Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be on sale because of the problem with it? My copy only plays the left front channel when playing the DTS-HD Master soundtrack.
"normal" -DTS plays fine. There must be something wrong with the discs since I have other DTS-HD Master blu-rays that plays just fine.
However Rhino has sent me a new one. Hope it will decode OK

Could it be on sale because of the problem with it? My copy only plays the left front channel when playing the DTS-HD Master soundtrack.
"normal" -DTS plays fine. There must be something wrong with the discs since I have other DTS-HD Master blu-rays that plays just fine.
However Rhino has sent me a new one. Hope it will decode OK

No...they wouldn't sell something with a defect at a lower price

No I understand that, but I've seen comments in other places that there are problems with the decoding. Of course not for everyone
but some, and that could be the reason for lowering the price.

some equipment can't handle the higher resolution 192kHz 24-bit signal (my old Denon AVR can't do Audyssey MultEQ processing at that resolution for example) and some equipment can't assign content arranged in a 4.0 configuration to the correct channels and needs at least a 5.0 source to properly steer elements to the correct channels.

some equipment can't handle the higher resolution 192kHz 24-bit signal (my old Denon AVR can't do Audyssey MultEQ processing at that resolution for example) and some equipment can't assign content arranged in a 4.0 configuration to the correct channels and needs at least a 5.0 source to properly steer elements to the correct channels.
What AVR are you currently using Freddie?

What AVR are you currently using Freddie?

the venerable Denon AVR-2310 i got from steelydave 5 years back, which is my only working one now! every other AVR i bought the last 20 years either blew up on me or became hideously obsolete 😂

edit: watching the tennis (in Dolby Digital, no less) thru it at the mo. its really been a Godsend what with this Lockdown etc.

C20DACFC-40A5-40A3-8CA3-916403182640.jpeg

edit: AVR-wise since 1995 i've had a Sony, a Cambridge Audio, 2 x Denon's and 3 x Yamaha's.. all gone to goodwill apart from Dave's Denon so that should tell you something! 😂

Last edited:
I still think that's a great budget amp, and one of the last Denon model years that had 5.1 analog inputs in their non-top of the line models. So happy it's still getting use too, I was absolutely gutted to have to part ways with it and my KEF speakers when I left the UK.

I still think that's a great budget amp, and one of the last Denon model years that had 5.1 analog inputs in their non-top of the line models. So happy it's still getting use too, I was absolutely gutted to have to part ways with it and my KEF speakers when I left the UK.

its beautiful, thank you Dave ❤️
i literally would not have survived the isolation of this pandemic with my one remaining brain cell intact without it!! 🥰

the venerable Denon AVR-2310 i got from steelydave 5 years back, which is my only working one now! every other AVR i bought the last 20 years either blew up on me or became hideously obsolete 😂
:eek: I've been lucky then! I got my Yamaha RX-V530RDS in 2001 (its in reserve, and I only changed it as it had no HDMI) and my Pioneer SC-LX86 in 2013 which is going strong (apart from the lack of compatibility with the newer HDCP 2.2 over HDMI :mad:)

:eek: I've been lucky then! I got my Yamaha RX-V530RDS in 2001 (its in reserve, and I only changed it as it had no HDMI) and my Pioneer SC-LX86 in 2013 which is going strong (apart from the lack of compatibility with the newer HDCP 2.2 over HDMI :mad:)

I have an older ONKYO in my bedroom which is still going strong and I got around the HDCP 2.2 incompatibility by plugging the video out from my OPPO 205 directly into my LG OLED TV's HDMI input thus bypassing the AVR altogether [and of course the audio from the OPPOs second HDMI output directly into the ONKYO]. LOOKS and SOUNDS Great.

I have an older ONKYO in my bedroom which is still going strong and I got around the HDCP 2.2 incompatibility by plugging the video out from my OPPO 205 directly into my LG OLED TV's HDMI input thus bypassing the AVR altogether [and of course the audio from the OPPOs second HDMI output directly into the ONKYO]. LOOKS and SOUNDS Great.
I did that with the NUC and my 203, but I didn't want to have to do that (as Oppo is no more :( and I want to keep it as long as possible), so I did use an HDCP converter and audio extractor but that limited it to 5.1 so in the end I got an Odroid N2 which was happy with the Pioneer, and kept the NUC for other things.

I asked earlier in this thread, and the response from our man at Rhino is there were no names on the tape boxes.

Ted Templeman definitely oversaw these remixes as it's mentioned a couple of times in old issues of Billboard - I think it's almost certain (but apparently unprovable if the tape boxes are blank) that the guys that did the stereo mixes, either Lee Herschberg (who was the head of WB's quad program) or Donn Landee, or both of them together, did the quad mixes.

wb_vanmorrison_quad.jpg

I asked earlier in this thread, and the response from our man at Rhino is there were no names on the tape boxes.

Ted Templeman definitely oversaw these remixes as it's mentioned a couple of times in old issues of Billboard - I think it's almost certain (but apparently unprovable if the tape boxes are blank) that the guys that did the stereo mixes, either Lee Herschberg (who was the head of WB's quad program) or Donn Landee, or both of them together, did the quad mixes.

View attachment 63184
Makes sense it was them based on that evidence and the lack of bothering to credit anyone else.
Thanks!

Back