SF Bay Area Surround Sound Listening Party?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seth Cluett: Lost threads and new experiments in spatial sound

Seth Cluett will present recent experiments exploring novel applications for loudspeakers in his creative work including 3d printed enclosures, non-standard multi-channel arrays, and augmented AR. He will also present rare material from his archival collection of historical documents related to the exhibition of sound in the visual arts.

Date: Wed, 04/06/2016 - 5:30pm - 7:00pm
FREE
Open to the Public

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/events/seth-cluett-lost-threads-and-new-experiments-in-spatial-sound

This sounds fascinating. I am definitely going. Just need to figure out how to duck out of work early. Thanks for the info.

Octophonic a/v performance on May 7th, here in SF! I'm going.

http://grayarea.org/event/unseen-series-recombinant-waves/

A night of recombinant improvisation. Thomas Dimuzio, Kit Young, Lori Varga, Brian Pederson and Sung Kim will present four new audiovisual works using 8 channels of video and film with 8 channels of surround audio. Leaning heavily on Bay Area history of immersive light shows, Young and Varga will be creating improvised analog, digital and voltage-controlled visuals that incorporate manipulated slide projectors, 16-mm film sources, and digital projection and synthesis. Innovator and pioneer Thomas Dimuzio’s analog modular synthesizers will both act as instruments and voltage control devices that create and respond to Young’s visuals. Dimuzio will also be modulating live acoustic performances by Sung Kim on invented instruments and Brian Pederson on baritone horn and sax. For each of the four works, instrumentation and roles roles will shift in an immersive exploration of psychedelic imagery, found footage, drone synth ambient and electroacoustic improvisation.

OK, Bay Area QQers, it's getting real. In regards to holding this surround listening party in San Francisco, some questions:

1. What would be the best evening, during the week or on the weekend, for you? More specifically, what dates no earlier than mid-June are best?
2. I can provide my Oppo BDP-103D as a transport/DAC for all the disc and file formats it plays. Are there any additional formats would you like to be able to play/share at this event, and if so, can you provide playback equipment?
3. What albums/releases do you want to hear played back on this fully calibrated Meyer system? (A/V duties are anchored by a Marantz receiver.)

I'm sending the first email to my instructor today. He's going to want more details ASAP.

Fridays or Saturdays best for Baggy. Any rare shit I can't afford! I think hearing a song or two, then getting out of the sweet-spot for other blokes is the way to go.
My listening room is being remodeled, but should be available by June. And I'm willing to drive/ride/BART to other locations too.

Fridays or Saturdays usually work for me, though it depends... Hey, does anyone have the Velvet Underground "Loaded" 5.1? Or, Pere Ubu's "The Modern Dance"? I'd love to hear either of those. Also, the new YES Fragile mix...

More Multi-Channel at CCRMA-Stanford!

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/events/well-tempered-grail-ccrma-sound-worlds-in-bing-studio-space
-------------------

The Well-Tempered GRAIL - CCRMA Sound Worlds in the Bing Studio Space
Date: Wed, 05/18/2016 - 7:30pm
Thu, 05/19/2016 - 7:30pm
Event Type: Concert
Please join us as we deploy the CCRMA GRAIL - Giant Radial Array for Immersive Listening - for two nights of multichannel music in the Bing Studio Space

The concerts will include music by:

Mark Applebaum
Natasha Barrett
Elliott Kermit-Canfield
Alex Chechile
Simon Fay
Jia Li
Eric Lyon
Hans Tutschu
Anders Tveits

and more....

Details to follow....
FREE
Open to the Public

My house is open to a party if you want? San Mateo, I have tons of surround, full blown McIntosh and B&W if that would be cool? We can drink and smoke, no rules.

So, I was under the impression that I should be pursuing setting up an event at the studio where I go to school. Was I wrong?

Back