Shazam App, easy and fun.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like stumping it with samples. There’s a Daft Punk song called “Contact” (on their popular album, Random Access Memories) that samples “We Ride Tonight” by The Sherbs. So, first off, I could be wrong but I don’t think many people know about The Sherbs (used to be Sherbet in the ‘70s). So when I heard their song on this 2013 album I was pretty surprised. So I Shazamed it and Shazam thought both the original and the sample were from Daft Punk!

Some time back, a friend handed me a thrift store find: A two hour reel of stereo tape recorded off a long, long, long gone local radio station in 1965. The music was...I don't know if "high end easy listening" is a thing, but that's sort of what I want to call it.

Shazam was able to identify almost all the songs on it with only one or two remaining a mystery.

Some time back, a friend handed me a thrift store find: A two hour reel of stereo tape recorded off a long, long, long gone local radio station in 1965. The music was...I don't know if "high end easy listening" is a thing, but that's sort of what I want to call it.

Shazam was able to identify almost all the songs on it with only one or two remaining a mystery.

Now that's impressive!

I don’t think many people know about The Sherbs (used to be Sherbet in the ‘70s)

Talk about coincidence. Sherbet were playing on the radio yesterday and I asked my wife if they ever made it in the US. Obviously at least someone has heard of them outside Australia.

You can also just ask Siri “what’s the name of this song”

Only if you have Apple Music (or whatever the iPhone music app is called) installed. I know this because I don’t use my phone for music.

Edit: I never asked Siri to name a song while it was playing - this works as well as Shazam!

Last edited:
Talk about coincidence. Sherbet were playing on the radio yesterday and I asked my wife if they ever made it in the US. Obviously at least someone has heard of them outside Australia.

They never broke the top 40. Coincidentally, “Howzat” and “I Have The Skill” both peaked at #61. The video of “I Have The Skill” got some airplay on early MTV (this was my first exposure to them), and in the early ‘90s when I started collecting records in earnest I sought it out. Since then I’ve managed to get five or six of their albums on CD, as well as a Daryl Braithwaite CD. Great band!

They never broke the top 40. Coincidentally, “Howzat” and “I Have The Skill” both peaked at #61. The video of “I Have The Skill” got some airplay on early MTV (this was my first exposure to them), and in the early ‘90s when I started collecting records in earnest I sought it out. Since then I’ve managed to get five or six of their albums on CD, as well as a Daryl Braithwaite CD. Great band!
I only know Howzat, but what a great song! Got to #4 in the UK, apparently.

Sherbet we're one of the bands i grew up with during high school in the 70s in Oz. They were primarily pop/top 40, but if you looked past that they did some great albums. I could recommend "Life Is For Living" if you're interested in sampling some top 40/prog crossover.

Now that's impressive!

Yeah, I was pretty happy about it!

If anyone is interested in the contents of the tape, I have it backed up at Jottacloud.

Those of a certain age who grew up in/near Sacramento should be careful, though: When the jingle came up I just about died from a nostalgiagasm, not having heard it in probably 50 or so years.

They were an interesting station and there's a tiny little bit of history at Sacramento Radio History 1960s - Playlist Research:

Memories of the most unusual KHIQ

One of the many unique stations that came and went in the sixties was KHIQ (105.1 FM) on the future frequency of KEWT, KRAK FM and ultimately, KNCI. Georgia Institute of Technology Professor of ECE Marshall Leach was stationed at Mc Clellan Air Force Base from 1965 to 1968. At that time the 105.1 FM call letters were KHIQ. The studios were in the lobby of the Carl Greer Inn, just off I-80. Marshall recalls this adventurous station he listened to in those days:

"KHIQ's programming was exclusively from LPs. They used no signal processing, and the light on the Hewlett Packard modulation monitor that was mounted on the wall routinely flashed 100% modulation. The transmitter and tower were located behind the Sacramento Inn.

Leach says the hotel "had a large restaurant and bar adjacent to the lobby which had an authentic theater pipe organ that was played at night. During the night one could hear the organ and the rattling of dishes and silverware from the restaurant and bar when the KHIQ announcer opened the microphone. The programming was easy listening until 7pm. From 7:00 to 9:00 the fare was more upbeat with some novelty tunes. Then from 9:00 to signoff, they played classical music. It was the most unusual station I have ever heard. They had by far the best fidelity signal in Sacramento. I have heard few stations that had a cleaner sound."

They used to play the jingle (a music box version of a bit of "The Magic Flute") once in a while almost like a shortwave broadcaster would use an interval signal. At some point I found exactly that recording on an LP of music box stuff from the Carmichael library, but the details are now sadly long lost. When I fed it to Shazam it brought up another song that samples it. Oh well.

Siri works for me in identifying music and I don't use Apple Music

Well I have to admit: I was WRONG! Today while playing a Huey Lewis CD I asked Siri, "Who sings this song?", and she replied, "It sounds like 'I Know What I Like' by Huey Lewis and The News"! So then I turned off the music and asked, "Who sings, 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida'?", and she replied, "I can't find music on your phone."

Wow - thank you, @jaap74 . I thought Shazam was cool, but this is so much easier.

Back