Shania Twain's Up! in 5.1 SACD Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
FYI, the new Shania Twain Up! 5.1 SACD Surround disc is out this week at Best Buy and Tower.

It features a 5.1 Surround mix that is very aggressive and room filling.

If you're looking for an upbeat and lively surround disc, this is one that is worth a listen.

Is it the "Rock" version of the album or the "Country"???
The original CD was a 2 disc set that included both versions...
I saw the SACD in the store last tuesday and it looks like a single disc. I'm just curious which version has been remixed to 5.1????
Thanks......

timw said:
I saw the SACD in the store last tuesday and it looks like a single disc. I'm just curious which version has been remixed to 5.1????
Thanks......

Maybe they could do a version with the "rock" mix in the front and the "country" mix in the rear! Actually, there were three versions of the album released - non-US markets got a third "international" mix that was a bit more "world music" in flavor.

So once R.E.M. releases their "Up" DVD-A in a couple months, there will officially be three albums with that title that have surround mixes for them.

timw said:
Thanks......

I'm pretty sure this is the "Rock" version.

timw said:
Thanks......
I have this on order, and it's been shipped, but I haven't received it yet, so I don't know. But i would imagine it's bothe, same as the CD. An SACD has the capacity of two CDs. I recently bought the "Berstein Conducts West Side Stroy" on DG. It was a single SACD, wheras the CD was two CDs, with the same songs.

surroundophile said:
An SACD has the capacity of two CDs. I recently bought the "Berstein Conducts West Side Stroy" on DG. It was a single SACD, wheras the CD was two CDs, with the same songs.
I believe that's only true if it's a single-layer non-hybrid disc, and it might only be true if it's stereo-only and not m/c (though I'm not so sure about that). If it's a hybrid, then the redbook layer is still bound by the same limitations as a regular CD, and can still only fit 80-some minutes of music on it (and the Shania album is pretty long). Now, they could probably squeeze both versions on the SACD layer, but I doubt they'd want to make the SACD layer so different from the standard CD layer.

It's definitely the rock version. I picked this up yesterday. Once again BBuys comes thru with a 'hidden' sale here in NJ. The disc was marked $15.99 and rang up at the register-$14.99! I love that store!
As Bmoura said...good aggressive surround mix. Hint:
A good disc to get your kids into surround with...my 13 yr old daughter is a Shania fan and actually thought it was cool how the music sounded coming from all around!!
Tim

Just got around to playing it yesterday. It it the "rock/electric" mix.
However, two of you called it an "agressive" surround mix. Agressive, I would NOT call it. Interesting and room-filling, yes. There is nothing that is discreetly in the rears. However, most keyboard and guitar work has a phaseyness that awashes the room from front to rear, and the background chorus is like a horseshoe u-shape from rear channels to front.

I was seeking the DVD-A for both the hi-res plus the videos (come on guys, it's Shania!) but I came across a used but NM Hybrid SACD for $6 last night and couldn't refuse. Just like Gaucho, it allows me to have both CD and SACD compatibility. I can watch the videos anytime, anywhere on YouTube so once again, I think I made the best choice. I've only listened to the CD in the car, but I like what I heard.

Now if only they had given Come On Over the hi-res treatment... :mad:

Not a big fan of the music, but a great discrete mix and the sound is good

I just picked this up at a reasonable price. Get this: I bought a sealed DVDA, opened it up and voilà - the SACD was inside!

I wonder if there would be any interest in a thread for these kinds of mistakes.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm happy about having CD capability or sad about not getting the videos! I haven't checked out the surround mix yet, but I'm enjoying the songs quite a bit for not being a country music fan.

....so it's a great/unimpressive discrete mix with nothing going on in the rears.... ;)

(i'm joking)

actually, the third version of the album was a "Bollywood" version, from my recollection. it made for an interesting trainwreck, and would probably make for, at the very least, interesting surround.

I just picked this up at a reasonable price. Get this: I bought a sealed DVDA, opened it up and voilà - the SACD was inside!

I wonder if there would be any interest in a thread for these kinds of mistakes.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm happy about having CD capability or sad about not getting the videos! I haven't checked out the surround mix yet, but I'm enjoying the songs quite a bit for not being a country music fan.

Wow, that's interesting. Be glad at least you got the SACD, I bought a DVD-A with no disc inside. No fun returning that one!

Got it recently and think it's very good I like Shania's voice. Her lyrics are a little juvenile but it's a truly enjoyable listen. I'm glad I have the dvd audio and would recommend it to anyone who likes new country style music.

Back