Shania Twain's Up! in 5.1 SACD Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the disc that introduced me to auto-tune. Not to say I don't like it overall, but I really wonder if her voice needed to be that processed.

Got it recently and think it's very good I like Shania's voice. Her lyrics are a little juvenile but it's a truly enjoyable listen. I'm glad I have the dvd audio and would recommend it to anyone who likes new country style music.

Yes, sort of County Bubblegum in 5.1 Surround Sound! :)

A bit late to this party. I just learned of this release and scored the 5.1 SACD on eBay. Listening right now, it sounds simply fantastic! I was always a Shania fan to begin with. Mutt Lange certainly helped her sound.

I've had the "up" dvda disc for awhile but recently came across the sacd surround version in a goodwill and snapped it up. On listening to both discs, the sacd sounds better by a slim margin. A little more dynamic and clear, like a slight veil has been removed. The music is very good. I don't classify it as country music, just good music and the surround mix is very good.

I missed this disc (and this thread), so I checked around the internet to see about availability, being the curious type. I found there were two different covers for the SACD. What's up with that?

up white.jpg

up red.jpg

I missed this disc (and this thread), so I checked around the internet to see about availability, being the curious type. I found there were two different covers for the SACD. What's up with that?

View attachment 63208
View attachment 63209
As far as I can remember, the top photo is the U.S. version and the lower one is the European version.
Different listings in Discogs as well. Probably same mix and songlist..but I'm sure Fredblue(Adam) can chime in and clarify.

As far as I can remember, the top photo is the U.S. version and the lower one is the European version.
Different listings in Discogs as well. Probably same mix and songlist..but I'm sure Fredblue(Adam) can chime in and clarify.
You are correct as I had the top version upon release, or at lesat my daughter did. CD is what I am talking about, never had a surround version.

I also think I remember there were two versions of this album, a country version and a rock version. I wonder if there are 2 surround versions like these?

I also think I remember there were two versions of this album, a country version and a rock version. I wonder if there are 2 surround versions like these?

I think only the 'rock' version was mixed to surround--at least that's how it is on my copy of the SACD. The label probably didn't want to spend the money commissioning two different 5.1 mixes.

yes that's right 👍
the U.S. SACD release had the white background cover art, same as the DVD-A and the red cover the European SACD.

i think they were the same but i will double check when i can next get me mitts on those discs.

hope you're keeping well in these turbulent times 🙂

Never seen the red european version here... the sacd available in Italy was the one with the white cover.

I don't need another one.... i have the white-cover version and i'm fine with it.
Too bad she didn't Come On Over too...

Back