Shostakovich: Symphony 8 (Sokhiev, 2019) Hybrid SACD from Warner Music Japan in July 2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCrutchy

Tugan Sokhiev / トゥガン・ソヒエフ「ショスタコーヴィチ:交響曲第8番(SACDハイブリッド)」 | Warner Music Japan

Warner Music Japan will release Tugan Sokhiev's live recording of Shostakovich's Symphony No. 8 (2019) as a Hybrid SACD on July 8th, 2020.

This has been available since March in the West on standard CD (although in the US it might actually be categorized as an import), but it had not yet been released in Japan. I'm not sure what motivated WMJ to make an SACD this time, but I believe this is WMJ's first classical SACD to get a release outside of Tower Records since September 2018, and the first of those to be a new release work or a Hybrid SACD since October 2017.

Interestingly, the price for the standard CD is slightly high, currently being £15.25 in the UK and €16,99 in Germany, while US resellers tend to have it between $25-30. But the only review of the disc I can find is at AllMusic. In any event, that should hopefully make getting the SACD for about $35-40 comparatively less outrageous.

As with most Japan-exclusive SACDs, I'm guessing this is stereo-only, which is fine by me. I'm just glad to see a new release SACD from a major label again, even if it must be in Japan only.

Back