HiRez Poll Shakespears Sister - HORMONALLY YOURS [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of Shakespears Sister - HORMONALLY YOURS

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on the 2022 reissue of this 1992 release from Shakespears Sister.
The High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray edition contains 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos mixes from engineer Caesar Edmunds & original producer Alan Moulder, and was available exclusively from the Superdeluxeedition.com webstore.
The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:

(y) :) (n)
Shakespear.jpeg

Hi,
I know this thread is about the experience in 5.1 or Atmos, but has anyone been listening to the stereo track ?
It's very compressed in terms of dynamics and the audio level is low. Poor quality in my opinion.

Hi,
I know this thread is about the experience in 5.1 or Atmos, but has anyone been listening to the stereo track ?
It's very compressed in terms of dynamics and the audio level is low. Poor quality in my opinion.
This is worrisome because contrary to most here, my primary listening is done in stereo. Hope this isn’t an impulse buy that comes back to bite me.

Hmm... Great mix! But I'm kinda underwhelmed on the fidelity front... 🤔 Everything sounds a bit 'tinny' and underwhelming from an audio pov? I dunno why but I'm not digging it? I'd go with an 8 but was hoping for better...

crikey! the Surround mix is very active at times with stuff popping up all over the place! its a lot of fun! 😱🥳💘

i've only tried the streaming Atmos so far, is the BD as crispy/sibilant sounding?

crikey! the Surround mix is very active at times with stuff popping up all over the place! its a lot of fun! 😱🥳💘

i've only tried the streaming Atmos so far, is the BD as crispy/sibilant sounding?
Did you order the SDE BD?

I'm still checking mine out, seems like some of the rears are mixed conservatively low in some areas for my taste, but really enjoying the music!

I'll be back... later to say more.

I'm still checking mine out, seems like some of the rears are mixed conservatively low in some areas for my taste, but really enjoying the music!

the tinny sound I guess is because of the medium it was probably recorded in and a product of its time..the rears are quite conservative and they sound like and "afterthought", they already had the Stereo version up and decided "Hey let's throw a few things in the back!" but, hey, It's OK,,,I would give it an 8!

Last edited:

Yeah I like the music and the mix a lot. It’s just the fidelity - I’m not sure if there’s something wrong with my setup, ears, brain?! 😂 Because it sounds like a bag of nails to me. 😥 Mp3 like almost at times with really trashy cymbals?

i did Mister P, just not got around to spinning it yet 🙂

its an interesting mix, definitely not "set and forget" 🤩

Yeah I like the music and the mix a lot. It’s just the fidelity - I’m not sure if there’s something wrong with my setup, ears, brain?! 😂 Because it sounds like a bag of nails to me. 😥 Mp3 like almost at times with really trashy cymbals?
some tracks come across crunchier than others, although its generally too bright for my tastes, with "esses" on vocal sibilants in particular often being overegged.. i guess i could fiddle about with EQ or some setting on the YPAO setup and maybe get it more palatable but i'm tired of playing with knobs at the mo so i'll just keep it lower volume for now until i'm back fond of a futzin'..! 🍆😋👌

An 'agreeable' pastiche of Pop Bons Bons which will hardly set the world on fire. Not so 'tizzy' in the upper registers on my system. Nice immersive 5.1 remix.

Thanks again to Paul and SDE for keeping the Pure Audio BD~A flame alive.

Also received my jacket for Tears for Fears 'Tipping Point.' A nice touch!

I voted an 8!

A 9. I have heard worse immersion from the venerable and revered one whose initials I wont utter for fear of becoming an apostate in these parts.:D
And you certainly have a state of the art system to make those assertions.

I'm listening to it for a third time and it really does grow on you. And I'm still not experiencing any sort of 'sibilance!'

And you certainly have a state of the art system to make those assertions.

I'm listening to it for a third time and it really does grow on you. And I'm still not experiencing any sort of 'sibilance!'
hey Ralphie 🤗 do you happen to have any tone controls or EQ going on in the Front channels?

i only ask because unless i engage my Yammy's YPAO "Flat" EQ mode (which i don't use a great deal because i find it noticeably cuts the Treble of my Front Mains) some vocals and cymbals have a kind of spitty quality on my setup on this one.. 🤔

A 9. I have heard worse immersion from the venerable and revered one whose initials I wont utter for fear of becoming an apostate in these parts.:D
the Surround mixes here are very good, i'm really enjoying them but i'm not sure i've heard an SW Atmos mix with such crunchy/crispy EQ as this yet?

hey Ralphie 🤗 do you happen to have any tone controls or EQ going on in the Front channels?

i only ask because unless i engage my Yammy's YPAO "Flat" EQ mode (which i don't use a great deal because i find it noticeably cuts the Treble of my Front Mains) some vocals and cymbals have a kind of spitty quality on my setup on this one.. 🤔
I'm playing Shakespeare's Sister analogue out into my ALL analogue Parasound P7 pre~amp, totally flat response........at a moderate level. And I would definitely report if I was uncomfortable with sibilance or other negative artifacts from a subpar recording/remaster!

Are you playing it @ FLAT RESPONSE, as well, Adam?

This is a disc I had to turn the volume up more than normal, but when I did it was a huge improvement. It no longer sounded thin and it was not harsh. The surround field also opened up. Whoever made the 5.1 did a good job, as I don’t have atmos.
I don’t recall hearing the album when it was released, but 30 years later, the music holds up. It is funny, but Stay is the song I like least on the disc.

I'm playing Shakespeare's Sister analogue out into my ALL analogue Parasound P7 pre~amp, totally flat response........at a moderate level. And I would definitely report if I was uncomfortable with sibilance or other negative artifacts from a subpar recording/remaster!

Are you playing it @ FLAT RESPONSE, as well, Adam?
YES RALPH, I'M PLAYING IT @ FLAT RESPONSE 😂

you know, questions regarding setup shouldn't be dirty words or something we fear we can't mention.

i don't feel hard done by, criticised, maligned or threatened when someone suggests there may be something going on in my system and neither should anybody else! 😅

PHEW! 😋

Back