Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1579623275044.png

I like bass.

Finally set-up my second OPPO... as a stereo headphone listening station (I had given my Hi-Fi Man 500 headphones and Lyr tube amp to my son, but he returned them to me recently when he got speakers for Christmas for his computer.) The vintage 80’s spectrum analyzer just makes me happy. The bottom shelf will someday be filled with 7” Sony Quads (I hope!) (the cd with the red light is my original Pulse disc... blinking since the early 90’s ... after many battery replacements😁)View attachment 45098
View attachment 45097
Nice piece of Schiit)piece of kit) Sean. I gave my OPPO BDP-83 Blu Ray player to a close friend when I picked up an OPPO 103D. I use a Chord DAVE for a stereo listening station. I’m hoping/expecting to receive my Smyth Realiser A16 sometime in late February.

Last edited:
Just picked up my second Oppo blue Ray bdp-93 in mint condition fully boxed for $50.00 Cdn. Crazy. I asked the seller why they are selling it and she said they got a PlayStation so don’t need it. Ouch.
Had the firmware been upgraded (locking out the ability to play SACD-Rs and BRs made from ISOs)?

Not sure I have yet to set it up I doubt she upgraded any firmware judging from her knowledge of what she even owned

Me for the QD-5500, no cover, no box.....)-: , I bought this reel, via my Ebay Canada , from folks from Rock Island Illinois.
You and I have some of the same equipment. I collect Sansui equip. But , since Sansui didn't make an 8 track quad player, I do have the Akai quad player . And I have an original QR6500 box , but no receiver. The price was right , so had to buy it.

What format would it not be found in most players while OPPO do?
I think there's free software to rip SACDs (foobar, AIMP). I'm just trying to find if it's worth the investment. (used one)

Last edited:
What formato would it not be found in most players while OPPO do?
I think there's free software to rip SACDs (foobar, AIMP). I'm just trying to find if it's worth the investment. (used one)
I can play the quad versions of Pink Floyd
DSOTM & WYWH on my Oppo.
These won't play on my Sony X-800 or Yamaha 1060 "universal" machines.

This is meant to be a cross thread Post with: Support QQ with money as well as words

I recently installed a new NUC and monitor in my computer area in order to process audio files quicker. I have my main Dell computer that is still adequate but 10 years old; which I installed a new 5.1 speaker system via analog cables, model Logitech Z906 (thanks @JonUrban)...
[That's tip number 1]
Then because of readings here from Garry (thanks @HomerJAU) and Dave (thanks @steelydave) about putting together a NUC system...
[That's tip number 2]
And finally; I needed a way to hook up sound from my NUC to the Logitech speakers (the NUC does not have analog connectors, but does have USB and via the SBX outs of Optical Toslink which the Logitech speakers have a couple also); and I found a random post by someone (sorry don't remember where I saw it) about an out board Sound Blaster audio unit to hook up with their NUC...
[That's tip number 3]
And now I can finally hear audio out of my NUC also while working on audio files etc.
The main point here is really that I would have struggled much longer being not sure as to how to proceed without all the great knowledge and years of wisdom available on the QuadraphonicQuad forum. It has been a critical resource for my steep learning curve into all things Surround and I am forever grateful. :D

The Sound Blaster SBX - X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro v3. (yeah, it's tiny!)

SBX.jpg

Last edited:
I recently installed a new NUC and monitor in my computer area in order to process audio files quicker.

When you have the time, try Kodi on your NUC for playback and install the skin mod I did to see your surround logos and codec info - along with disc images and an artist fanart slideshow while playing your FLAC conversions):

Example DVD Audio converted to FLAC:
QQLogo4.png

The Oppos were true universal players and can handle essentially anything you throw at them. They can play Blu-ray, DVD-A, DVD-V, SACD & CD discs as well FLAC, WAV, and MP3 files. And those are just the media I’ve attempted to play on either of my Oppos: a BDP-93 & a UDP-203.

As GOS mentioned, they’re high quality build and just keep on ticking. As comparison, my brother recently purchased a Panasonic DP UB820 because he missed out on the last sale by Oppo in 2018. It too is a universal player and cost about the same as my two Oppos ($500). But that’s the only real comparison. The Panasonic is built flimsily, features horrific menu graphics, and performs to about 1/5 of the level of an Oppo. I was very surprised at how bad the Panny compares to the Oppos.

As an indication of how good they are, used 203 and 205 players are going for roughly twice as much on ebay as what they cost new from Oppo.

There are universal players, and there are high end players. But since Oppo ceased production, there are no more high end universal players.

I have a BDP-93 purchased new in 2011 and it has the latest firmware and it plays SACD±R and DVD-A±R just fine. I don't have any BD-R to try. My Sony, on the other hand, will not play SACD±R and DVD-A±R, but it will play DVD-V±R. For that reason, I will never buy another Sony universal player.

My old Pioneer universal player plays SACD±R and DVD-A±R just fine, but it doesn't have HDMI connections so the DSD sources are only available through the analog outputs.

SACD+/-R ???? Would you kindly clarify and elaborate. Recordable SACD? Is such media available? Or does that mean SACD recorded onto DVD? or something else, I have missed? TIA.

Another Oppo feature not found on most other brands that a lot of users want (but I dont think was discussed yet) is Multichannel analog outputs. All the decoding for all those formats can be done inside the player and fed to an analog preamp, or even straight to a power amp.

Back