Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Best of Roxy Music & Avalon SACD's. But the SW version intrigues me, especially since you're giving it high praise. I might have to spring for it plus the cover was always very nice ;)

Wilson is good for sure. He seems to be a master at layering sounds and making the whole a seamless bubble around your head vs independent sounds coming directly from each speaker. Organic is a great adjective for it. From Scheiner's discs that I have, he's darn good also.

After listening to Within You Without You, Fixing a Hole & Strawberry Fields in 5.1, I'll say it's definitely enjoyable & better than I initially thought from the title track & Lucy which struck me as kind of flat. But could be better compared to other 5.1 & even 4.0 releases I have (like yourself, comparing).

I'm now glad I bought it but hoped it would have been as stunning as Love. Maybe not a fair comparison but it's what I expected. George Martin must have added some magic sauce to that recording.

If you're contemplating buying the ROXY MUSIC boxset, wait until you can get it for a good price. I paid $64 + tax [brand new] from AmazonUS but the price is back up to $137. It's a gorgeous boxset!

As far as George Martin adding 'MAGIC SAUCE' to the LOVE remix......I keep alluding to the fact that even though Sir George was 'considered' deaf when that remix took place, he was the genius behind that wildly discrete and brilliant remix.

Last edited:
I used Audacity to decrease all channels 4dB except for the rears and it sounds almost pretty good to me.

My own tests were not quite so drastic, but worked very, very well. I think my adjustments were more like 2db. Then again, where possible, I also lifted the rears. So maybe 4db is near the sweet spot.
I can't figure out how to get my Oppo to play back FLAC without gaps between the songs though, so I just been listening to the bluray.

My own tests were not quite so drastic, but worked very, very well. I think my adjustments were more like 2db. Then again, where possible, I also lifted the rears. So maybe 4db is near the sweet spot.
I can't figure out how to get my Oppo to play back FLAC without gaps between the songs though, so I just been listening to the bluray.

I've only just figured out how to adjust channel levels on the fly, Baggy, so I really need to try that out on Pepper at last. As for gapless playback on the Oppo:

https://www.oppodigital.co.uk/enabling-gapless-playback.html

I've only just figured out how to adjust channel levels on the fly, Baggy, so I really need to try that out on Pepper at last. As for gapless playback on the Oppo:

https://www.oppodigital.co.uk/enabling-gapless-playback.html

Wow, that looks too easy through the Oppo menu. When I get home, I plan to treat myself to an AVR that can do Atmos/DTS:X and Auro-3D. Hopefully said AVR will feature easy enough channel level control.
Maybe there is a way to set up a few different levels options, such as, an automatic 2 to 4db lowering of all channels except the rears.

Not sure simple is the word I'd use. I tried cue sheets on my Anathema flac album (Weather System?) and it never worked (both ones I created following advice and ones sent to me).
Hmmm... I've never had issues with cue sheets. I'd recommend trying it with a different album to see if that wasn't some kind of freak file.

Hmmm... I've never had issues with cue sheets. I'd recommend trying it with a different album to see if that wasn't some kind of freak file.

I've never had a problem with auto-generated cue sheets, but I have had problems with ones I've tried to write or edit myself (in a text editor), almost always because of inadvertent syntax or vocabulary errors.

I think there are tradeoffs here both ways: I actually find using gapless playback on the Oppo kind of a chore. But while cue sheets indexed to a single long file are great for listening to albums (which is how I do the great majority of my listening), I can see how they wouldn't be so great for playlists & mixtapes, where you really need to have those long files split into separate tracks...

If someone has an Atmos/DTS-X setup and wants to quasi-simulate a Steve Wilson bubble, try adding the Atmos flavor of Dolby Surround or Neural X. The height element reduces the point-source characteristic of these mixes. Directionality is preserved but mixes are more immersive.

Another thing I've found - for me, the use of surround improved as I worked through each song. The ones I listened to initially, the 1st 3, were the worst. For my tastes, each song after those 3 improves a good deal. For 50 yrs (!) my favorite song on the album was Within You & Without You, and the surround version is still my favorite.

The White Album set - I wonder if they'll price it at $250 since it's 2 albums o_O If I had a vote, I'd love to have Revolver in 5.1. That's one of the seminal albums where the Beatles started experimenting with different styles, sounds and LSD.

Last edited:
If someone has an Atmos/DTS-X setup and wants to quasi-simulate a Steve Wilson bubble, try adding the Atmos flavor of Dolby Surround or Neural X. The height element reduces the point-source characteristic of these mixes. Directionality is preserved but mixes are more immersive.

Another thing I've found - for me, the use of surround improved as I worked through each song. The ones I listened to initially, the 1st 3, were the worst. For my tastes, each song after those 3 improves a good deal. For 50 yrs (!) my favorite song on the album was Within You & Without You, and the surround version is still my favorite.

The White Album set - I wonder if they'll price it at $250 since it's 2 albums o_O If I had a vote, I'd love to have Revolver in 5.1. That's one of the seminal albums where the Beatles started experimenting with different styles, sounds and LSD.
I listened last night in Auro 3D and I found it more enjoyable than standard 5.1. :)

If you ever purchase a deluxe box set please open it right away to make sure you received the correct item.

I just opened my Sgt. Peppers deluxe box set and the first thing I saw was a single 33 1/3 vinyl lp which I found odd because I didn’t see that it was included since it states 4 AUDIO CDS plus BLU-RAY/DVD on the back of the box. So, I opened what I thought was the booklet with the discs inside and it’s only a booklet. :eek:

Back