Sgt. Pepper Multitracks Appear

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alk3997

500 Club - QQ All-Star
A number of U.S. radio station (old fashioned variety) are apparently playing some of the original multitrack recordings from the Sgt. Pepper's album. These appear to be authentic since the isolated lead vocal from "With a Little Help From My Friends" was played as a sample. Previously only a snipet of the WALHFMF lead vocal was available on the Anthology DVD. The "sample" had the full song's lead vocal. While I haven't heard it, "She's Leaving Home" multitracks have apparently been "liberated" as well.

The big question is why the various multitracks all of a sudden appearing? Are these samplers of a new CD/DVD deluxe edition of Sgt. Peppers? Did someone break into the Abbey Road vaults again? Is this a repeat of the mid-1980s bootleg appearances (which may have been testing the waters)?

For those looking for links to the multitracks, visit the Abbey Road news page.

Hey... That's kinda neat!

A far cry from getting a DVD-Audio with 5.1 surround sound, but interesting nonetheless. We loved "Love". Now that it appears someone is playing around with the multi-tracks, might just as well offer us a deluxe CD/DVD-Audio package with a brand spankin' new 5.1 surround mix of The Beatles. Right?

Ringo? Paul? Yoko? Martins? :D

I've been ODing on them all day. I love how you can hear the awesome Abbey Road echo chamber in all it's glory. Very cool!

And Paul's guitar on the Pepper title track is stinging! (Yes, it's Paul, not George).

Judging by the amount of Beatles hysteria that still goes on over at SH, they should do a mono/stereo/5.1 DVD-A - they could probably mark it at $50 and still sell millions. Even though I'm not a big fan I'd probably pay that much too... it's only money.

Judging by the amount of Beatles hysteria that still goes on over at SH, they should do a mono/stereo/5.1 DVD-A - they could probably mark it at $50 and still sell millions. Even though I'm not a big fan I'd probably pay that much too... it's only money.

I honestly don't think I would buy it. I caved in and bought Love, even though I am not a Beatles fan, and frankly it was a waste of money. I hope they do release it, if only to advance the cause of multichannel audio; but with the ocean of legacy quad stuff that could be released with relative ease, if the industry in general gave a rat's ass, they would have taken this route first. That said, anything that keeps it alive is a good thing overall.

Judging by the amount of Beatles hysteria that still goes on over at SH, they should do a mono/stereo/5.1 DVD-A - they could probably mark it at $50 and still sell millions.

There are people out there who swear that the mono mix is the definitive version. I'm surprised it's never been reissued--by contrast, the mono version of Pink Floyd's first album was just issued on CD for the second time last month.

While we're dreaming, the DVD-A should also include the rumored 1970s quad mix.

There are people out there who swear that the mono mix is the definitive version. I'm surprised it's never been reissued--by contrast, the mono version of Pink Floyd's first album was just issued on CD for the second time last month.

I am one of them. The mono Pepper kills! They used a different compressor for the mono mixes than the stereo ones. It's more "rockin'" than the stereo mix.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=333745&postcount=17

You mean the "fabled to have been around but hasn't surfaced in over 30+ years while other quad reels have" mix.

I got banned at the SH board for pushing Steve's buttons on this topic. Told him to put up or shut up, as I recall. :D

Well, he shut me up anyway. :(

Well, hardly surprising...Apple Corps just does what it wants, screw everyone else. Which is their right, of course, but you'd think they'd have the good sense to realize what fans really want(and that's not necessarily *just* remastered editions of the British albums). They did wise up a little with the pair of US-configured Lp's, but there's a lot more to be done than that.

If Apple Corps is going to ask $95 for a set, consider this: packages of PEPPER and ABBEY ROAD. The former includes: original mono and stereo mixes, and a nice 5.1 treatment, modified packaging based on the original Lp. ABBEY ROAD could include original stereo mix and a 5.1, and there must be more than a few nice outtakes worthy of release. Hi-rez for everything, but also a redbook for the stereo(at the very least).

If you're going to charge a high price for something, forget just adding packaging, offer something really new, while retaining the old.

ED :)

A quad mix made from the final four-track masters of "Sgt. Pepper" would not sound very good, since so many tracks were combined onto single tracks during bounce mixes. I suspect that that might be why it never came out in the 1970s.

A modern 5.1 mix made from the synchronized session tapes could be great.

J. D.

Coincidentally, a pretty "groovy" happening here in NYC 10/5 thru 10/8 - wish I could attend; Annual AES Convention at the Jacob Javits Center - check out the link - plenty of other cool surround related events;

http://www.aes.org/events/123/calendar/calendar.cfm

AES New York 2007
Special Event

Friday, October 5, 2:00 pm — 3:30 pm
GEOFF EMERICK/SGT. PEPPER

Abstract:
Marking the 40th Anniversary of the release of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Geoff Emerick, the Beatles engineer on the original recording was commissioned by the BBC to re-record the entire album on the original vintage equipment using contemporary musicians for a unique TV program.

Celebrating its own 60th Anniversary, the APRS is proud to present for a select AES audience, this unique project featuring recorded performances by young UK and US artists including the Kaiser Chiefs, The Fray, Travis, Razorlight, the Stereophonics, the Magic Numbers, and a few more — and one older Canadian, Bryan Adams.

These vibrant, fresh talents recorded the original arrangements and orchestrations of the Sgt. Pepper album using the original microphones, desks, and hard-learned techniques directed and mixed in mono by the Beatles own engineering maestro, Geoff Emerick.

Hear how it was done, how it should be done, and how many of the new artists want to do it in the future. Geoff will be available to answer a few questions about the recording of each track and, of course, more general questions regarding the recording processes and the innovative contribution he and other Abbey Road wizards made to the best ever album.

These vibrant, fresh talents recorded the original arrangements and orchestrations of the Sgt. Pepper album using the original microphones, desks, and hard-learned techniques directed and mixed in mono by the Beatles own engineering maestro, Geoff Emerick.

I think I've seen that on British TV, on the 40th birthday of Sgt. P'sLHCB
nice work, but not adding much to the original.

Back