Setting Up Home Theater / Listening Room

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will call today a win. The room, not the rig is 100% done, thank God, no more tools, paint, anything.
I finished my closet cabinet. Loaded discs inside that where either collectible, Japanese SHM SACD Boxes, any discs that had video content, blu rays, SHM CD's, Hi Res Box Sets, just a bunch of stuff, mostly the other 1000's of discs, I just keep in shop.
I stored all my ATMOS discs to the side in anticipation of the four XLR cables that seem like they will never come. Electrical issue still there.
IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0847.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg

I will call today a win. The room, not the rig is 100% done, thank God, no more tools, paint, anything.
I finished my closet cabinet. Loaded discs inside that where either collectible, Japanese SHM SACD Boxes, any discs that had video content, blu rays, SHM CD's, Hi Res Box Sets, just a bunch of stuff, mostly the other 1000's of discs, I just keep in shop.
I stored all my ATMOS discs to the side in anticipation of the four XLR cables that seem like they will never come. Electrical issue still there.
View attachment 57301View attachment 57302View attachment 57303View attachment 57304
Gorgeous..that's the way to have your discs..
I am a bit crazy and get rid of all the jewel cases(blurays, DVDs etc) I can...I still have a lot of boxes!!!
:smokin:smokin:smokin:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

View attachment 57301View attachment 57302View attachment 57303View attachment 57304

Where in the world are you getting these cables from?

If you are really using XLR balanced +4 dBu cables with balanced inputs and outputs, you should have very little hum even if there is a ground loop.

This is not true if either an input or an output is "impedance balanced" instead of truly balanced.

My trick for these is to make a short adapter with one XLR plug and one socket, and wire it up with a 10-ohm 1/2 watt resistor in the ground line (pin 1 on the 3-pin plug/socket). You can also buy a ground loop remover box at musician supply stores where you get the XLR cables.

You are ordering cables? I just go to the music store and buy them when I need them.

I thought I provided enough space for CDs when I built my cabinets. I now have three times that many.

Sorry I just need to vent. I have been so stressed chasing down this noise, but I am a rat dog in the dirt, I won't bore you with all the combinations I have done.
Three Rel Subs.
The new S/812 was to be for my front left and right. Picked up all interference, driving me crazy.
The new S/510 was to be used for my center speaker, does not work at all wherever I put it. with or without .1LFE.
My trusty S/5 that I have had for years works great no matter where I put it.
It is a major fucking pain in the ass to tune a system. What I am learning is you have to do it yourself, like I am, there is no way a tech could come in and work 8 hours and nail it.
As frustrated as I am I now feel good that I am 100% as to the problems. Now lets see if REL steps up.
Where in the world are you getting these cables from?
I think there being made in China or Taiwan, or wherever Audioquest does there thing.

If you are really using XLR balanced +4 dBu cables with balanced inputs and outputs, you should have very little hum even if there is a ground loop.

This is not true if either an input or an output is "impedance balanced" instead of truly balanced.

My trick for these is to make a short adapter with one XLR plug and one socket, and wire it up with a 10-ohm 1/2 watt resistor in the ground line (pin 1 on the 3-pin plug/socket). You can also buy a ground loop remover box at musician supply stores where you get the XLR cables.

You are ordering cables? I just go to the music store and buy them when I need them.

I thought I provided enough space for CDs when I built my cabinets. I now have three times that many.
Fortunately I have a shop in the City and I basically store all my stuff there. I started out just storing at this new spot with just the big surround boxes, but I now have enough room to bring in all my box sets, even just CD box sets.

Sorry I just need to vent. I have been so stressed chasing down this noise, but I am a rat dog in the dirt, I won't bore you with all the combinations I have done.
Three Rel Subs.
The new S/812 was to be for my front left and right. Picked up all interference, driving me crazy.
The new S/510 was to be used for my center speaker, does not work at all wherever I put it. with or without .1LFE.
My trusty S/5 that I have had for years works great no matter where I put it.
It is a major fucking pain in the ass to tune a system. What I am learning is you have to do it yourself, like I am, there is no way a tech could come in and work 8 hours and nail it.
As frustrated as I am I now feel good that I am 100% as to the problems. Now lets see if REL steps up.

I think there being made in China or Taiwan, or wherever Audioquest does there thing.

Mark, just a warning here, as I'm not trying to discourage you, but in my experience, the REL learning curve is pretty steep. Its not a consumer based "auto tune" type of system like Dirac Live, and it will take time to figure out how the software works, and then, even more time to use it to adjust the system. I've had it installed for years and i'm still not good with it. I do think the pros can nail it in 8 hrs because of the experience level they possess. They also aren't wasting time figuring out how to run software.

Mark, just a warning here, as I'm not trying to discourage you, but in my experience, the REL learning curve is pretty steep. Its not a consumer based "auto tune" type of system like Dirac Live, and it will take time to figure out how the software works, and then, even more time to use it to adjust the system. I've had it installed for years and i'm still not good with it. I do think the pros can nail it in 8 hrs because of the experience level they possess. They also aren't wasting time figuring out how to run software.
I totally agree with you. I have had a REL for years. I am confident enough I can get pretty close before fine tuning comes into play. I guess what I mean by 8 hours is the entire set up, placement, cabling, all the little pieces can't be done in 8 hours, having a tech come with familiar REW or DiracLive with Mini DSP, etc, sure less than 8 hours.
My problem is I have one sub that does not work and another that my gut knows isn't working right. I am not worried as I am in my warranty period and if need be I can just swap at there Berkeley headquarters across the bridge.

I totally agree with you. I have had a REL for years. I am confident enough I can get pretty close before fine tuning comes into play. I guess what I mean by 8 hours is the entire set up, placement, cabling, all the little pieces can't be done in 8 hours, having a tech come with familiar REW or DiracLive with Mini DSP, etc, sure less than 8 hours.
My problem is I have one sub that does not work and another that my gut knows isn't working right. I am not worried as I am in my warranty period and if need be I can just swap at there Berkeley headquarters across the bridge.
Been awhile on your new theater room Mark, any new updates to report?

Been awhile on your new theater room Mark, any new updates to report?
Thank you for checking in.
Been in frustration and limbo, but getting real close to end.

Two new subs both crapped out. One was DOA and the other had a pretty good hum to it. Won't go into all the scenarios of chasing it down, because the end result is REL just said no problem and replaced them both. So now all three subs are working. The real good news of this story is Paul, the western regional manager actually came over my house and offered assistance, was a great learning experience and a lot of fun. Needless to say I will only recommend REL.

The new universal remote with a upgrade to WIFI installed, I hated it, screwed up my network, pulled it all out, and took me quite a few hours to get my WIFI and ethernet thing back together. They are very understanding, getting my money back and going with another remote. re installing this week I think.

Still waiting for (4) XLR's and one HDMI, supposed to come this week.

I have been going back and forth on room correction, but think I am just going to go with my ears for now, it should be OK. I think I will order the starter pack from GIK Acoustics, two side reflection panels, two bass traps, and two diffusers.

I have been watching and listening a lot, even though it is not tuned yet, proper speaker position, etc, but I hope to have the final pieces by end of this week, push the rack against wall, lay the carpet down, and just tune it up.

Sure, it's been frustrating but have learned a real lot and all my decisions have been good, I wouldn't redo anything.

Seems like forever but The Lazy Caterpillar is almost done, rack in place, carpet down, speakers basically in place, all calibrated by tape, pressure meter, Audessy and ears. Sounds fantastic, but still need to figure out my room wall treatment. The stereo image is really great to the point listening to a good stereo release vs the same in a crappy surround is a no brainer to stick with the stereo.
I think today I will go thru all my notes and literature and put that away for good. I also have a picture with all my cables that are not lamp cords to let the anti tweakers cringe, that said constructive comments, speaker placement always appreciated. This has taken months longer than I thought but this is my final resting place and wanted to get it right, for me. I have already moved the rears a little closer to seats and angled the subs diagonally. REL told me as an experiment that is free before spending money, put a pillow behind subs in front corners to get an idea of what a difference a corner bass trap would be, more or less.
IMG_0912.jpg
IMG_0914.jpg
IMG_0916.jpg
IMG_0917.jpg
IMG_0918.jpg
62681877268__28562762-F5CF-4409-8FF8-5AAEF7EF2AAB.jpg

Seems like forever but The Lazy Caterpillar is almost done, rack in place, carpet down, speakers basically in place, all calibrated by tape, pressure meter, Audessy and ears. Sounds fantastic, but still need to figure out my room wall treatment. The stereo image is really great to the point listening to a good stereo release vs the same in a crappy surround is a no brainer to stick with the stereo.
I think today I will go thru all my notes and literature and put that away for good. I also have a picture with all my cables that are not lamp cords to let the anti tweakers cringe, that said constructive comments, speaker placement always appreciated. This has taken months longer than I thought but this is my final resting place and wanted to get it right, for me. I have already moved the rears a little closer to seats and angled the subs diagonally. REL told me as an experiment that is free before spending money, put a pillow behind subs in front corners to get an idea of what a difference a corner bass trap would be, more or less.
View attachment 59231View attachment 59232View attachment 59233View attachment 59234View attachment 59235View attachment 59236
Looks fantastic, Markie!

After a two month wait, finally got my GIK Acoustic panels in, almost, missing two 48" X 48' side reflection panels.
1. The first picture is (3) 24" X 2" side absorption panels, not installed just sitting down stairs, have to mount the two 48" panels first to create the proper spread, but there not here yet. I got the art prints, scenes that make me feel good.
IMG_0989.jpg

2. This picture are the rear wall diffusers, 4 of them, the closet panels and the little cut out where the entry door is.
IMG_0994.jpg

3. This picture are the bass traps. Had to modify them a tiny bit as they both went over the outlets that the two subs plug into. Fairly easy to correct and then I added shims at the very bottom to tighten them up against the wall.
IMG_0993.jpg

Now, I am certainly not concerned but will have to recalibrate the system as subs got moved and just over all sound although an improvement needs to be dialed in for the improvement.
Speaking of improvement, right off the bat, hands down a large improvement, the biggest is those little high vibrations went away and bass is as smooth as silk, can't wait to dial in the final.
Almost there.

After a two month wait, finally got my GIK Acoustic panels in, almost, missing two 48" X 48' side reflection panels.
1. The first picture is (3) 24" X 2" side absorption panels, not installed just sitting down stairs, have to mount the two 48" panels first to create the proper spread, but there not here yet. I got the art prints, scenes that make me feel good.
View attachment 62141
2. This picture are the rear wall diffusers, 4 of them, the closet panels and the little cut out where the entry door is.
View attachment 62142
3. This picture are the bass traps. Had to modify them a tiny bit as they both went over the outlets that the two subs plug into. Fairly easy to correct and then I added shims at the very bottom to tighten them up against the wall.
View attachment 62143
Now, I am certainly not concerned but will have to recalibrate the system as subs got moved and just over all sound although an improvement needs to be dialed in for the improvement.
Speaking of improvement, right off the bat, hands down a large improvement, the biggest is those little high vibrations went away and bass is as smooth as silk, can't wait to dial in the final.
Almost there.
Awesome, Markie!

Looking good, I really like the way the tweeter and mid range drivers line up horizontally accorse the front. I'm sure they meld together well.

Looking good, I really like the way the tweeter and mid range drivers line up horizontally accorse the front. I'm sure they meld together well.
Yeah, you know that took a lot of measuring via the web for me to figure that out. I knew that's what I wanted (lining up the tweeters) but, what rack was I gonna get? So I had a little cardboard mock up and I would take different measurements on line from different rack companys and I came up with this VTI brand. They are not the most stout, but they where not that expensive and have been real good.
Thanks for noticing.

Back