Setting Up Home Theater / Listening Room

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to figure this out Duncan and J-Pup.
So Ethernet Cat6A comes up from router/modem into new room.
Then goes into switch or USB Extender?
I want the HDMI and USB to go from PC to DAC which is about 14' apart from each other.
Does the USB/HDMI information travel through the Ethernet cable?
I guess I don't quite understand.
Motu
I'll have to defer to @DuncanS for any network advice Mark; I'm a real bonehead for that stuff!
I just do simple switches for my home network.

Trying to figure this out Duncan and J-Pup.
So Ethernet Cat6A comes up from router/modem into new room.
Then goes into switch or USB Extender?
I want the HDMI and USB to go from PC to DAC which is about 14' apart from each other.
Does the USB/HDMI information travel through the Ethernet cable?
I guess I don't quite understand.
Motu
Ethernet cable goes to switch. Then from the switch to whatever else needs a network connection.

Use the USB extender on the 14' USB connection from PC to DAC (if you need it).

The only thing that travels through the ethernet is network data.

Ethernet cable goes to switch. Then from the switch to whatever else needs a network connection.

Use the USB extender on the 14' USB connection from PC to DAC (if you need it).

The only thing that travels through the ethernet is network data.
The USB extenders don't use an ethernet switch, just Ethernet cable. So you run a Cat6 (1Gb) Ethernet cable under the floor, (ideally to a wall plate) then plug in an 'Extender' at either end like https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+exte...usb+extender,aps,236&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-o-p_7_12 as I have been pondering whether to do this in the future. But, they do not connect into an Ethernet Switch/Network as far as I know, so just use the ability of Ethernet signalling to work better than USB over long distances.

I had been looking at https://www.amazon.com/Extender-165...95269855&sprefix=usb+extender,aps,236&sr=8-19

Then you plug in the USB DAC etc. to an the Extender and one end and from the USB to the PC at the other.

So if you change DAC etc. and it needs the latest USB version, you can get new Extenders rather than ripping the floor up every time. I have a 60+ year old house so its a lift once or the floorboards will break or worse squeak when you walk on them.

I have my whole house wired with twin Cat6, into every room and a 24-port Switch in the Loft, plus Satellite, TV, radio cabling into every room as well. It was a do once and never again. Then I started musing about USB!

The USB extenders don't use an ethernet switch, just Ethernet cable. So you run a Cat6 (1Gb) Ethernet cable under the floor, (ideally to a wall plate) then plug in an 'Extender' at either end like https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+extender+over+cat5e+or+cat6&crid=FRVNB1HV3396&sprefix=usb+extender,aps,236&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-o-p_7_12 as I have been pondering whether to do this in the future. But, they do not connect into an Ethernet Switch/Network as far as I know, so just use the ability of Ethernet signalling to work better than USB over long distances.

I had been looking at https://www.amazon.com/Extender-165ft-4-Port-Ethernet-Cat5e/dp/B07VN3FBW3/ref=sr_1_19?crid=FRVNB1HV3396&dchild=1&keywords=usb+extender+over+cat5e+or+cat6&qid=1595269855&sprefix=usb+extender,aps,236&sr=8-19

Then you plug in the USB DAC etc. to an the Extender and one end and from the USB to the PC at the other.

So if you change DAC etc. and it needs the latest USB version, you can get new Extenders rather than ripping the floor up every time. I have a 60+ year old house so its a lift once or the floorboards will break or worse squeak when you walk on them.

I have my whole house wired with twin Cat6, into every room and a 24-port Switch in the Loft, plus Satellite, TV, radio cabling into every room as well. It was a do once and never again. Then I started musing about USB!

I didn't realize the USB extenders went through Ethernet. Marpow, what is the issue with locating the PC in the equipment rack? Fan noise? drive noise? With the drives, you can still place them in the closet and connect with ethernet.

I didn't realize the USB extenders went through Ethernet. Marpow, what is the issue with locating the PC in the equipment rack? Fan noise? drive noise? With the drives, you can still place them in the closet and connect with ethernet.
I know and that is the real question. When I started not wanting to put the PC in the main rack was because my NUC was driving me crazy with fan noise.
I bought this PC today, Fanless PC.
The guy explained to me that the NUC's have essentially little mini hair dryer fans that have been annoying to his clients.
So assuming this new PC is deadbone quiet I can ethernet under floor to a second switch connect and have the USB and HDMI less than one meter in length.

It must be the Radian graphics card in that model. I have a NUC8i3BEH and there’s no fan noise ever.

So, this is the room I'm thinking of turning into my home theater room. Think it will work? Suggestions on arrangement?
da15d666dc52cb3abe3a3bfe3ae98b41l-m2626410997xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg123_1(6).jpeg123_1(4).jpeg

Finally got an actual order arrival today. This is one of the last things I need, the audio rack, that is like needed on the final day, oh well, what did God say, "the first is last and the last is first"?
I purchased this brand VTI Amp Stand 3 racks starting with amp stand on bottom, then a 13" rack and topped off with a 9" rack.
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg

Last edited:
So, this is the room I'm thinking of turning into my home theater room. Think it will work? Suggestions on arrangement?
View attachment 54222View attachment 54221View attachment 54220
Looks like it has potential to me! My older son in law had a semi-finished basement like. After he committed to charging ahead 1st thing he did was spray paint the beams & duct work black. He has a projector so not only does that keep reflected light from affecting the image but it means the ugly ceiling just sort of goeas away when watching something.

Looks like it has potential to me! My older son in law had a semi-finished basement like. After he committed to charging ahead 1st thing he did was spray paint the beams & duct work black. He has a projector so not only does that keep reflected light from affecting the image but it means the ugly ceiling just sort of goeas away when watching something.
I agree with Sonik, that is one way. If did it that way then you would want to insulate the outside of the duct work and your height speakers would be the enclosed type with hangers. You could also tack up batten insulation or hard insulation, R-30 is 4" thick.
Or
Pre wire everything in your ceiling, insulate and sheet rock, looks like you would end up with 8' ceilings. The challenge is the duct work. Estimates are free, have a HVAC/Sheetmetal guy what ever you call them in your neck of the woods and ask, can I rework this duct work because I want to put a home theater in this place? Many people when they finish a room they have build a soffit for the duct work.
Looks like a great place and a few questions answered you would be on your way @ubertrout .

I unpacked the audio rack order as they say on package any disputes need to be reported within 10 days of delivery, probably at least a month until I am ready for set up, but unpacked so there are no surprises, all good. Put one of the 3 together, perfect exactly what I want.
View attachment 54331
Looks nice Mark; and good and deep!

I unpacked the audio rack order as they say on package any disputes need to be reported within 10 days of delivery, probably at least a month until I am ready for set up, but unpacked so there are no surprises, all good. Put one of the 3 together, perfect exactly what I want.
View attachment 54331
Looks nice. Looks expensive. I guess you've transcended the cinder block & pine shelving stage of your life.

Looks nice. Looks expensive. I guess you've transcended the cinder block & pine shelving stage of your life.
I discovered a few years ago when I channelled in the Ethernet & Satellite/TV etc. cables that all the inner walls are made from Cinder Block (made from gas works coke residues, the house is 67 years old) which produced soot when chiselled or drilled an awful mess :(, and destroyed vacuum cleaners! But all the alcoves now have pine shelves full of CDs/SACDs etc. :D

Some progress today. Electrical rough in done. Well all that back and forth with the Cat6, and I took the electricians advice, also based on the fact putting the PC in closet and running 18' HDMI and USB was kind of ridiculous. So, Cat 6 runs from modem in kitchen, under house, up in garage and up into the room at point of audio rack, then a second Cat 6 runs from the audio rack switch back. He explained if you can go Cat 6 directly to the first switch at the audio rack your much better off, then going thru 2 switches from the closet and then the audio rack. Hopefully 4 ceiling speakers and wire will arrive tomorrow and by next weekend I will be ready for, sheet rock patch, paint and floor.
IMG_0564.jpg

This picture shows electrical outlet on left and Cat 6 box on right.
IMG_0565.jpg

This picture shows run of electrical on right with piece sticking up will be the floor outlet where the power recliners can plug in and Cat 6 on left.
IMG_0566.jpg

This picture shows left box electrical, next Cat 6 in and out, the quad box will be where the two floor and four ceiling speaker wires come together and out. Then far right is another electrical box. the yellow romex going up the wall will be for the wall outlet that will be behind the TV.

Back