Rhino.com). After sampling most of the first 2 discs I think y'all will be quite pleased with the mixes. Instruments are placed discretely in all 4 speakers and effective use of fantom center (front and rear) for vox and lead instruments. Everything gels nicely and fidelity is strong.

I ordered one from The Doobie Brothers web page and one from Rhino.
Rhino has at least been good about tracking.
But I’ve heard little from the DB.

It seems my main USPS office held it for almost two days before sending to the local office for delivery. It now says it’s out for delivery today. They usually come through with that promise. What irritates me, is UPS Tracking notices that claim a package will arrive on a particular day then gets pushed back a day or two.
Now, the bigger question is; can I get Mrs. Pupster to sit through 4 cranked up DB albums in a row? Time to get creative and perhaps dig deep into what I’m willing to pay 👅

Now, the bigger question is; can I get Mrs. Pupster to sit through 4 cranked up DB albums in a row? Time to get creative and perhaps dig deep into what I’m willing to pay 👅
I can totally relate and since mine should be here today I am determining the same-what am I willing to pay to play all 4 since my wife is home today.
Also the new Pineapple Thief was delivered today and Crazy Eyes DTS should arrive today too. I was hoping for them all last weekend when the wife was working.

On Captain & Me, there is a short track listed as "Busted Down Around O'Connelly Corners" that is not listed on the album sleeve. Is this a bonus track for the surround release, or is it just intro music for the track that follows? I'm not familiar with the original album. It appears to also be on the 5.1 DVD-Audio. Just curious.

It's a short (under a minute) acoustic interlude between "Evil Woman" and "Ukiah".

Captain Menu.png

Mine finally arrived today! Cranked up Toulouse Street before my gig today and was seriously impressed. Can't wait to crank the rest tomorrow!

My wife still can't fathom why I would have bought this box set. She also can't figure out why this is a band I want to listen to in surround sound. "They're just a basic rock band, what possibly could be flying around the room and sound cool?!?" (At least she kind of gets why surround is great).

One wonders why UPS has to handle it before USPS gets their paws on it and does the actual "grunt work" of getting it across the finish line. That bears some looking into I would think...

How USPS handles mail and packages is why they are always getting bashed. If they would handle stuff in an efficient manner, they might save $$$$$ and be more reliable and profitable so they can hire more postal workers. I can't tell you how many mail items go all over the place to get to me. And I'm sure others have the same experience.

Even this example, the product went from Carlsbad, CA. to Fontana CA, (90 miles north it took 3 hours for the package to arrive in Fontana). I'm OK with that.

Then took 3 days to go to Bridgeport, NJ! Why 3 days (72 hours)? Throw the stuff on a plane, 6 hours to East Coast...or am I just insane. I would think 1 day from Fontana to Bridgeport.

Bridgeport is a little over an hour from where I live. It took 1.5 days from Bridgeport, NJ to Morrisville, PA. (53 miles). Out for delivery today.

Why couldn't the package go directly to Morrisville from Fontana?? Morrisville is a huge P.O. hub, as is Hamilton NJ, which the package could have went there too and it would have chopped off 1-2 days.

They could have saved almost 4 days of handling the package. But what do I know, LOL :SB

Let me sound like an old man yelling at a cloud for a moment, but really. The only thing Rhino has done wrong, in my eyes, was send out those shipping notices too early. They would have been better off not sending them out at all.

In the old days, we would order something then wonder when it would show up, waiting and maybe being anxious, then being happy when it finally showed up.

Today, if we don't get something within a week of the release date, we're screaming and bitching and demanding refunds. Isn't that a bit much? I haven't gotten my ordered copy yet, but I am sure it will get here. I know it's been 2 years since this was announced and we all can't wait to get it and we're frustrated, but trashing a company and demanding refunds is a bit much, IMHO, especially when you consider the mess the post office is in at the moment.

OK, I'm done, I need to follow that cloud

EDIT NOTE: This post is not directed toward any member or any group of members. It's merely my opinion and not the official opinion of QQ. I am also speaking of the Rhino shipping notices and delivery. I have nothing to say about purchases from the Doobies store, other than I hope y'all get them soon

Last edited:
Got my set yesterday and started listening to the first 2 discs today. Damn, this some stunningly gorgeous surround sound music. I have all the MoFi SACDs, plus the DVD Audio 5:1 of The Captain and Me, and these blu-rays are better. South City Midnight Lady from The Captain and Me is delightful. I promise all those who have not received your copies yet, it was definitely worth the wait. My only hope is that Rhino realizes just how popular these releases are, and dusts off more for future releases. I consider The Doobies and the Chicago Quado boxes to be jewels of my collection.

Got my set yesterday and started listening to the first 2 discs today. Damn, this some stunningly gorgeous surround sound music. I have all the MoFi SACDs, plus the DVD Audio 5:1 of The Captain and Me, and these blu-rays are better. South City Midnight Lady from The Captain and Me is delightful. I promise all those who have not received your copies yet, it was definitely worth the wait. My only hope is that Rhino realizes just how popular these releases are, and dusts off more for future releases. I consider The Doobies and the Chicago Quado boxes to be jewels of my collection.
Ha- nice to finally hear from you - first post Graboid ?:)

When I got home last night, The Doobies Quadio was waiting for me! I tried to contain myself throughout dinner. As soon as I cleared the dishes, I delicately asked my wife if she wouldn't mind getting the funk outta the living room, where she was grading, so I might listen to Quadio (while simultaneously doing some homework for one of my classes). She graciously acquiesced, I plopped in Toulouse Street, cranked up the AVR and . . . was dumbfounded at what a piece of crap I was hearing: there seemed to be very little discrete action and some of the sound came across as weak and buried within the mix. Incredulous, I made my way around the back speakers and tried to readjust myself in the sweet spot--still crap! Had I finally done irreparable damage to my hearing? Had I hyped this mix beyond what was sonically possible? Was I having a bad flashback? WTF?!? The Captain and Me was even worse! How could this be happening? I tried to pretend all was well and just do my homework. By the time the a cappella section of "Black Water" came on What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits, I lost my shit and got up to explore.

Ha! I had totally forgotten that my Sony UBP X800 does NOT play 4.0 mixes! I stopped the Blu-ray, put it in the OPPO, and W O W! ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING I had hoped for and dreamed about! Can't WAIT to get home from my practicum and get lost in the sonic bliss!

I have all the MoFi SACDs, plus the DVD Audio 5:1 of The Captain and Me, and these blu-rays are better. South City Midnight Lady from The Captain and Me is delightful.

Having now heard the Blu-Ray, I'm really torn on which surround mix of "South City Midnight Lady" is better. The 5.1 doesn't really engage the rear channels until the first chorus, but Scheiner's restraint somehow makes it all-the-more powerful when the backing vocals suddenly appear behind you. I miss that extra detail of being 'surrounded' by the harmony vocals on the quad.

The quad mix utilizes the rears right from the beginning, and I like having the breakdown guitar solo directly behind me instead of upfront. I guess some combination of the two would've been the 'perfect' mix for me, but we're lucky to have two excellent surround mixes of that great song.

Re the above Rhino chose the shipping method so they are still responsible.
Plus I got a free security breach and they left it to the mother corp Warners to send a letter when they could have easily sent an email right away.

Anyways my mail app says a package is being delivered today and the info lines up with the Rhino info so this could be arriving. Any delays from today would be on the post office.
I expect to be ecstatic over a quality product that Rhino is responsible for and they deserve accolades for that.

Back