Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is still scheduled as a September 4th Direct-To-Customer release, available on the Rhino and (I believe) Doobies web sites with a list of 79.98. On November 6th, it goes out to retail.
Hooray!

NOTE: I pulled the two images Steel Woole posted in the old, closed thread and added them to this post of his. I hope he doesn't mind. I wanted to be sure that everyone saw that this was real so they could start gathering the funds! :)

:-jon

quadio 2.png

quadio 1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is still scheduled as a September 4th Direct-To-Customer release, available on the Rhino and (I believe) Doobies web sites with a list of 79.98. On November 6th, it goes out to retail.
Hooray!

:bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing:
:bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing::bowing:
:51QQ
[Ignore the two useless speaker cabinets behind the dancing banana]

We're not worthy, much respect, sir.

Hooray!

$20 a disc is a STEAL for this stuff. OK everyone, I expect a full assault on the Rhino site when this thing gets posted. It's what we should do! After all, we're the first to complain that stuff does not get released, so here you go. Out of the quadraphonic grave yard a phoenix arises. Go get that sucker. Heck, get 2! :)

Show those bean counters that we have the beans! :rocks

...especially considering that a reel of Vices sold for $125 back in April:

View attachment 53344

No kidding. I bet there will be a flood of Doobies Q8's and Q4's appearing on 'the bay' over the rest of the summer.
This reel in particular has been known to go for over $300 at times over the past 10 years.

In general, what format would the masters for these releases be in? I mean, at the time, when the quad mixes were prepared/mixed down from the 16 or 24 track 2", was there a specific 4 track format (like 4 track 1") for the masters that was generally used for quad masters in the early-mid 70's? Or did they just mix to 4 tracks on 16/24 track 2"?

In general, what format would the masters for these releases be in? I mean, at the time, when the quad mixes were prepared/mixed down from the 16 or 24 track 2", was there a specific 4 track format (like 4 track 1") for the masters that was generally used for quad masters in the early-mid 70's? Or did they just mix to 4 tracks on 16/24 track 2"?

That's a good question, and I would assume that it might be different label by label. I just remember that once over at SHF, he once complained that they accidentally sent him over the quad masters of an album he was working on instead of the stereo master, so they must be the same size/physical container.

I can't speak for the Doobie Bros. releases specifically, but all the quad masters I've seen have been on 1/2" 4-track tape. I think pretty much every one has been 15ips, with the exception of Art Garfunkel's Angel Clare which was 30ips, mostly because Roy Halee was a real stickler for sound quality.

What would the unofficial discs floating around out there have been derived from?
Clean needle drops or Q8’s?
the ones I have heard were remarkably good

/SNIP/ all the quad masters I've seen have been on 1/2" 4-track tape. I think pretty much every one has been 15ips
That would make sense since stereo is usually 1/4" @ 15 ips. And I believe the Capitol (mostly) 3 track format was 1/2". I just don't recall ever seeing a discussion about the format of quad masters.

These were half-inch 15 i.p.s. masters. One per side! I would like to think pre-orders would appear in July.

Back