Sherwood car dts system

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ArmyOfQuad

I have a Sherwood DTS car system. It's great, except that the CD player is kinda crappy. At this point it will no longer even let me put a CD in the slot. Has anyone else had problems with malfunctions with this CD player? Anyways, I need to get a new CD player with a coaxial digital output to hook up to the decoder. I didn't think this would be too much of a problem, but after checking every electronic store around here I have come up empty handed. Does anyone know of any car CD player with a digital out not made by sherwood? Please reply with more info, or email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Does it have to be coax? Other wise check the dts website and look for mobile and follow the redirects. check out Alpine and Kenwood. Clarion. Panasonic, thy're out there. You could get a converter to optical also!

My Sherwood dts CD player has worked great for over a year and no problems with loading and playing CDs.
The only problem I'm having is the display is getting dimmer
and dimmer on both the decoder and the CD player.

Might be time to upgrade to a DVD player with internal dts decoder. Not sure if anybody makes one though. Possibly
one of the car dvd players have a coax digital out.
If you're in So. Cal. there was an announcement in
LA Weekly:
> dts Entertainment 5.1 Music Extravaganza
>
> Saturday May 11, 2002
> 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
>
> dvdplanet.com SuperStore
> 15251 Beach Blvd.
> Westminster, CA 92683
> 714-892-9147
> Hear Queen's A Night At The Opera DVD-A and Graham Nash's Song For
> Survivors DVD-A
>
> Kenwood will have demo vehicles for their car audio 5.1 systems.
>
> You can also enter to win a 5.1 Home Theatre in a Box and other
> prizes.
info c/o oasiscoils from the quadraphonicquad list

Vinylguy4

Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised no one else is having this problem with their sherwood player. Maybe I just got a bad one. It was pretty bad from the start. In the cold it won't play cds until it warms up, it skips the first second of the first song, and I'm not too thrilled with the antiskip, and now the motor keeps trying to eject cds even when there is no cd in it. I've had it a little over a year now, so you might want to watch out for that. So far still no luck, and I don't really have the money to go the DVD route yet. I'm still hoping to just find a simple player with a coax out, best I can find is a DVD with optical, and that's still too expensive, and doesn't have the coax. Anyways, I'll keep looking, and if anyone finds something let me know. If I find it, I'll be sure to post here what a suitable replacement is for the rest of you, in case the others start going bad too.

I give up. No one makes a car CD player with a coax digital out. It's such a shame that this system has become useless to me. I am left with no choice but to buy a complete new sherwood system off of ebay. At least I'll have a spare decoder and amp for when those go bad. I guess I'll have to start saving up for a DVD system for when this one breaks on me.

Keep an eye on Ebay as I've seen the individual components listed on numerous occasions. Would be a shame to have to buy the entire setup again, unless you get if for a killer price that is. I've had my system for almost two years now and it still works as well as the day I installed it. Good luck.

Did you look for a fomat converter to switch from optical to coax- might be cheaper that way! Or get yours fixed!!!!

A dvd player with internal dts decoder (of course i discovered that *after* buying the sherwood) that is going failry cheap is the Clarion 9755. It has a DIN unit with separate face, kinda weird, and has no amplification.
From what i've read on a site it plays CDR but doesn't play CDRW. A lot better thatn the Panasonic CQ909 which doesn't play both.
Two or three weeks ago there was a seller of this player that had a BiN of 400$ including shipping in the US; going on his website, he listed it at the same price, so this seems to be the price tag for that beast.
Here's one going on Ebay:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...1351831548

As for coax out, it's rather hard to find; a lot easier to find a optical one and buy a converter, or to make it cheap biuld a optical2coax converter with 2 or 3 components (plenty of schematic on the net).
If you're intrested in a cd changer (what better of 8 hours of multichannel music for a long trip?), the only one i've found that features a digital out (optical, of course) is a Sony, IIRC the model is 848 xplore (coloured in Red).

commercial ones:

www.minidisc.org/part_Dig...rters.html

DIY very cheap:

www.epanorama.net/documen...spdif.html

Look for the Optical TOSLINK receiver part, then you need to add three more components (a capacitor and two resistor) to decrease the voltage from TTL to Coax value. I'm using the decreaser to go from a TTL cdrom digital out to the sherwood dts decoder - and it works ok.

BTW, if you go for the clarion way, you can always sell the dts decoder with a free cd player, and just keep the amp.

The Sherwood units have problems, and when you get one be prepared to try and return it, or purchase 2. I have had 2 in my rig, second one works great. Dim display is inherent in all units. Should not fade though. I have also sent a second unit to a friend in CA when his first died. And when a friend in Chicago had problems, he tried a different faceplate and the whole thing started burning up!! Count yourself lucky if ya got a good one!!
Tad

Tad,

I guess I'm one of the lucky folks as I said above. I've never had a problem with mine and that includes the display. Mine is just as bright as every other deck I've ever owned.

mike

I've decided to start saving up for one of those clarion's talked about earlier. I've given up on the sherwood, they're crap and there is no suitable replacement. Now instead of constantly running in eject mode and never taking a disc in, it takes in a disc and then when I hit eject, the motor runs but no disc comes out. I have to keep hitting the eject button until it finally comes out. So, once I have the money saved up, it's a clarion for me. I hope this works better.

Is it possible that there is a dimmer wire connection on those Sherwood units, and could y'all be hooking that wire to power instead of the head light circuit? That would make the display dim all the time. My wife has a Jeep with automatic headlights and when the lights go on, the display on the stereo goes dim. You don't notice at night, but on cloudy days when it gets a little dark you sure do. I wonder if that could be the dim display problem y'all speak of.

The Quadfather

No, the Display was described as a problem by someone at Sherwood when the unit came out.
Tad

Regarding the Clarion 9755 mentioned earlier, I almost bought one of these on Ebay before realizing it had no amp. I'm new to the mobile surround sound world and wasn't sure where I would find a 5.1 channel car amp to power it. Also, even though the Clarion was reasonable (around $325 - $385 on Ebay), how much more will I need to invest in an amp to power this unit?
I was thinking of installing it in my motorhome and having surround sound dvd's and surround sound music, since it has the built in dts decoder and will play CD-r's.
Any help on the amp question would be appreciated.
Thanks

I know there are plenty of four channel amps out there. I don't know about a 5.1 channel amp. It would seem that if Clarion made a player, they would also make an amp. oes the unit have a four channel mixdown mode?

The Quadfather

Back when I first bought my Sherwood setup, I was dumbfounded by the size of the 6-channel amp. (Those who have the unit will back this up.) As I was planning to install it in my standard cab pickup, I decided to look for a smaller 6 channel amp rather than using the colossus provided with the system. I searched the web for over a month and never found another one made by anyone. Now that Panasonic has a new mobile dvd-a player out, you might try emailing their customer support and see what they're using for their player.

dr8track,

may you check on the manual of the Clarion player what is the maximum angle allowed for mounting? The sherwood unit i've bought for my brother 2 months ago has a 30 degree maximum, and this is very sensitive for proper dts playback - after some tests he needed to mount the unit not on the proper dash, because the angle is too high and thus the player skips a lot.
About 6-ch amplifier, other than the sherwood unit (which is really BIG!) that is possible to find on Ebay for a decent price, there are some Alpine which i've personally seen.

Back